The bottom line here is all these trucks (Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota, etc.) all have issues. Just go read the other forums. I have friends that drive each of those brands, which have had issues. I have driven 3 of the 6 mentioned above and had minor issues with all and consider myself fortunate. These trucks are made by people and people are imperfect. If you get one that has no flaws consider yourself the luckiest person on earth!!! Happy New Year!

Edited by HawkTX

The bottom line here is all these trucks (Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge, Nissan, Toyota, etc.) all have issues. Just go read the other forums. I have friends that drive each of those brands, which have had issues. I have driven 3 of the 6 mentioned above and had minor issues with all and consider myself fortunate. These trucks are made by people and people are imperfect. If you get one that has no flaws consider yourself the luckiest person on earth!!! Happy New Year!

I think the difference is in how they respond. I was looking over F150 forums and I do not see all of the "Normal" or "Could not duplicate" standard GM answers that I see here. Every time I take my truck back I feel like I am being called stupid for even bringing any issue up. I have had this truck for a little over 11 months and have been complaining about the transmission almost as long. The dealer has captured the transmission flare but still no solution. Replaced the transmission and it came back, still no solution. Now it has started a squeak/squeal on startup when cold. I bet that is "normal" now too. This seems like GM's standard now, can't figure something out, "normal". Too expensive to fix something right, "Normal".

• Like 1

I think the difference is in how they respond. I was looking over F150 forums and I do not see all of the "Normal" or "Could not duplicate" standard GM answers that I see here. Every time I take my truck back I feel like I am being called stupid for even bringing any issue up. I have had this truck for a little over 11 months and have been complaining about the transmission almost as long. The dealer has captured the transmission flare but still no solution. Replaced the transmission and it came back, still no solution. Now it has started a squeak/squeal on startup when cold. I bet that is "normal" now too. This seems like GM's standard now, can't figure something out, "normal". Too expensive to fix something right, "Normal".

You have a legit concern there. I hope it gets fixed. I know that has to be frustrating.

A momentary squeal on startup is often caused by belt slipping for a second because moisture has condensed on the pulleys. I see that occasionally with my old Ford F350, but it does not happen every time I start the engine when cold. Depends on the humidity outside. Your issue may be different.

Edited by pm26

I like my 2015 Silverado 1500 LT and have encountered the following issues:

1. The occasional pop around the audio system and the far right hand vent. It only occurs once or twice when I'm driving. Sort of expect it now so it really doesn't aggravate me any more.

2. I had a belt molding window trim piece replaced on the right front side due to discoloration. It took the dealership three times due to defective scratched moldings from GM so finally it was swapped with one from a new truck.

3. Three minor dents discovered after delivery of the vehicle. Removed by paintless dent repair and reimbursed by selling dealer for cost.

4. The front bumper has a small dimple in the depression just under the right front fender. Only can be viewed at a certain angle. I've learned to live with it and I doubt it warrants a new bumper.

5. I'm monitoring loss of windshield washer fluid in the container. It has slowly gone down. No leaks are apparent any where. Perhaps an air pocket somewhere. Washer fluid is cheap. Will have the dealer check it on my first oil change.

The truck is quiet, gets reasonable gas mileage and serves it's purpose. I'm not loyal to any particular brand so when I decide to get a new one I will shop them all. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy my Chevrolet.

GM customer service can't do shit for you, the dealers and regional reps are over their head. All they are good for is listening to people bitch about something they can't do anything about.

But they can write nice cookie cutter responses how sorry they are....

• Like 2

But they can write nice cookie cutter responses how sorry they are....

still doesn't fix my truck, thats all I want... or give me ALL of my money back, including any and all fees, taxes, excise tax etc. and I'll go elsewhere. I don't tolerate bullshit like this, I WILL GET ONE OR THE OTHER AT A MINIMUM, I FIGHT BULLSHIT TO THE DEATH

• 5 years later...
On 9/28/2015 at 3:25 PM, tnchevy said:

I would say either read up on all of the makes/models before you buy or better yet, don't read a thing because you will be paranoid to buy any vehicle. I have to admit that after a year I still like my old 2002 better than my 2014 but I also liked it better than I do my 2012 Ford company truck. The biggest complaint which some of you will laugh at is that there is too much "going on" with all the new vehicles. My 2014 is not perfect, slight vibes at random times, transmission that has improved but not seamless, and a radio that can't pickup FM stations and goes blank every now and then. Funny thing is that my 2012 Ford work truck has the exact same problems and even a worse transmission. I test drove 3 different Rams as well last year and I did like the more instant throttle but I was not overly impressed with the 8 speed in it either. IMO all of these new trucks are not built as well as the late 90's early 2000's (except Dodge which has drastically improved). After 1 year and 8k miles I do not regret buying my chevy over any other brand but I do regret not keeping my 2002 for a few more years even though she was rusting out pretty bad, mechanically she was in great shape. Buy what you like and if it don't work out for you bite the bullet, take the loss, and buy something else.

So what do you think after 5 years of owning the truck or did you sale it?

5 hours ago, Skeeterhawk said:

So what do you think after 5 years of owning the truck or did you sale it?

I'll jump on that! 

137,777 miles and five years of satisfaction. Bought my 2015 in 2016 with about 1,300 miles on her. I'm not a whiner, I fix whatever needs fixing and ignore the "whatever".  Dash "pops' for instance; it's plastic. It pops...so what. Leaf springs pop when wet. So what. Now seven years after manufacture and the thin paint still shines like a new nickel and paint repairs and corrections are a breeze. "Plane Jane" WT1 trim is easy to clean, keep clean and dog friendly. Had a pinion seal leak. Fixed it. Had a starter shield warp and rub the ring gear of the flywheel. Replaced it. Factory alignment was awful. Fixed it. Factory shocks and springs stink. Fixed that. That's my "abnormal" maintenance. All of it. Still has the OEM battery and brakes. OEM tires went 125,000 miles. Replaced one set of wipers. How low does maintenance need to be before it's 'great'? I do few modifications and those I do lean toward increased, comfort, reliability, durability and efficiency. It uses no oil. Gets great mileage. Starts fist hit, when it's 30 F below or 105 F above. It works when I need it to work. It tours when I want to tour. It impresses all on it's own. I'm preemptive in my maintenance, kept it clean, keep it tuned, pay attention to her when she complains. It's had factory recalls. I do the ones that need doing and ignore the rest. I don't fix stuff that ain't broke. I maintain on the severe schedule or better. Use better products and fluids than I need to. Drive it like I care how long it last. Modify and refine as things show themselves. It was a 100 point truck when I bought it. I'll drive it until it's a 5 point truck, then restore it.  That is...if I'm still alive when I wear it out the first time or somebody or thing takes it from me.

I liked it when I bought it. I'd buy it again any day of the week and twice on Sundays. It's the best of 4 Chevy's I've owned and tide for first as the best of 7 GM's. Only thing I've ever owned that was more reliable was my bought new 98 Honda Civic HX and only because I don't have as many miles on Pepper as I did the Honda. That clock is still tick'n. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1