No I would rather buy it for a premium price and have no problems and recalls for 100k miles as long as I keep up with the regular maintainence. This is the problem with modern day production and modern day consumers. We have been trained to accept a lower standard of quality over time in exchange for warranties and recalls that hardly ever fix the root cause of the issue which poor overall quality and the idea that no company wants to produce a great product they are only in it for profit. I had a 2012 GMC sierra that was perfect no recalls and no issues the paint was perfect and the ride was 100% smooth. Only issue I had was it was not 4x4. If it was I would not even have this 2014 "B-" rated truck.

The problem is that statistics don't back up you claims. A) it's normal for the first year or two of a new vehicle to have more problems than later years. Your 2012 was the 6th year for those truck. B) statically all OEMs improve quality and reliability year over year. Sure, there will be some anomalies, but the trend is steadily upward. Integrating large amounts of electronics has been the biggest problem with newer vehicles.

So it sucks that you particular truck wasn't perfect, but one bad Apple doesn't mean that there's a systemic problem with them all.

• Like 3

No car or manufacture is immune from recalls. It can strike anything no matter how much of a premium you pay. qwqIt's often times a supplier mistake that, from the outward appearance, looks compliant to QC standards.

Case in point, currently the 16 Traverse, Enclave and Acadia are facing a stop sale due to a bad batch of window motors that GM received from a supplier, they checked out on the QC checks but it wasn't until continuous use, such as driving in a rain storm for 30+ minutes, that the over heating issue was found.

But with your thinking, I guess they could just charge a premium and run every single wiper motor on a 24hr test....

• Like 1

The problem is that statistics don't back up you claims. A) it's normal for the first year or two of a new vehicle to have more problems than later years. Your 2012 was the 6th year for those truck. B) statically all OEMs improve quality and reliability year over year. Sure, there will be some anomalies, but the trend is steadily upward. Integrating large amounts of electronics has been the biggest problem with newer vehicles.

So it sucks that you particular truck wasn't perfect, but one bad Apple doesn't mean that there's a systemic problem with them all.

What are your sources for these statistics? The manufacturer. Also what are the statistics? What claims are you referring to exactly? Lastly have you had any problems with your truck?

And you speak to my point when you say its normal for the first year or two of a vehicle to have problems. The rush to put out a new product in order to beat the competition to the profits have always been the motive. Todays technology and access to historical engineering data that should teach engineers what works and what doesn't, should eleminate this issue. But cost is much more important and this gets in the way. You also speak to my point when you agree that introducing large amounts of electronics has been the biggest problem with newer vehicles.

I really don't know what you are disputing here. I can tell that you are a die hard GM fanatic but if saying that I would recommend this vehicle to others and I give it a "-B" grade, ruffles your feathers then I dont know what to tell you. I would also like to say that I have and extensive background in auto mechanics and have the credentials and experience to properly assess this vehicle and provide some honest insight to potential buyers.

Edited by fireaxxe
  • Like 1

No car or manufacture is immune from recalls. It can strike anything no matter how much of a premium you pay. qwqIt's often times a supplier mistake that, from the outward appearance, looks compliant to QC standards.

Case in point, currently the 16 Traverse, Enclave and Acadia are facing a stop sale due to a bad batch of window motors that GM received from a supplier, they checked out on the QC checks but it wasn't until continuous use, such as driving in a rain storm for 30+ minutes, that the over heating issue was found.

But with your thinking, I guess they could just charge a premium and run every single wiper motor on a 24hr test....

No your suggestion is a pretty extreme solution to a simple problem and not in line with my thinking at all. Instead of running every single wiper motor for 24 hrs they should develope a more extensive R&D department that work in conjunction with the parts supplier to make sure that each batch of parts for a particular segement of vehicles are up to par. Many companies do this but it cost money obviously.

So fireaxxe, what truck gets an "A" from you, considering you "have and extensive background in auto mechanics and have the credentials and experience to properly assess this vehicle and provide some honest insight to potential buyers".?? Someone with your expertise should have had enough knowledge not to buy the truck n the first place, so what gives? I'm not a GM fanboy, but a fan of my wallet. The 2014/15 has some issues but so do the others. I drive a new model ford for work everyday and it is pretty much even with my silvy in quality and annoying problems, already on its second tranny in 50k miles. If you are not happy with your truck then by all means quit whining, man up and trade it in on an A+ truck.

Edited by tnchevy

What are your sources for these statistics? The manufacturer. Also what are the statistics? What claims are you referring to exactly? Lastly have you had any problems with your truck?

And you speak to my point when you say its normal for the first year or two of a vehicle to have problems. The rush to put out a new product in order to beat the competition to the profits have always been the motive. Todays technology and access to historical engineering data that should teach engineers what works and what doesn't, should eleminate this issue. But cost is much more important and this gets in the way. You also speak to my point when you agree that introducing large amounts of electronics has been the biggest problem with newer vehicles.

I really don't know what you are disputing here. I can tell that you are a die hard GM fanatic but if saying that I would recommend this vehicle to others and I give it a "-B" grade, ruffles your feathers then I dont know what to tell you. I would also like to say that I have and extensive background in auto mechanics and have the credentials and experience to properly assess this vehicle and provide some honest insight to potential buyers.

I'm saying two things...

1) There are all kinds of independent studies (JD Powers, Consumer Reports, etc.) that show that cars/trucks are more reliable and have higher quality than cars of the past - even with the complex electronics. Cars last longer, drive better, are more capable, are more efficient, and pollute less - so there are improvements across the board.

2) Your sample of ONE SINGLE TRUCK is not representative of ALL of the trucks.

Yes, I have had some minor issues with my previous truck. None with my current truck. But I'm no fanboy - I just like calling people out when they make stupid and/or false claims like you are. Nobody is disagreeing that some trucks have problems.

• Like 1

I'm saying two things...

1) There are all kinds of independent studies (JD Powers, Consumer Reports, etc.) that show that cars/trucks are more reliable and have higher quality than cars of the past - even with the complex electronics. Cars last longer, drive better, are more capable, are more efficient, and pollute less - so there are improvements across the board.

2) Your sample of ONE SINGLE TRUCK is not representative of ALL of the trucks.

Yes, I have had some minor issues with my previous truck. None with my current truck. But I'm no fanboy - I just like calling people out when they make stupid and/or false claims like you are. Nobody is disagreeing that some trucks have problems.

Someone is upset. Lets be clear here I have not made any false or stupid claims but it seems as if you have as you fail to list any specific stats that back up your claims. You sound like a googler and a GM employee. If it was ONE SINGLE TRUCK you would not see hundreds of thousands of recalls and TSB being performed on these vehicles. I never said my truck represents ALL trucks. My statements introudce the possibility that a new owner may experience similar problems that a bunch of us are having. While I was having repairs performed the loaners that they gave me, all GM trucks, had many of the same issues. Take a moment breath and calm down go back and read a few post on this very forum where many owners are experiencing the same exact problems that I posted about. Your call out is misguided and unnecessary. You "call me out" for saying that I have been experiencing issues with my truck with detailed information? Come on man/woman there has to be a better way for you to pretend like you know what your talking about.

So fireaxxe, what truck gets an "A" from you, considering you "have and extensive background in auto mechanics and have the credentials and experience to properly assess this vehicle and provide some honest insight to potential buyers".?? Someone with your expertise should have had enough knowledge not to buy the truck n the first place, so what gives? I'm not a GM fanboy, but a fan of my wallet. The 2014/15 has some issues but so do the others. I drive a new model ford for work everyday and it is pretty much even with my silvy in quality and annoying problems, already on its second tranny in 50k miles. If you are not happy with your truck then by all means quit whining, man up and trade it in on an A+ truck.

For example my 2012 GMC was an A+. Out of the 11 light duty trucks of various makes/models, that one was the best. The GMC had No mechanical/cosmetic issues, no trips to the dealer nor any TSB or recalls performed. My extensive background which inludes many years of education including a degree, ASE certified, many years as a technician for two different dealerships and many other independent shops, and owning my own dealership/auto repair shop, Gave me the green light to purchase this vehicle, remember I gave it a "B-" and also said I WOULD recommend it to potential buyers. This is an informative thread which is far from whining. For me a "B-" grade brings happiness but there is always room for improvement. It funny how all of you nay sayers have the same exact sentence in your post. Smell like a fanatic to me. Just sayin.

I think I smell a troll!

No troll here, just check my profile and see previous post that I have made. You will see how constant I have been. As a matter of fact here is a link where I did some research on another site I am a member of in reference to the use of a catch can for the Ecotec

http://www.silveradosierra.com/ecotec3-5-3l-v8/ecotec3-5-3-liter-oil-catch-can-research-t392354.html

** Read Before You Buy a 2014/2015 GM Truck**

My truck is awesome, make sure you buy one, you will love it.

Now since I cancelled out your opinion, can we delete this thread??? Lmao!

• Like 2