Flat Towing a 2015 4x4 GM truck

Garykk

Does anyone flat tow their new 4x4 1500? I am going to flat tow ours but cannot get a straight answer from dealer or GM about WHY the battery must be disconnected...I have heard if its not connected it can damage the steering column which makes no sense if the key is left in accessory as required. Today I was told by Customer Service that the main reason was not to kill the battery while in the accessory position....I know some that disconnect the battery and some that don't...sure would like to get a straight answer...

the manual is no help, and it has contradictions in it...

You leave the key in the run/on position otherwise your column lock will be on.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

No you're right... It says accessory

If I was a betting man it probably relates to RAP. I think you would have the same effect if you did this in run.

Got an answer from my service manager, one of his techs called tech assistance at GM..the main reason for disconnecting the battery is to prevent a dead battery, in which case nothing would work.....good enough for me..

I know a MH owner that tows a 2015 Silverado with battery connects, no problems at all...

• 2 years later...
If its four wheel drive can you not just put the transfer case in neutral and leave key in the off lock position?  That's what used to be in the owners manuals.

Daniel

You just don’t want to go around a corner and the steering column lock. That’s why you have to leave the key in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The owners manual  says you a supposed to disconnect the negative battery cable. My 2008 and 2011 did not have to do this. From what GM service techs are telling me, its because of the steering wheel lock and possibly the electric assist on the power steering. They also said that the newer vehicles have more battery draw because of all the computers.....    My question is there anyone towing with the key in the accessory position, and if so is the odometer registering mileage while you tow?  Also any other things you do to prevent battery drain....hot lead off of MH trailer plug to towed battery??  thanks

Archived