2015 Sierra headlights etc. vs 2016

I currently have a 2010 Sierra CC 6.2L 6Sp and this truck has been great.

Ordered a 2015 Sierra SLT 6.2L and dealer didn't think it would process as too late in the year and that I would have to order a 2016. Just got a surprise call from dealer 2015 has arrived!

Are people having problems with poor visibility with the 2015 Sierra headlights? I seem to be led to believe the lights are poor but haven't seen anything concrete. Looks like the 2016's have LED lights which may be good or may be bad since it is the first year with them.

Any other concerns with the 2015's?

Power locking tailgate would be nice on the 2016 but it is not a deal breaker

Not sure on the Android Auto also, if that is a great feature in the 2016 or if it is more a problem since it doesn't appear to be a fully finished product. Definitely I want the best phone integration as possible.

Anyone else on the fence for a 2016?

thoughts?

Thanks

Doug

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go with a 2016. Biggest reason is the later year will be 1 year model newer/more valuable. The 2015 will have higher depreciation, nearly instantly when you drive it off the lot. ....unless you are getting some kind of huge discount. Then your considerations about new options may be important to you as well.

The warranty and free service plan is dropping from 5/100K to 5/60K for 2016 and 2 free services instead of 4 as well. The 2015 headlights are much better after the TSB is completed. If yours was just built, the TSB was already implemented at the factory months ago.

I got a 2015 on Saturday. The 2016 has some nice new features, but they weren't enough to make me wait. The remote locking tailgate, high beam assist and LED headlamps are nice, but the '16 is still lacking push button start and adaptive cruise. Those two things would have made me wait.

Good point about the warranty.

But, I really like the idea of the LED lights. No more bulbs to change. Personally, I find the new 2016 Silverado very attractive.

I think the Silverado is ugly. The Silvy isn't getting the LED headlamps, IIRC. I like the new Sierra, but not enough to pass up the better warranty and better deal.

The warranty and free service plan is dropping from 5/100K to 5/60K for 2016 and 2 free services instead of 4 as well. The 2015 headlights are much better after the TSB is completed. If yours was just built, the TSB was already implemented at the factory months ago.

I got a 2015 on Saturday. The 2016 has some nice new features, but they weren't enough to make me wait. The remote locking tailgate, high beam assist and LED headlamps are nice, but the '16 is still lacking push button start and adaptive cruise. Those two things would have made me wait.

On new build 2015's the BCM is already updated but it still comes with the Phillips bulbs not the upgraded Vousla. You have to bitch and take it to the dealer for the upgraded bulbs.

On new build 2015's the BCM is already updated but it still comes with the Phillips bulbs not the upgraded Vousla. You have to bitch and take it to the dealer for the upgraded bulbs.

Good to know. The headlights on my Denali are better than the lights on my '15 SLT. My High Country had much better lights than either, the light output was just as good as the GMT-900 trucks I had.

I think the Silverado is ugly. The Silvy isn't getting the LED headlamps, IIRC. I like the new Sierra, but not enough to pass up the better warranty and better deal.

Everyone has their preferences. That's what makes the world go 'round. You have a preference for a push button, I rue the day it comes to the trucks. I've been burned on push button ignition already.

That's disappointing they didn't go LED yet on the 2016 Chevy. Still would go with the 16 for the updated tech stuff.

Actually the '16 does get adaptive cruise, at least on the Denali. I'm betting it's part of the driver assist package and will be available on the SLT with driver assist.

Everyone has their preferences. That's what makes the world go 'round. You have a preference for a push button, I rue the day it comes to the trucks. I've been burned on push button ignition already.

That's disappointing they didn't go LED yet on the 2016 Chevy. Still would go with the 16 for the updated tech stuff.

I completely agree when my truck was purchase 2weeks later the announcement of the 2016 came in a boy was I furious I love the new 2016 especially the all terrain the dealer probably new about this and didn't tell me my previous 2014 dc to 2015cc however I'm not digging the tail lights on 2016

I completely agree when my truck was purchase 2weeks later the announcement of the 2016 came in a boy was I furious I love the new 2016 especially the all terrain the dealer probably new about this and didn't tell me my previous 2014 dc to 2015cc however I'm not digging the tail lights on 2016

You have a preference for a push button, I rue the day it comes to the trucks. I've been burned on push button ignition already.

Maybe you have mentioned it previously, but what happened?

No you don't. You tell the sales person that it's required as part of the transaction or you don't sign. Period. That's one of the great things about buying at the end of the model year - you can research the quirky things and force them to be incorporated into the deal.

My Sierra goes away today - getting a '15 Silverado Crew (have a double). I know I'll miss a couple of things truck-to-truck (Homelink, for example), but I'm getting a better headlight system. The poor lights on the 1500 Sierra have been a real sore spot for me and I've only had it six months. I live out in a very rural area, and turning from one street to another with NO additional lights around is where the poor side lighting shows up the most. You can't see the street you're turning onto until you've completed the turn.

If you're in an area with street lights and such, this is MUCH less of an issue.

I currently have a 2010 Sierra CC 6.2L 6Sp and this truck has been great.

Ordered a 2015 Sierra SLT 6.2L and dealer didn't think it would process as too late in the year and that I would have to order a 2016. Just got a surprise call from dealer 2015 has arrived!

Are people having problems with poor visibility with the 2015 Sierra headlights? I seem to be led to believe the lights are poor but haven't seen anything concrete. Looks like the 2016's have LED lights which may be good or may be bad since it is the first year with them.

Any other concerns with the 2015's?

Power locking tailgate would be nice on the 2016 but it is not a deal breaker

Not sure on the Android Auto also, if that is a great feature in the 2016 or if it is more a problem since it doesn't appear to be a fully finished product. Definitely I want the best phone integration as possible.

Anyone else on the fence for a 2016?

thoughts?

Thanks

Doug

How many miles are on your 2010? Knowing what I know now about my 2014 Silverado, I'd have a very hard time giving up my 2011 6.2 that I unfortunately traded for this truck. The earlier 6.2 engines ran great, and the transmission shifting was amazing compared to what I have now. Fuel mileage is definitely improved in the new trucks, and you'll get some infotainment upgrades (if you call them that), but man, my older 6.2 was a great running truck.

I saw one report that GM made a change to the 2016 chassis to reduce the vibration issue. Something is going on because production start dates for 2016's are later than usual.

I love push button start but only have one experience with 5 years driving a 2010 Lexus RX. Change key fob batteries every 2 years, you are sol if battery dies. Amazing convenience not digging keys out of pocket....didn't want it now love it.

The android auto/car play will be a big deal for many. Even if it's not perfect at launch the 16's will get updates. The phone software is reportedly primary, auto unit more the "slave". The 15's aren't compatible but maybe a hardware change or aftermarket solution will evolve. The 16's also have a faster processor for better performance. The superior mapping over the factory systems make this a killer feature. Better phone integration, music, texts and ease of use hands free-a lot to like, IMO.

Some new colors might be appealing! I love the new Reds and the white frost.

Pricing of the 2015's make them tough to dismiss!

Archived