Mysterious Dents on Front Fender

Started off small, growing larger. Anyone else having an issue like this, or have any idea how this could happen?

I read these two threads here already

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/163922-mysterious-dents-crinkles-along-bed-fender/

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/165709-mysterious-small-dents-appearing-on-new-truck-weird/

Dealer rep says it looks like body damage, I'm not buying it, truck has been babied, no off roading, no hauling or towing.

post-138814-0-95221000-1440904747_thumb.jpg

post-138814-0-01204300-1440904841_thumb.jpg

I had a car that looked like that years back.

Someone from my work was hitting it everyday when they got out of there car.

Given where they parked it moved up and down like that as different sections of there door hit my car.

To the toon of $2300 to get it repaired on that car.

Take a close look at these dings and see if there is any paint damage at all. If these were indeed caused by an external impact, chances are there would be some superficial paint damage at least to indicate impact damage. But it really looks like some kind of defect in the metal, i.e. excessively stretched metal that is now trying to relieve the stresses in it.

I posted the thread "Mysterious Dents & Crinkles". GM definitely used inferior metal or process when they stamped our panels. It is not stress related but rather heat/cold triggered.

I live in north Jersey. I had my dents repaired by PDR in the fall (cool/dry). By late spring (warm/wet) one returned. By June, the panel looks like it has cellulite again! Like you I completely baby my Silvy!

I guess since this issue is not a hazardous one, we will have difficulty getting GM to admit they have a serious asthenic issue. So much for "made of high grade steel". Guess I better get an F-150 if I don't want my panels to look like cellulite.

Is your model a first run 2014?

JamGear

I posted the thread "Mysterious Dents & Crinkles". GM definitely used inferior metal or process when they stamped our panels. It is not stress related but rather heat/cold triggered.

I live in north Jersey. I had my dents repaired by PDR in the fall (cool/dry). By late spring (warm/wet) one returned. By June, the panel looks like it has cellulite again! Like you I completely baby my Silvy!

I guess since this issue is not a hazardous one, we will have difficulty getting GM to admit they have a serious asthenic issue. So much for "made of high grade steel". Guess I better get an F-150 if I don't want my panels to look like cellulite.

Is your model a first run 2014?

JamGear

I think that in their quest for lighter materials, GM went overboard and used sheet metal that is simply too thin. The steel it is made of can be higher strength steel, but it will not perform adequately in this application. Sheet metal must be resilient and flexible enough to accommodate differences in temperature without surface deformation.

I think that in their quest for lighter materials, GM went overboard and used sheet metal that is simply too thin. The steel it is made of can be higher strength steel, but it will not perform adequately in this application. Sheet metal must be resilient and flexible enough to accommodate differences in temperature without surface deformation.

Well put and I agree. But I paid a nice penny for my Silverado and don't think it should spontaneously start denting itself.

Archived