Water drip from Magnaflow cat-back system muffler - Help!

So, a couple months back I installed the Magnaflow cat-back, single in/dual out, exhaust system on my 2015 2500HD 6.0L Sierra (see some info/pics on the install and outcome below).

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/171270-2015-60-muffler/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1673626

Truly I am quite happy with it. Got a great deal online, sounds great, was able to install it myself with no major issues, got the dual tips perfectly aligned, etc...

Fast forward about 2,000 miles. Still love it, however after moving it in my driveway I recently noticed a 3rd wet spot underneath my truck about the same size/shape/color as what had resulted in water dripping from the exhaust tips. So, I got underneath and noticed that some water was dripping from both outlet ports from the muffler. Now, the drips on each side are coming from where you clamp the rear pipes to the muffler outlets.

Worth mentioning: periodically since installing, I have gotten back under the truck and checked every nut and bolt for loosening and re-tightened where necessary. There was some very slightly that tightened more after about 50-100 miles but absolutely none since then.

Also worth mentioning: the outlet ports on the rear of the muffler are basically exhaust pipe diameter and stick out roughly 1", which is what you connect the exhaust pipe to, and clamp down on. The 1" that sticks out obviously is not a perfect tube; the welding imperfections stick out 1/4"-1/2". I did not want to clamp the exhaust pipe down to only half, or the tip, of the outlet port, so it is partially clamped down over welded material. I believe this is obviously why there is some water leaking, but I saw no way to avoid this. I found the point where I thought the pipe was clamped on just enough to be as solid as possible, which meant MAYBE a few mm's of weld bumps, and tightened the hell out of it.

My question: how big of a problem is this small water leak, does it largely effect backpressure, performance, etc.? I am not very knowledgeable on exhaust systems as my last one was done at a local shop, but the only solution I can see is taking it to a shop and having them weld those pieces together to eliminate this issue. At that point, might they as well weld each connection together? Anyone have any other suggestions?

Any and all feedback or insight is appreciated. I am pretty sure I know what a shop will tell me to do, but hoping to get the real scoop here first!

Thanks!!!!

Condensation and its normal. My Corsa does it out the weep hole and the front joint, my stock system did it out the weep hole, every truck I've had did it. Condensation will find its way out one way or another. I'd just triple check the tightness of the clamps again throughout the system, make sure everything is lined up good.

Thanks 15hdriver! Just to clarify, I know condensation is normal and should expect to see that drip out. My concern laid strictly within the fact that it's also dripping from the muffler/pipe connection. I looked up weep hole and now know what that refers to. Thanks again.

Thanks 15hdriver! Just to clarify, I know condensation is normal and should expect to see that drip out. My concern laid strictly within the fact that it's also dripping from the muffler/pipe connection. I looked up weep hole and now know what that refers to. Thanks again.

Only two real options I can think of, one is to install band clamp connectors and the other is to have the joints welded. I cannot stand exhaust leaks!

Archived