Best Advice for Best Gas Mileage

jasch1124

I really dont understand why people get all excited about the 25 and 50 mile range readings. They are so inaccurate its not even funny. I have no question that picture is real it was probably taken while driving down a hill. Personally in my truck I have noticed virtually no difference betweem driving normal and babying the throttle. The biggest difference I see is what speed im driving on the highway. 80 to 85mph im getting about 16mpg. 70mph im around 17mph.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Drive down hills.

tn_gallery_130182_2699_29418.jpg

Here is a 1 year average, which includes a 5 month Michigan winter.

post-130182-0-15724100-1443419746_thumb.jpeg

I really dont understand why people get all excited about the 25 and 50 mile range readings. They are so inaccurate its not even funny. I have no question that picture is real it was probably taken while driving down a hill. Personally in my truck I have noticed virtually no difference betweem driving normal and babying the throttle. The biggest difference I see is what speed im driving on the highway. 80 to 85mph im getting about 16mpg. 70mph im around 17mph.

I find it hard to believe you are only getting 16 on hwy. I get over 20 (easily 19) while driving on the hwy in my 6.2 unless the 8sp is making that much of a difference. I'm always going 70+ and when you throw in some of the seattle area hills that is when I drop down below 20

edit just saw your lifted with big ass tires, your mileage doesn't count :driving:

Drive down hills.

tn_gallery_130182_2699_29418.jpg

Here is a 1 year average, which includes a 5 month Michigan winter.

attachicon.gif20150916_014229.jpeg

I would be extremely happy with that over 1 year. I have about 650 miles as of now and am averaging ~18.5mpg since I bought it. It does seem to be getting a little better as it breaks in though. My best 50 so far has been 21.5

Buy a 3/4 ton...the 25, 50 and 400 mile counters are accurate...lol. Trust me...

What will the last 25 read right after reset? Will it read anything until 25 miles have been traveled? Just wondering if you had just reset while on a downhill or something.

The "best" score can be reset, and it will be blank until you go 25 miles. But the Average number is constantly be recalculated based on your driving.

Best I have seen in my truck is ~25 mpg for the last 25 miles, ~24 mpg for the last 50, and ~21 mpg for the last 400.

The "best" score can be reset, and it will be blank until you go 25 miles. But the Average number is constantly be recalculated based on your driving.

Best I have seen in my truck is ~25 mpg for the last 25 miles, ~24 mpg for the last 50, and ~21 mpg for the last 400.

Thanks. So, I'm just guessing, if you reset the "best 25", the current avg will still use miles traveled before the reset and "best 25" stays blank until 25 miles are traveled.

Thanks. So, I'm just guessing, if you reset the "best 25", the current avg will still use miles traveled before the reset and "best 25" stays blank until 25 miles are traveled.

exactly. and actually when you reset the best scores, it resets all of them. the 25, 50 and 400. You cannot reset them individually.

I find it hard to believe you are only getting 16 on hwy. I get over 20 (easily 19) while driving on the hwy in my 6.2 unless the 8sp is making that much of a difference. I'm always going 70+ and when you throw in some of the seattle area hills that is when I drop down below 20

edit just saw your lifted with big ass tires, your mileage doesn't count :driving:

I have 2014 with the 6 speed and 3.42 gears plus a 6" lift and 35" tires. So 16 on the highway isn't terrible given the part of Alabama and Georgia I travel to is some what hilly. But once I get proper gears and can hang in V4 mode I should start seeing 18-20mph on the highway.

Best advice for everyone.. don't smash that throttle like your racing a vette.. I'm very happy with my everyday driving to work or going out with the family mpg. What hurts me is when I get on the freeway and I always come across something nice . And I say to myself can my 6.2 compete.. lol I mean come on I wanted a 6.2 cause of the power.. damn why not have a little fun with it rite..

• 2 years later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 9:55 PM, stontr01 said:

Anybody done any mods to get better MPG? I've heard of cold air intakes and exhausts helping MPG a little bit, anybody have experience with those or other recommended mods?

Modifying for mileage is the practice of reducing load. It really is that simple. Those that believe they can improve mileage by improving combustion efficiency are about two or three decades too late. The practice persist however on the backs of horse long dead. For example in the pre 70's era most cars suffered ignition misses that wasted fuel. Under the 15% human sensory threshold but none the less good improvement could be made with modified ignitions. Today normal is what we did 30 years ago. In fact todays ignitions are about 99.9% perfect and in reality we could not of dreamed such efficiencies. Even if you could capture that last 0.1% you couldn't measure it. There isn't any low hanging fruit left on the combustion efficiency table. ZERO. Ditto DCI over carburetors. 

Great improvements have also been made in aerodynamics. Even in trucks and it's hard to find meaningful gains, although the persistent can and will eek out incremental gains but at great cost. That area is mind over matter. You don't mind...it doesn't matter. 

You have two areas left to play in to net large gains in mpg.

1.) Perfecting factory specifications. 

Realize that while robots now build the truck they do so to a specification that is WIDE because...it's a robot. A huge one is alignment. Specifications of build do not always include an upper limit. Some times just a cost driven lower limit. Lubrication is chief among these. You however,  have no such limitations. Tires when replacements are due are another example.  

2.) Managing the urges that control your right foot. 

From the dawn of the auto such lack of exercise is the #1 cause of poor mileage. And there is not place in time that exhibits this better than the present day of the self entitled egocentric narcissistic . 

Archived