How would you design the Ram-erado pickup truck?

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-67138300-1441230417_thumb.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

9/2/2015

OK Silverado fans here at GM-Trucks.com. This is just for grins and giggles, so let's not get all serious. Just image if Sergio Marchionne's evil scheme to merge GM and FCA US came to pass. Now let's go one step further and say that the bean counters looked at the 14 trims of the Ram 1500 and the dozen or so Silverado variants and said "Let's just take the best of both and make one!" Call it the Ramerado.

You know there is something, one little thing, you like about the Ram 1500. Maybe it's the diesel engine that can be nursed to 29 MPG on the highway in 2WD and tow about 8,000 pounds. Maybe its those cool optional cargo boxes on the side of the bed. Our question is what would you change on the Silverado by substituting the parts from the Ram? If your heart is so committed to the Silverado and cannot bear the thought of sullying it with Ram parts, call it the Ram-ierra. It has just as good a ring to it. Tell us in the comments how you would meld the two.

Here's your entire answer right here: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/173315-what-is-1-option-from-the-competitor-you-would-take/?

We went through this sort of exercise a short while ago, picking the options from ALL competitor vehicles that we'd like to see on the GMs. Not much UNIQUE from Dodge made the list... Dodge has a couple of features that other competitors have as well (like tailgate lock with keyfob - but that's coming already), and I'm not counting those.

IMHO, the masses have already spoken up here and said we really don't want anything from the Ram.

-Ram Boxes (optional obviously as some don't like the loss of bed width).

-Infotainment. The 8" UConnect is the best in the business, period.

-I haven't gotten to drive a GM 8-speed but the ZF one in the Ram works good so that, maybe if the GM 8 speed is poorly setup.

-The throttle responsiveness/tune of the Ram powertrain on a GM V8.

-Factory dual exhaust (again optional and not the insanely expensive Borla stuff GM has).

-The much wider variety of trim levels and customization. Ram lets you load out a regular cab, no one else does.

-Let Ram designers style it. FCA is obviously an imperfect company but their newest products to me show a company that gives freedom to designers and engineers, FAR more than GM. GM always plays it conservative and while most of their products are pretty good I feel like it wouldn't hurt them to show that they have the talent to do something unique. I know their designers and engineers have the talent but are likely held back by the suits.

I guess the frame is 50k psi, and no weird angles.

post-139084-0-82707200-1441246959_thumb.jpg

I do like the old c-channel for weldability and hackable.. but that seems to be going away. Nobody pays attention to those things anyway...

..until they are broken.

I searched for that photo first thing, as the cummins was a reigning leaning top heavy linear to rotation foot pound monster..they must have one strong set of rails.

I'd go with their frame, all else gmc on top. :)

edit:

Woops. there is a weird angle. Never mind. I'll go All gmc, dodge can go back to italy.

Archived