2016 Yukon Denali ride issues

Just spoke in person to a GM field technician assigned to my 2016 Denali with the hard ride, vibration, buffeting, air pressure issues: What you(16Denaliguy) are telling me (technician) about these issues is something that I've heard of a lot about these 2015/2016 Tahoes, Suburbans, Denali, Escalades. 90% of what you are explaining to me I've already heard many many times, owners of these vehicles are not happy (complaints) with the harsh ride, buffeting, air pressure all related to the designed sport suspension.

"These vehicles were designed and engineered with a hard firm ride - sport mode. Never going to ride soft. I've worked on alot of these SUV's. The buffeting, air pressure are a result of the designed firm SPORT suspension transmitting the road tire noise into the cabin. Can try to make it more comfortable with road force balancing and new tires if they are out of spec but you got what you got. Redesign probably will happen in 2018."

2 more tires out of spec so new tires are going on for the 3rd time. After that there is nothing that can be done to fix the issues.

I'd hardly consider my Yukon to have a sport suspension. Sure, it doesn't float like my Buick Enclave did, but it's not exactly like it rides on rails. I'm sure other full size SUVs with "sport suspensions" [Range Rover Sport, Mercedes GL65...] have firmer suspensions than the Yukon platform does, without buffeting.

If the buffeting really is a result of the suspension, why does it only manifest itself at between 40mph and 70mph?

I think this is an unintended design flaw. A bug. Hopefully it's something that can be corrected with parts and not something structural as those Toyota engineers highlighted in this paper.

--

Marc

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree...Mine is horrible around the 40mph mark and speeds above 60mph. What's interesting is with other vehicles I own/owned, it's usually around 30-40mph when tyical buffeting occurs when a single window (typically rear window) is down...which is about the same speed of when the buffeting occurs with my yukon except in this case all windows are closed!

" The buffeting, air pressure are a result of the designed firm SPORT suspension transmitting the road tire noise into the cabin. "

If this is the scape goat GM is now using, get an attorney immediately. Basically, this translates into 'we designed this flaw into the vehicle, we know we did, did not care to to you about it, and that is the way it is ... if you get sick, have headaches, vestibular disorientation (which will result in an accident), that is your personal medical problem and not GM, GMC nor the dealer's problem...so good luck with that, thanks for $70K and bugger off util 2018.

The Yukon/Tahoes were not designed with a Sport suspension but were designed with a stiff one (more to the point, those with Magnetic Ride Suspension). The 'thinking' (or excuse) behind that such suspensions would reduce roll-over accidents and make life easier on the ESC.

I'd hardly consider my Yukon to have a sport suspension. Sure, it doesn't float like my Buick Enclave did, but it's not exactly like it rides on rails. I'm sure other full size SUVs with "sport suspensions" [Range Rover Sport, Mercedes GL65...] have firmer suspensions than the Yukon platform does, without buffeting.

If the buffeting really is a result of the suspension, why does it only manifest itself at between 40mph and 70mph?

I think this is an unintended design flaw. A bug. Hopefully it's something that can be corrected with parts and not something structural as those Toyota engineers highlighted in this paper.

--

Marc

The engineer is referring to the models that have magnetic ride suspensions. Tahoe/Suburban LTZ's, Denali's and Escalades.

" The buffeting, air pressure are a result of the designed firm SPORT suspension transmitting the road tire noise into the cabin. "

If this is the scape goat GM is now using, get an attorney immediately. Basically, this translates into 'we designed this flaw into the vehicle, we know we did, did not care to to you about it, and that is the way it is ... if you get sick, have headaches, vestibular disorientation (which will result in an accident), that is your personal medical problem and not GM, GMC nor the dealer's problem...so good luck with that, thanks for $70K and bugger off util 2018.

The Yukon/Tahoes were not designed with a Sport suspension but were designed with a stiff one (more to the point, those with Magnetic Ride Suspension). The 'thinking' (or excuse) behind that such suspensions would reduce roll-over accidents and make life easier on the ESC.

"Sport" is the terminology that was used through-out numerous separate conversations with different clientele.

The engineer is referring to the models that have magnetic ride suspensions. Tahoe/Suburban LTZ's, Denali's and Escalades.

I was too! I never did get a chance to drive a non-magnetic version to feel how different it felt. From the reviews I read, the difference was marginal.

--

Marc

This 2016 Denali was purchased for road trips that we could take friends and clients with us in a luxurious and comfortable setting. So far it's not even close. Every single one of my Corvettes and Camoros rode better with no buffeting, no air pressure no vibrations than this Denali.

Here IS an observation for sure: Even after the tires were Hunter road force balanced multiple times and with 6 new rear tires being HRF balanced and installed the Denali still feels like its riding on flat spotted tires instead of rolling along smoothly.

So we are taking the 2016 Denali on a 6 hour trip this weekend instead of the Jeep GC after the last visit to the dealership, to see how the ride is over the long haul. We've just been driving it around town so this will be it's FIRST long road trip other than bringing it back from the selling dealer. After the trip the wife and I will make a decision on whether or not to try to fix this any further or pursue other avenues.

The dealerships, technicians, service managers and the GM engineer have been extremely accommodating.

Very frustrating.

Such action would be a worthwhile exercise; but, expensive. The first step would be for all of those who have this complaint to file with the BBB Autoline, FTC and NTSB. Those actions don't cost anything but time. By the same token, a single filing here and there will be the flea on the elephant's rear end. A large number of similar filings over a short window of time will get attention.

Should you wish to go the class action route, that action should be inclusive of an injunction preventing GM from selling any of these vehicle until the problems are resolved. Do not expect to get any judge to grant such an injunction ... you can however to get more press attention.

Such action would be a worthwhile exercise; but, expensive. The first step would be for all of those who have this complaint to file with the BBB Autoline, FTC and NTSB. Those actions don't cost anything but time. By the same token, a single filing here and there will be the flea on the elephant's rear end. A large number of similar filings over a short window of time will get attention.

Should you wish to go the class action route, that action should be inclusive of an injunction preventing GM from selling any of these vehicle until the problems are resolved. Do not expect to get any judge to grant such an injunction ... you can however to get more press attention.

Brilliant idea, going for an injunction to stop the further sale of such vehicles, "for the sake of public interest". That would definitely get both GM's attention as well as the media.

• 3 weeks later...

The only fix to these problems is to fix GM. To fix GM would mean a clean sweep of the executive suites (and the ineffective Board) and much of the mid-level management. Mary Barra isn't tough enough to do the job which needs be done. At the same time, the legal department is so risk adverse, they are creating risk by standing in the way of full transparency to their dealer organizations. Indeed, the manufacturer / dealer method makes you the customer of the dealer and not the customer of GM. Dealers are not about to challenge GM legally since such action would put a huge, huge dent in their bottom lines.

• 4 months later...

Pretty much the same issues with me.

Brand new 2016 Yukon XL Denali shaking at all speeds.

Been in shop more than it's been out.

No solutions.

Test drove other like vehicles and same issue.

Tech said that it may be due to the new transmission (8 speed vs 6 speed) but he didn't know.

Am talking about swapping out to another vehicle but they want me to pay more money... which isn't going to happen.

Not much help from GM either.

What does it take to get a recall going?

Thanks,

GV

• 1 month later...

NOTE: sorry, just found this thread, which is more specific to my experiences thus far than the one I posted the following reply to. BTW, I now realize that I'll need to test drive at higher speeds as well. I had no idea before today that I should be looking for this problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a 2013 Acadia Denali which, though it has some specific radio/electrical issues, rides very smoothly. My lease is up this summer so I've been looking at the '16 Yukon Denali.

Given that I've no interest in a sunroof or rear entertainment (but would like a couple of other options), I would need to special order - the dealer I visited today indicated it would be about 6 weeks to get one built/delivered. They were able to put it into their system today for transmission on Monday - though I'm not committed and have signed nothing.

They only had one on the lot to test drive ('15 - 2 WD w/20" wheels). I just took it around town but noticed a slight vibration in the steering wheel around something like 40-45 mph, though I did not go much faster with it. That one also had a delay/lag in pressing the gas pedal and getting going. I didn't think much of it, but wanted to try another just to see if there was a difference. The salesman (well seasoned) just said that it's been on the lot for months and might need the tires balanced, but it's been my experience that an out of balance tire usually has a sense of more amplitude and lower frequency from what I was seeing with this vehicle.

They just got in a '16 4WD w/22" wheels. I took it along the same path and noticed a very similar vibration - almost like a slow "buzz" feeling in the steering wheel. I could even see the wheel vibrating slightly (nothing major). My wife said that she felt it too, but she's just interested in getting the additional passenger space in this vehicle over the Acadia... since it was noticably more confined feeling than our previous vehicle (Armada). When I said something to the salesman about the similar vibration he commented that the roads around there were not in the best shape. I did notice that this vehicle had better pedal response.

When we left I noticed that the same stretches of road felt smooth in our Acadia, with the exception of the actual bumps and seams in the road which I could actually see!

I've only read a couple pages of this thread, but wonder if what I've just experienced is part of the reported issues that all of you are discussing.

If next month, when the vehicle arrives, I take it for a test drive and feel this vibration - they'll just have to sell it to someone else.

Thoughts on this??

Archived