Trying to decide on the 1500 Max Trailering or a 2500 diesel.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok here mine, I posted early in the thread, heres a pic

Truck is a 14 1500 GMC All Terrain crew 5.3 3.42's

boat is a 94 Formula 303, twin 502's,

Boat is 7200

Trailer is 2000 give or take 200

136 Gallons of fuel, 7 pds per gallon?? lets call it 900 its hardley ever full LMAO,

+ Gear and beer,

10500 give or take,

I trailer frequently, mostly within 5 miles, 2/5 times a week, 1/3 trips a year round trip roughly 250 highway miles,

This truck does the trick just fine, it pulls it, maintains it, and stops it, (surge trailer brakes that dont work great new hardware coming next year) I can only imagine how much better it will be,

IMO I drive 15k a year, the difference between a 1/2 and a 3/4 6.0 would kill me, cant afford a diesel, and wouldn't want one, my truck really does the job, .........

***Disclaimer If I lived beyond city limits, lets say 20/30 miles one way to the lake every weekend, then maybe a 3/4 ton would have been warranted but honestly I'm still not sure, would love to strap my boat to a max tow to see how big of a difference it is...

IMG_20150426_180205656_HDR_zpsdlnbokpp.j

You are so overloaded, it's not even funny. To help you out, I'm gonna offer to buy that boat for $2,500. I'm taking a chance towing it with my Max Tow, but I think it's best. ;-)

Ok here mine, I posted early in the thread, heres a pic

Truck is a 14 1500 GMC All Terrain crew 5.3 3.42's

boat is a 94 Formula 303, twin 502's,

Boat is 7200

Trailer is 2000 give or take 200

136 Gallons of fuel, 7 pds per gallon?? lets call it 900 its hardley ever full LMAO,

+ Gear and beer,

10500 give or take,

I trailer frequently, mostly within 5 miles, 2/5 times a week, 1/3 trips a year round trip roughly 250 highway miles,

This truck does the trick just fine, it pulls it, maintains it, and stops it, (surge trailer brakes that dont work great new hardware coming next year) I can only imagine how much better it will be,

IMO I drive 15k a year, the difference between a 1/2 and a 3/4 6.0 would kill me, cant afford a diesel, and wouldn't want one, my truck really does the job, .........

***Disclaimer If I lived beyond city limits, lets say 20/30 miles one way to the lake every weekend, then maybe a 3/4 ton would have been warranted but honestly I'm still not sure, would love to strap my boat to a max tow to see how big of a difference it is...

IMG_20150426_180205656_HDR_zpsdlnbokpp.j

IMG_20150426_151108857_zpsqzbixrxv.jpg

previously,

2012-05-27110354.jpg

The boat has twin 502's yet the 6.0 HD would "kill" you in fuel?!?

I agree with the stout parts in the new half tons. The chassis, brakes, differential and whatnot are easily as strong or better than my 05 1500HD that carries a 8600 lb gvwr and a 2750 lb payload capacity. But where these new half tons don't even compare... is the springs. The rear springs especially kill it for me towing anything heavy. Plus the payload still sucks like any other half ton.

Sent from my potato

For someone to suggest not to get wrapped up in numbers I think your "occasional 6k or less" seems like you are putting it down the 1500s. This isn't 99 or even 04, these 1500s are as big as the old 2500s and properly equipped they can tow what they are rated for no problem. My 15 Denali dwarfs my 04. I would have no issues towing 9k with my denali, occasinally 6k wouldn't even be a warm up imo. 8speed seemed like it made a hell of difference when I was towing my boat through the mountains.

No questions the 2500 would tow better but that doesn't mean the 1500 isn't capable. I also cringe to even think of the gas mileage in a 2500 6.0

I would actually get an older durmax if I needed a diesel before I considered buying a newer truck.

I currently have an "old" 2500HD (07 LBZ Dmax) and hearing all the talk of the capabilities of the new 1500's I went down to the local dealer to check them out.

Now, looking under my truck at the running gear (axles, brakes, frame) then comparing it to a new 1500, you won't convince me that the new 1/2 tons are as capable as my truck.

I know what the numbers say, but I also know what my truck can do, comfortably.

People also need to remember that towing a heavy load sometimes takes a heavier tow vehicle, especially in situations off-road, like a boat up a steep wet boat ramp, a camper in a soft soiled campground, or a compact tractor on a trailer on your property.

To and from areas on nice flat paved roads is best case, there are more situations where these lighter, higher capability 1/2 tons might get you in trouble.

I recently purchased a 2500HD to pull my TT. It weighs over 7800 lbs dry, so I knew it'd be close for the 1500. Plus, going up and down the mountains will be much easier with the Duramax. Another thing to consider is the stability of the vehicle when towing. A 2500 will be more stable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Loved towing with my 2011 Duramax LTZ Z71, but hated it when I wasn't towing. That's why I went with the 6.2 half ton this last time arounf. I tow a Kubtoa L4310 with loader and 6ft bush hog and post hole digger on a 20ft car hauler with brakes on rear axle with no problems, which is at least 8000lbs, prolly closer to 9,000. Yes, the duramax handles its better, obviously, but I wouldn't trade the day-to-day drivability of the '15 6.2 over the power of the '11 2500HD for just a few tows a year. The old truck always rode like shit in my opinion, even with Fox 2.0 Shocks.

People also need to remember that towing a heavy load sometimes takes a heavier tow vehicle, especially in situations off-road, like a boat up a steep wet boat ramp, a camper in a soft soiled campground, or a compact tractor on a trailer on your property.

To and from areas on nice flat paved roads is best case, there are more situations where these lighter, higher capability 1/2 tons might get you in trouble.

This fits my situations the best.

This fits my situations the best.

I've seen it first hand, when a heavier tow vehicle is better.

Back in 2013, I was camping late in the year. A camper pulled in next to me with a new 2014 1500 towing a 32' TT. It was the first time I had seen one of the new '14's so I went over and talked to the owner. He liked the truck and said it handled the trailer very well, I think he said it weighed 7800 dry.

Well, it had rained quite a bit the week before, so the campsites were a bit wet, but no standing water. When it was time to pack up and leave, they hitched up and attempted to set off. What he found was, the camper had settled into the soil and he couldn't get it off the site. He came over and asked if I would try with my 07 2500HD. I had no problem getting the trailer broken loose and onto the campground road.

Now, his tow ratings are probably similar to mine, but the extra weight of my truck (combined with better tires) moved that load with very little effort.

Its more than just the ratings, its up to your individual need.

My trailer will have to be pulled through a 3 acre field each way and through a shallow ditch when pulling onto the road. Your experience and comments have me leaning more heavily towards the 2500 for reasons that I had not considered yet.

My trailer will have to be pulled through a 3 acre field each way and through a shallow ditch when pulling onto the road. Your experience and comments have me leaning more heavily towards the 2500 for reasons that I had not considered yet.

Frame strength alone would have me back in a 2500 for that job.

As well they should. I'd be comfortable towing up to 7,000-7500lb loaded weight with my truck. North of that i think your in 3/4 ton truck territory. I would not want to pull a trailer longer than 30 overall with it either (ball to bumper) too much of a "tail wagging the dog" chance for me personally.

Although the new half ton trucks are great and i love mine, as i was thinking about this more last night, i can't say it's more capable than either the 1997 ram 2500 or 1999 f250 superduty i owned. Especially the superduty. The frame, leaf springs and diffetentials on that truck were huge. The ride and fuel econony not so much

My truck fits my needs great for what i need for the next 10 years. After that, I'll reevaluate things and go from there. I'd recommend you do the same and if your on the fence, error on the side of the heavier truck. Just my. 02.

-G

Archived