Trying to decide on the 1500 Max Trailering or a 2500 diesel.

I'm posting this in the 1500 and the 2500 forum to get both perspectives.

I have owned gas trucks my whole adult life. Last year I purchased a tractor to work on a 10 acre lot. The tractor weighs around 6000 lbs with the front end loader. I have a 6' rotary mower that weighs around 720 lbs and a 6' box scraper that weighs around 500 lbs. The trailer is around 2900 lbs. I also have a boat that weighs around 5500 lbs with the trailer.

A few months ago a friend of mine needed me to bring my tractor to his house to help him work on his driveway. I tried to haul the tractor with our 2013 Tahoe that has the towing package and a towing capacity of 8300 lbs. After about a couple of miles of pulling the tractor behind the Tahoe, I turned around and went back home. I didn't feel like the Tahoe was safe pulling that much weight. I ended up having to rent a truck to pull my tractor to my friends house.

I am planning on buying a new truck this coming March or April and I am really struggling on which variation to buy. I plan on hauling my tractor around 5-6 times a year and haul my boat around 4-6 times a year. Since the tractor and trailer weigh right at, or just over, the max towing capacity of the standard 1500 pickup (9400 lbs), I would have to get a 1500 with the Max Trailering package which has a max towing capacity up to 11,800lbs or buy a 2500 diesel which has a 13000 lbs bumper towing capacity.

I've owned, modified and worked on gas vehicles my whole life so there isn't any unknown there. I have never owned a diesel vehicle before so I don't truly know what to expect. I've been reading a lot lately trying to help myself make an informed decision but, I'm still unsure on which way to go.

From what I've read the 2500 will pull my tractor more comfortably than the 1500 regardless of their tow ratings. I am a car junkie and I have owned more than a few fairly fast cars. I love the thought of the horsepower and acceleration of the 6.2L gas motor in the 1500. It will do 0-60 in 5.9 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 14.3 @ 97 mph, which is pretty damn impressive for a pickup truck. But, the flipside to that is that I really want to be able to haul my tractor safely not to mention the fact that I could modify the Duramax motor and it would be as fast or faster than the 1500 gas motor. If you look strictly at the numbers the 1500 should be plenty competent enough to pull the tractor but, I can't shake the nagging feeling that even though the towing capacity is 11,800 lbs it would still be pushing the "feel safe" limits of the truck. The diesel will cost around $9500 more up front so that is a factor but, I actually plan on keeping this truck for a long time...assuming there isn't something wrong with it. This truck will also be my daily driver. Given my situation and what I've typed which version do you guys think I should get?

Sorry for the wall of text.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Max Tow and love it. I pull around a TT that's around 5500 pounds and 6 passengers no problem. I could easily pull more.

But your trailer and tractor alone are near 9,000 pounds! You gotta go 2500 for sure!

I've pulled 9k+/- quite a few times with my 5.3l CCRB w/ 3.42's and the truck still impresses me. That being said, if you want to have the same acceleration all the time, towing or not, I would suggezt the diesel. If you dont mind being a slower while towing, the 6.2 will do just fine.

I switched from an 01 Diesel to a 2015 Max trailering. I'm ~8,200 lbs for my trailer. I switched more because of my non-towing driving. I have a short commute, under 2 miles, and it was tough on the diesel. The truck never warmed up in the winter. I didn't go for the 6.2 as it isn't offered in the SLE and I didn't want to pay for premium fuel.

You could do a gas 2500, but I didn't see the point when the incentives on the Sierra were so much better.

A 1/2 ton will have no issue with your boat and the loader is within capacity. To me it depends on how much I would be towing (not sure how far you are going) and what I do with the truck the rest of the year.

Hmmm, don't know if I can help or add to the confusion. I was in the same position a couple of years ago after purchasing a sub compact tractor/loader and pulling it around with one of the small V8 Jeep Commanders. Final straw was when I skidded into an empty intersection while trying to stop on damp asphalt. Fast forward and I've upgraded tow vehicles and trailers.

Currently have a CCSB 5.3L Z1 and a 20' equipment trailer. The trailer itself weighs 3K - I got tired of flimsy trailers and purchased something that will handle anything I can throw at it. My tractor is a BX which with loader and a 4' brush hog weighs about 2K. Truck handles the combined 5K without any issues. Usually end up transporting it about an hour up the road a couple times a year to my mother in laws property for yard work

I also tow my wife's Land Rover Discovery on the equipment trailer. With all of the mods (steel bumpers, winch, skid plates, etc) it easily weighs over 5K by itself. So when I'm towing it with the trailer I pulling slightly over 8K. Unfortunately thus far its been winding up on the trailer 3-4 a year for repairs (gotta pay to play :rolleyes: ). In any case I added a set of air bags to my truck and it handles the load very well and I do feel comfortable running this set up through heavy traffic. Feels comparable to towing with the 3/4's from ~10 years ago.

My point is that for my limited needs a 1/2 ton with a 3.42 ratio is a good compromise. I honestly wish I could have gotten a max tow, but it wasn't available to me at the time. Would I like to have the 3/4 platform? Yes, it would be nice for the additional abilities as well general "cool factor" and I can say the same for the 6.2L and as well as max tow. I just can't justify the costs for a 3/4 ton or a 6.2L. If you have the income that you can comfortably spend on a 3/4 ton and can accept the lower gas mileage then go for it. However, I think you can do what you need to get done with a 5.3L max tow. Good luck, and have fun with making the decision. :cheers:

By the way what type of tractor do you have?

I think for the amount you're towing, and the fact of it being a daily driver, I would go 1500 max tow 6.2. Obviously the 2500 diesel will tow/haul better than the 1500, but being more comfortable in a 1500 everyday would sway me. No matter which way you go, I would drive both, and tow your trailer with both before you sign the dotted line. My dealer has no problem with overnight/extended test drives.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah, forget the 1/2 ton. Not quite sure what you are wanting... a solid pickup to get the job done or a race car. Between the 3/4 ton and the 6.0L gasser in it would do all you mention quite comfortably and quite well. Many contractors do similar things day in and day out with the 6.0L 2500. The Dmax would work quite well also. The deciding factor for me would be distance and terrain. If you are doing a lot of serious hills, especially at higher elevations, no brainer... get the Dmax. For general hauling in a area like I live, the Midwest, then the 6.0L does pretty darn good. Lots of variables to making the decision, with cost and the return on the investment you perceive you will get. The 6.0L would cost substantially less for the initial purchase, and the overall cost of operation down the road. But while it fits the bill for a lot of users, probably on at least a 3 to 1 ratio over diesel, the Dmax can be a more sensible way to go if your needs demand it.

With a typical 6.0L 2500 Z71 extended cab, full of fuel and two people coming at just over 7,000 lb, that leaves a total of 13,500 to play with. You could easily pull 10,000 lb of trailer and (assuming 10-15% tongue weight) still throw over 1000 lb in the box to boot and still not be at max for either GVWR or GCWR. A Dmax just makes that a little easier.

Hmmm, don't know if I can help or add to the confusion. I was in the same position a couple of years ago after purchasing a sub compact tractor/loader and pulling it around with one of the small V8 Jeep Commanders. Final straw was when I skidded into an empty intersection while trying to stop on damp asphalt. Fast forward and I've upgraded tow vehicles and trailers.

Currently have a CCSB 5.3L Z1 and a 20' equipment trailer. The trailer itself weighs 3K - I got tired of flimsy trailers and purchased something that will handle anything I can throw at it. My tractor is a BX which with loader and a 4' brush hog weighs about 2K. Truck handles the combined 5K without any issues. Usually end up transporting it about an hour up the road a couple times a year to my mother in laws property for yard work

I also tow my wife's Land Rover Discovery on the equipment trailer. With all of the mods (steel bumpers, winch, skid plates, etc) it easily weighs over 5K by itself. So when I'm towing it with the trailer I pulling slightly over 8K. Unfortunately thus far its been winding up on the trailer 3-4 a year for repairs (gotta pay to play :rolleyes: ). In any case I added a set of air bags to my truck and it handles the load very well and I do feel comfortable running this set up through heavy traffic. Feels comparable to towing with the 3/4's from ~10 years ago.

My point is that for my limited needs a 1/2 ton with a 3.42 ratio is a good compromise. I honestly wish I could have gotten a max tow, but it wasn't available to me at the time. Would I like to have the 3/4 platform? Yes, it would be nice for the additional abilities as well general "cool factor" and I can say the same for the 6.2L and as well as max tow. I just can't justify the costs for a 3/4 ton or a 6.2L. If you have the income that you can comfortably spend on a 3/4 ton and can accept the lower gas mileage then go for it. However, I think you can do what you need to get done with a 5.3L max tow. Good luck, and have fun with making the decision. :cheers:

By the way what type of tractor do you have?

Thanks for the input. I have a Kubota L4060HST.

I purchased a 2500 Duramax in 2007 (2007.5 body style). It rode a little rougher than a 1500, but I got used to it. I loved th power of that truck, as well as the Allison transmission. You could tow pretty much anything at any time. You could also stop what you were towing. It was my daily driver, and it worked out great. The only drawback was winter, as the diesel wouldn't heat up very well, even with the cold front installed. I ended up trading for a 2011 6.2 gasser as I wasn't hauling near as much at the time. I'm now in a 2014 5.3, and it's nothing like either of those two trucks. It'll tow 6,000 lbs or so ok, but it works it a bit in the hills. I dislike the 2014 transmission so much that I'll be looking for a 2013 or older 6.2 or Duramax next time around. I'm done with the horrible transmission and throttle tuning of the new trucks.

I have a 5.3/3.42 geared ccsb z71. My tt is an old 1989 Layton, 6,000 lb gross and about that when loaded and ready to camp. I also have a bed full of firewood, bicycles, ez up tent, extra water, etc and my family of 4 in the cab.

I've had the truck up in the mountains 2 times since I've owned it. It pulls the heavy Layton just fine for the 10 or less times per year i will be towing it.

Granted, my prior tow vehicles were a late 80s silverado k1500/350 and 2 ford 5.4s.

This silverado is night and day better than anything else I've ever towed with. The brakes are excellent for a 1500series pickup. On the long steep grades (11%+) i was down into the 2nd gear and around 4500 rpm, but once there she pulled very strong! It never felt strained and even accelerated once down there. Pleanty of pedal left.

It all depends on what you want out of it and how often you'll be towing. Based on your initial post I'd go 1500 max tow 6.2. Unless your going to tow that tractor every week. Towing heavy is not a speed contest, let the other rigs pass you on the grades. Take your time. Most st trailer tires are speed rated to 65mph MAX. I tow around 55-60 on the highway, take my time and enjoy the trip.

Imo, today's diesels are a pita with all the emissions crap on them, regen filters, def, and they are stinky,lol!

I really like my silverado. Yes it has some quirks but i don't worry about them. The throttle response and trans shifting has greatly improved now that i have over 3,000 miles on mine (first 1500 were annoying but i stuck with it) these new trucks have a lot of torque management to protect the drive train which leads to the lazy throttle feeling. From what I understand a black bear tune really unlocks the true power these trucks have. I won't do that till I'm out of warranty.

I also tow with the trans in tow/haul mode (which is also excellent!) And locked in M5 mode so all 8 holes always stay lit ?

Good luck in your decision. I hope this helps.

-G

Archived