8" MyLink Android Auto update coming

entreri

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully this will be available for more than 2016 models that wont have it at sale time. Hopefully 2015 models will get this, and with android being easy to run on so many devices this should be doable even for 2014 contrary to what has been said on this forum previously. Just a matter of how far GM wants to go with the development effort.

The articles are not very clear. I don't think they are saying that the 14/15 will get android auto (or car play) at all. They seem to be saying that they are not going for the 8" and will be added later through a software update. The GMC article actually mentions apple car play too but the Chevy article doesn't why not both?

I did this "snail mail" thing today asking where my apps are for my 3wk old 2015. The radio is garbage and I did expect it, hopefully they will make it right with an update. I just wish the Bluetooth would stop dying I could live with what I have. If I have to pay 1000 for a io7 HIM to get android/Apple car I prob would

Has any actually posted the hardware specs for the 8" unit? We are talking about android here, the computational requirement for an adroid operating system is actually not that high so running the software probably wouldnt be that big a deal the issue would more likely be how it performs. Android unlike apple products is much more forgiving with the hardware that it can be used on so it is not a stretch for the 15's to have an update made available for them. The only software component outside of android would the be the system firmware. I guess what I am getting at is this is doable it is just whether GM wants to put any effort toward it.

Anything is possible, But why spend money if you don't have to?

Has any actually posted the hardware specs for the 8" unit? We are talking about android here, the computational requirement for an adroid operating system is actually not that high so running the software probably wouldnt be that big a deal the issue would more likely be how it performs. Android unlike apple products is much more forgiving with the hardware that it can be used on so it is not a stretch for the 15's to have an update made available for them. The only software component outside of android would the be the system firmware. I guess what I am getting at is this is doable it is just whether GM wants to put any effort toward it.

Apparently only for 2016 models. I am a bit disappointed with the pandora app always messing up and xm having really poor reception.

http://www.cnet.com/news/chevrolet-adding-android-auto-in-2016/

What's up with your XM reception? I have no issues. Do you frequently travel by tall buildings, trees, or tunnels?

What's up with your XM reception? I have no issues. Do you frequently travel by tall buildings, trees, or tunnels?

I live in Maine so we don't have super tall buildings but we have lots of trees. My wife's ford fusion has no issues. The truck XM cuts out a lot when near trees and buildings.

XM's network is garbage compared to Sirius. I have a 2015 Tundra as well as a 2015 Silverado with factory XM and it's no different now than it was 10 years ago. Drive near a big tree or patch of bush and your XM is gone...... Sirius on the other hand works no issue ( have a 2013 F150 with factory Sirius). It's not just GM with issues with XM reception..... it's XM in general.

Archived