2015 GMC Paint Scratches FIX

GMC207

Does anybody know how the Blue paint holds up? I've owned only one black vehicle and will not own another because of the effort and maintenance required. Is Blue the same, or does it hide swirls and scuffs better. My white doesn't show anything.

Thanks.

Im not sure but white is the way to go. Im assuming blue is just as much a hassle as a bad black paint job.

I had a 2012 and 2014 ford f150 FX4, both black, and never had actual scratches on the paint, some swirls here and there. The GMC paint is different and in a bad way.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't care about who's looking at my paint. I look at my paint when I'm the one paying for the truck every month. Oh I'm sorry I forgot it's a truck that I just spent over 40 grand on. Didn't know I should just not give a shit about a horrible paint job lol. I forgot we are men, we don't care about good quality products. We only care about trucks and mud. Yaaaa. Cool story bro. Tell me more.

Oh, I can embellish if you would like after that rant "bro" :nopity:

Seriously, if people would stop using the word "bro" and the price as an excuse for everything maybe this worlds generation could be fixed...

But in all honesty, sorry your black truck as some swirls in it. Did you get an answer in the other duplicate thread you started how to fix it?

Tyler

Oh, I can embellish if you would like after that rant "bro" :nopity:

Seriously, if people would stop using the word "bro" and the price as an excuse for everything maybe this worlds generation could be fixed...

But in all honesty, sorry your black truck as some swirls in it.

Tyler

Maybe you should find a better hobby than scanning the forums to give your pointless opinion on things. If you are of no help why are you even reading this thread "bro"? Don't you have more manly things to do than troll threads all day? LOL

My "rant" seams to be a common one considering multiple others have said the same thing about their new trucks and paint issues bud. Hope you have a good day.

And please tell me how im using price for an 'excuse'? That made no sense. You make no sense.

Relax it's a truck, no one is looking at the paint...

Tyler

I marvel at mine constantly personally. If I had more time I'd probably hand wash it twice a week and seal & wax it monthly!

Never had a problem with GMs dark colors. I also go to extra lengths to insure against marring the finish of my cars. It isn't just in the washing methods but the soap used and what products you have on the vehicle that make a big difference.

• 1 year later...

I've had black fords and jeeps....and this chevy has by far the worst paint I've ever seen on a truck....period.....I'm going to have the whole think repainted by a friend of mine that does quality work....the paint on the new trucks is abysmal

Yeah, I owned a 2004 GMC for 12 years. That truck...I could bounce hunting gear, balls, sticks...off if it. It wouldn't scratch or mark unless there was some force or pressure. This 2015...Just brush something against, lean something against it....Scratch and white marking. Not to mention all the paint chips.

Cheap, cheap thin paint. I'll probably trade or repaint mine. Just have to decide.

I have a deep ocean metallic and yes its not just gm black, their blue paint is thin and chips just looking at it. ITs a shame the paint is so thin, and Im OCD about keeping my trucks clean and waxed and every time I clean it, it gets worse and worse. The lower portion in front of the rear wheel wells where there is a little added protections looks as if it was hit with a sand blaster thats how easily this paint chips. Luckily most of the chips are below the molding so its not very noticeable except to me.

So I also have the metallic blue and can see swirl/brush marks after only a year of washing and 7800 miles. I also use the nylon brush on a stick which I now know I shouldn't. What do you guys with the hand mitt do? Use a ladder to get the roof, windshield, and hood? Is there a brush out there that is better than the standard? I do agree that it is a truck and I use it as such but dammit I love that color and want it to stay shiny! I'd really like to have someone detail it but I know damn well they will use crap wax and a buffer for even more swirl marks.

Most would be best served assuming needing paint correction, and knowing absolutely nothing (which that's the key part right, how do you know)

having a pro do it, and teach proper maintenance. Between boats and cars I have a ton of work. I spend my time on maintenance so I don't need the correction. Gotta use a polisher to get the swirls, wax isn't wax.

I do the correction myself which on a boat is insane rotary cutting/buffing and polishing for days. But every time it would make more sense to have a pro do that work, and me concentrate on the maintain which you have to do religiously...but it's a hobby. It's a one time gig if you maintain. Car's are a bit different though soft paint and more abrasive exposure, boats though UV gotta keep it up. On cars get it correct, polish once a year or twice, wax the rest of the year.

It's not grab a porter cable and some foam pads and do it, for some yeah, they can grasp quickly enough to get an ok job. but there's steps, a million opinions, and experience even self experience does count.

If it was that simple one neighbors 50k truck wouldn't have grey bumpers from using carnauba wax instead of a sythetic that won't stain and taping off and it getting baked in.

Then there's the neighbor who just waxing (not even talking correction here) goes though 2 bottles of wax with his foam pad oozing , takes me 1/4 bottle of ultimate wax (meguires) to do a truck if that.

Guys who drop claybars into grit then go to town.

lots of stories like that. Don't use the auto wash detailers you need an all day job, it's not cheap but do it once, have them teach to maintain properly and you don't have to do it for a long time. Lots of good vids, etc but therein lies the time and trial and error, some vids and things are just not conceivable for a typical daily driver or everyone.

Up north tough environment up there, need to have a different schedule.

Dealership washed my truck once and scratched it all to hell.

Got the adams kits and do my own maintenance. I have everything else from chemical guys but the polishes from adams are easier.

post-143469-148831486562_thumb.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have a 2017 Sierra Denali with about 3K miles on it and the paint is a joke. It is a mess. I also have a 2015 Yukon Denali and it is horrible as well. If you so much as touch the paint it scratches. It is by far the worst paint on the market. My neighbor has a 2016 Silverado and his is a mess as well. I wish GM would bring back metallic black, black ice, carbon black or whatever. Almost seems there is no clear coat on the paint. How about just a nice charcoal gray? The Sierra is great but the paint is a joke. Worst I have ever experienced. Hope GM is monitoring this forum and listens.

if just in the clear coat depends how deep, light ones just in the clear you can level out with 2-3k grit wet sanding, then buff/polish the haze left out . If in the color you can fix that too, touchup direct has clear + color touchup paint. So one can fill in the scratch below surrounding clear, build up layers of touchup clear above the good clear, then level that out and buff/polish. Some good vids on the subject

https://www.ammonyc.com/detailing/paint-chip-touch-up/

Both of those have several vids on it, search the channel. Ammo guy is over the top OCD but does crazy cars...kinda pick and choose what makes sense for a daily driver. If you're talking a very long one ammo has a good video on a Benz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2aC_oseMe4, iirc he's got several more too.

If skittish just call a good detailer and have them do it. I use pdr guys all the time! Never used a detailer or any for scratches and such but the pdr guys rock. Thin steel, clear coats (which single stage was tons easier to maintain to me just more frequent) these services are pretty much common now.

Archived