Trying to decide on the 1500 Max Trailering or a 2500 diesel.

Well I towed the boat 300 miles yesterday, all I can say is wow, it towed great, I wasn't pushed around at all, handled some of those crazy bridge joints that can be upsetting with ease, some bigger pulls, and downs hills, I was even able to set the cruise, never been able to do that before, M5 tow haul set @ 64 mph truely comfortable drive

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2011 2500 HD Duramax has had nothing but problems. If I had the money I'd trade the lemon in! I don't sleep at night because I am worried the engine light will come on again which happens an average every 10,000 kms. One time it was at the dealer for a week!

There have been 5 Special Coverage Adjustments on it so far.

I fear it will cost me about $2,000 to repair it every 10,000 kms when the Special Coverage Adjustments run out. Plus I fear it will have very low resale value because the truck is known the be plagued with this unsolvable factory problem.

I always disliked Fords because in the past the cost more to repair then a GM. Now I'm not so sure about that any more.

I am thinking of a Dodge next time.

Anyone else having these problems with their 2011 Duramax please send me a message.

Paul

I know I'm late to this topic as well.... and I did not read all the other posts......don't have time for that right now. Just thought I'd give my own personal experience and input. But I owned a 2006 Crew Cab Chevrolet 2500 HD Diesel for 7 years. If money wasn't a big deal I'd have a diesel again HANDS DOWN!!!. Money was an issue when I bought this truck, which is why I bought the 1500....plus I really didn't need the diesel anymore. That being said, I also put my current truck up for sale for about 4 months so I could buy another diesel. I was going to be going back to a 2012 - 2013 diesel, then we (me and the wife) bought 20 acres of land and the diesel got shut down for now. I would hands down go with the diesel knowing what I know now. I miss mine some kind of bad.

backwarduck... I am guessing your issues in your 2011 were majority related to Emissions ???? DEF system, Knox sensors, DPF, etc... ???? RIght??? The 2011 Duramax was the first year of all the new emissions stuff and they were known for their problems. If you had/have the money with a 2011-2012 Duramax, you could remedy 99% of your problems by deleting all the emissions stuff and programming for the same. A local diesel shop here offers a package deal of all the delete pipes and a single tune for $700. Not a bad deal at all to me....and you never had to put DEF Fluid in it again. There is also one other issue you will find searching the forums..... there is a very rare (seems to be blown out of proportion on the internet) issue of the CP4 (fuel pump), going out on the 2011 + diesels. When it goes out it doesn't just go out.... it sends shreds of metal through the entire fuel system..... which when replaced back to like it was from the factory you are looking at about a $7k-$9k repair bill from what I have been hearing..... IF the truck is not still under warranty. But again.....its a rare problem..... seemingly like in the <5% range of all 2011 + trucks being driven across the US that have this issue.

That being said. I know a lot of people with Duramax's and not a single one with any problems. Read about all the issues stated above online and through talking with guys at diesel shops. The emissions issues have been 99.9% fixed in the newer trucks from what I understand. Won't ever say 100% on anything because things happen.

But again. I would go diesel hands down if I had the money. I use to tow a caterpillar skid steer around a time or two a month. Dad's Kubota Backhoe a couple of times per year. And also a 24' boat several times during the summer. I still tow the boat with my 1500, but it is night and day difference. With the diesel....pulling the skid steer and backhoe was comparable to pulling a 18' utility trailer with two or three 4 wheeler's (ATV's) with the 1500 I have now. And keep in mind they redesigned the chassis and pumped up the power and torque in 2011. I was pulling all this with my 06. I can only imagine (and have heard) how much better the newer trucks pull.

I was always told once you get a diesel you will never go back. I went back and wish I hadn't. Don't get me wrong. I love my 1500 I have now. Hands down best Gas truck I've ever owned or driven. But I will have a diesel back again one day. But then again I am a power junkie.....and love the sound of a diesel.

Hope that helps....one way or another.

I thought this thread died, but no one (or they are idiots) is disputing that a 2500 or 3500 or chevy 1000000 can tow better. Everyone should agree that if you are towing heavy machinery etc etc or pushing the load limits of a 1500 all the time then a 2500 would probably be appropriate.

Some people don't like the ride of a 2500 and the 1500 is more than capable. You don't need to by your own big rig to tow some shit.

I have a friend that won't shut up about diesel this and that because I bought 5 acres and plan on having a cow or 2. Apparently (I didn't know) that you can't have property without having a diesel. He already tries to borrow my 22ft 7k car hauler that wasn't big enough also when I bought it. Prolly just wants to borrow my truck.

Thanks for the attempt to fix, I went to my local performace shop and they said they could do it BUT when I asked if it would pass the emission test that is due in June to renew the plate and he said I was most likely correct and it would fail.

Why do I have to fix a problem the GM can't and why am I responsible for it?

As for towing, I have never had a better truck... I just can't sleep at night because I never know if I will get and engine warning light the next time I start it and as the K's add up I sleep less and less because I know it's only a matter of k's.

Thanks for the attempt to fix, I went to my local performace shop and they said they could do it BUT when I asked if it would pass the emission test that is due in June to renew the plate and he said I was most likely correct and it would fail.

Why do I have to fix a problem the GM can't and why am I responsible for it?

As for towing, I have never had a better truck... I just can't sleep at night because I never know if I will get and engine warning light the next time I start it and as the K's add up I sleep less and less because I know it's only a matter of k's.

Yeah emissions test varies from state to state.....wasn't thinking about that. Not sure what your state does but NC does not hook a diesel up to the computer and I've got a couple of local shops that never do a visual inspection of mine because they know how well I maintain my personal vehicles......and we just don't talk about any performance modifications or alterations for those purposes. So it was no problem getting my diesel to pass emissions for renewal of registration. Find you a shop willing to NOT do a visual inspection (if your state does not require it to be hooked up) and you will be fine. Man I have read endless threads on the worry from people with 2011 in particular, but also 2012 and 2013 Duramax's and their issues with emissions. I would be worried sick about it too if I were in that situation. I did however have all intentions of deleting all the emissions and getting it programmed if I were to have bought an LML (2011 +) duramax.

My 2011 2500 HD Duramax has had nothing but problems. If I had the money I'd trade the lemon in! I don't sleep at night because I am worried the engine light will come on again which happens an average every 10,000 kms. One time it was at the dealer for a week!

There have been 5 Special Coverage Adjustments on it so far.

I fear it will cost me about $2,000 to repair it every 10,000 kms when the Special Coverage Adjustments run out. Plus I fear it will have very low resale value because the truck is known the be plagued with this unsolvable factory problem.

I always disliked Fords because in the past the cost more to repair then a GM. Now I'm not so sure about that any more.

I am thinking of a Dodge next time.

Anyone else having these problems with their 2011 Duramax please send me a message.

Paul

Have you had to have work done by the warranty extensions or do you just have the notices?

'Here' they are still very desirable on the used market.

I have been into the dealer many times, I don't have my file in front of me but I think it's been in nine times, fiver for no charge, two I am getting some money back but not all. Plus before the extensions I took it to deasil shop three times as it was way more affordable and I trust them... that means I do not trust the dealer and we only have one now in my city.

What kind of fool would buy this truck? I am an honest person so I feel I would have to disclose all the times I have been in and that the problem(s) cannot be solved by GM.

After the extensions are up at 190,000 k's I will have just about paid for it... then it will cost $1,200 to $2,000 every 10,000 k's to keep repairing the problem after regular maintenance and replacing all the parts that are engineered to fail for profit.

If all my deliveries where close enough I have a team of Canadian horses that could easily do the job.

Dont listen to the Internet too much.

People on here would have you believe that you need a 3500 with a 5th wheel and air bags to haul groceries, Just to defend their purchase of a 2500 and the tow ratings.

I vote for the 1500 with the 6.2 max tow. Because most of the time you will not be towing and appreciate the smoothness of the ride.

I learned this when i asked about a TT for my 1500 with 3.08 gears. Recently towed a friend's TT that was roughly 8000lbs and it was very calm and collected.

But the keyboard warriors will tell me night and day that my tow rating my tow rating blah blah blahhhh

Sent from my Note 4 on Tapashit

Is your truck rated to haul 8,000 lbs? I believe that is over the limit for a 1500 series truck.

If you are towing more then your vehicle is rated for not only will you be charged your highway enforcement officer if you get caught but you are also a danger to others on the road.

As a commercial hauler I must follow the rules. I see so many people hauling all kinds of stuff over the weighty all the time.

To get back to the original post: buy a truck that is rated to pull the maximum of what you need to haul. If you only haul something heavy once a year, rent vehicle that can pull it safely or hire a professional. I see so many people hauling double horse trailer with 1500's, and people that admit they can't back a trailer up! Get off the road before you kill someone!!!

It is unfortunate that most people are buying trucks for looks and want them to drive like a car. This has greatly over valued the price of a trucks and greatly decreased their durability.

Safety is not a game and I am sure that you would demand that I follow all the rules to make a living on your highways.

Archived