Highest-mileage vehicle you have ever owned(does NOT have to be a GM t

gmctrucks2006

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had an 89 Silverado with the 5.7 and it had 385,000 when I sold it. My dad bought the truck with 12k miles on it. Thing felt like a rocket ship back then and would lay serious rubber if you weren't careful. Forget about driving it in the rain. Haha

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

91 Chevy Astro Van Had 300,000 + when the a trans hose line broke. Put a new trans in it.

At 324,000 Water pump took out the engine. It was 108 degrees and I will pulling our 24 foot travel trailer up

out of Paso Robles on Hey 41. Put a rebuilt in it. But, it wasn't a good engine. had ping that would retard

the timing.

338,000 + Radiator hose burst, while hubby was driving it to work one morning , Red-lined the engine.

I was so done with it at that point. That is when I got my new truck. Then another new truck. LOL.

I had a friend years ago who drove his 88 Silverado to Mexico and back for years and he racked up over one million miles on the stock drivetrain. He said he had the dealership install a heavy duty oil pump when he bought it brand new in 87. When GM found out they installed a brand new motor and tranny in the truck and took the original drivetrain in for study, or whatever. I don't have any pictures but still wanted to share. I think he still has that truck.

2014 Chevy silverado Z71 DCSB w/Bilstein 5100 level

• 2 weeks later...

I had a 1983 GMC S15 with the (gutless) 2.8 V6. I bought it from a friend with close to 60,000 miles on it in 1986.

I had the engine replaced at 330,000 miles because the rear main seal was a rope seal and it leaked. It got to the point that it leaked a quart every 30 miles.

The engine ran great but figuring that it must be raised up enough to remove the oil pan, everything had to be disconnected, so I might as well pull it out. I also thought it might have a lot of wear and would be best to replace it. After replacing it, I had the internals checked and they were all within factory specs. (Wasted my money there) The second engine lasted 12,700 miles. The aluminum intake and the steal heads weren't torqued correctly, (or should I say they needed to be checked at the first 10,000 miles and weren't) which caused it to leak and antifreeze ate up the cam. I bought the third motor from ATK and installed it myself and sold the vehicle when it got to around 450,000 miles.

The first transmission lasted 220,000, it was the 700R4. The second one lasted about 100,000 miles and I had to have it rebuilt.

I had the truck painted and sold it in the year 2000 and bought a 2001 Silverado.

I really liked that GMC, I miss that I can't reach over the bed sides into the truck, and it got better mileage than any of my Silverado's I've owned.

Probably many have been referred as the Duke, anything Iron top and bottom back then and small.....2.5L They were really stout! How about the Deuce Deuce that thing was a freaking tank too!

The ol 2.5L is what I first heard referred to as the iron duke as well. Then someone said the 4.3L, and the 5.7L and...

I bet there are 10's of thousands of those engines still humming along...government vehicles etc. Many with a million miles I bet!

Archived