Mann Hummel ProVent 200

So credit goes to Spurshot for his idea and research into using a ProVent 200 on these trucks. I took inspiration idea about installing one as an oil/air separator and ran with it:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/169096-installed-add-w1-oil-catch-can/?p=1603593

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/154204-oil-catch-can/?p=1602309

My main reason for being interested in Spurshots idea was because the ProVent 200 uses a membrane for filtration rather than relying on oil removal via coalescence. In fact they offer two filter levels. I want to say the filters are good for Of less interest, and increasing importance later in this post, was the fact that these systems have integrated pressure and vacuum relief.

P200_2W.jpg

While Mann Hummels products are used as OEM items in many different applications they are unlike the catch cans most folks are running in that they dont come with a ready made bracket for mounting. As a result I had the fun of learning how bend and braze aluminum so that I could make up my own mounting bracket. As well, the ProVent intake and outtake are 1 dis so I had to source up fittings to reduce them to the 3/8 ID tubing our trucks use. Heres the result:

ProVent1

ProVent2

One of the other features of the ProVent is they have a drain opening at the bottom so that if you were to chose you can route the collected oil back into the oil sump. Not being the worlds most mechanically inclined with respect to vehicles I chose to route this down to a reservoir I mounted in a protected area up behind the front bumper.

ProVent3

I figured it was a relatively convenient place, and if need be I could later increase the size of the reservoir, and or add a drain spigot depending on my needs. The container is actually a filter housing I purchased from Tractor Supply with the filter removed and the outlet capped. They are rated to 150psi so I figured they would be suitable for this application.

So everythings installed and looks good. I go through and tighten all the fitting ups and make sure nothing is loose and fire the truck up. Annnnnnd.. apparently our trucks pull enough vacuum to cause the vacuum relief valve on the outlet side of the filter to trigger (read vacuum leak). Major Bummer!!

I havent had the chance to try it with the actual filter removed but I suspect the relief valve will still trigger which pretty much means unless Im missing something Ive either got the scrap the idea or put some thought into eliminating the relief valve. Thats of course assuming that the filter media isnt creating enough resistance as to cause a significant impact on the system. I'm in no way or form versed enough to be able to make that determination so I'll throw it out to the forum and see if anyone might have some constructive input. I'd like to make this work, but could use any advice you guys might want to throw my way.

* Edit - And we're sucking wind through the vacuum relief even with the filter media removed.

Morning update - Had a bit of an epiphany this morning taking the kids to school. The relief valves are spring loaded pistons venting to the atmosphere. By reversing the intake and outlet hoses it negates the relief valves ability to function while doing nothing to alter the filtering capabilities.

Made the switch after I got back to the house and no more vacuum leak. I gave it a test drive and it seems as if everything is functioning fine. Heck after about 5 miles I checked the inside an there was already a bit of oily vapor accumulating on walls of the dirty side of the filter. It will be interesting to see how well this works. Its also a little nerve wracking knowing that the filter media is at least somewhat reducing air flow through.

Well, the truck has not grenaded as a result of any increased air resistance as a result of the filter media. In fact I think there might be a chance that it is working rather well. This morning after taking the kids to school and my daughter to the drs. office I popped the hood right after I pulled into our driveway to see how things are looking. Its been roughly 180 miles since I installed the ProVent. The first picture is of the clean side of the filter system:

ProVent4

Basically there's really nothing to see in the image because its still perfectly clean. In this setup air is pushed from the bottom of the canister through the paper cylinder up into the clean side of the filter. The dirty side is separated from the clean side by a rubber grommet running around the edge of the filter cartridge. The cool part about it is when I pulled the filter cartridge I could see oily mist still in the dirty side and after only 180 miles I'm starting to see some accumulation:

ProVent5

If you look at the edges of the bottom of the canister you can see spatter. Also, while it didn't show up in the picture there tiny droplets of accumulation along the walls of the dirty side. While I'm not thrilled that this stuff has been cycling back into the motor for the 28,000 miles its darned neat to see that the ProVent appears to be working well. Not that the forum needs another thread to validate the need for catch cans and oil separators but I think I'll continue documenting how well this is working. If for no other reason for my own interest for comparison sake.

Anyways kudos to Spurshot for coming up with the idea of using these in our trucks. Hopefully someone might use this and the other info on catch cans to come up with and even better way to passively keep these engines clean.

Archived