Steering wheel jammed up, Stabilitrak errors

They have not...and I don't plan on ever driving this truck again but I need to battle a bit still I'm sure. I am talking to GM today and will also talk to BBB and NTHSA as well. Here's the latest from the dealer...

the latest:

"Well GM TAC (Technical Assistance Center) does know about the issue. The TAC advisor had the technician check several areas of the vehicle and we have found excessive voltage drop across the distributor center located near the battery and from the battery to the starter terminal. We have a new distribution center and positive battery cable set on order, expected 10/22-10/23 to arrive and install same day. They had a few cases where voltage drop was excessive across the negative cable, but not a very high number of them. Sure, someday it may become a recall but no action at this time. As I have more information available to me I will contact you with an update."

"Well GM TAC (Technical Assistance Center) does know about the issue. The TAC advisor had the technician check several areas of the vehicle and we have found excessive voltage drop across the distributor center located near the battery and from the battery to the starter terminal. We have a new distribution center and positive battery cable set on order, expected 10/22-10/23 to arrive and install same day. They had a few cases where voltage drop was excessive across the negative cable, but not a very high number of them. Sure, someday it may become a recall but no action at this time. As I have more information available to me I will contact you with an update."

Well GM TAC (Technical Assistance Center) does know about the issue. - Of course they do. Meaning you're not the first.

Kind of wish I still had my truck so I could look at the distribution system and the wiring. The wire should not have much discernable voltage drop at all. I would be more interested in the distribution box so I could see the make up. It should only be a a base that everything plugs into in there (Fuses, relays, breakers, etc) but I can't say for sure nowadays. I have never seen an actual wire go bad aside from breaking inside the insulation, but nothing that would be in the gage of wire they are talking about, so I would lean towards something like one of the crimp ends on the wire has some sort of issue like the wire in the crimp is loose or something. I think by replacing the entire distribution box and wire, they are being cautious (or lazy). At least it has a good chance of fixing your problem. The random voltage drops across your system could show up as communication errors you posted since the modules would basically be shutting off or only being partially powered. Vehicles are starting to get as complicated as the aircraft I used to work on.

Sure, someday it may become a recall but no action at this time. - I wonder if they said the same thing about ignition switches...

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I was trailering 8000 lbs running about 65 on a rough highway with oncoming traffic when everything on the dash went dead for a few seconds. When I got home I headed for the car wash, doing a slow left turn across traffic it jerked the steering wheel out of my hands every-time I would try to turn, See this similar video from YouTube

I don't think my wife will drive it anymore. All GM would tell me was to take it to the dealer. This is a serious safety issue.

I was trailering 8000 lbs running about 65 on a rough highway with oncoming traffic when everything on the dash went dead for a few seconds. When I got home I headed for the car wash, doing a slow left turn across traffic it jerked the steering wheel out of my hands every-time I would try to turn, See this similar video from YouTube

I don't think my wife will drive it anymore. All GM would tell me was to take it to the dealer. This is a serious safety issue.
What is she doing to make the truck do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I wonder if GM has performed a meaningful Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) on these systems to see what the worst case failure is and how the effects of the worst case failure are mitigated to an acceptable level.

In any case, the system failure should be to a safe state, brakes and steering should still work. When your power steering or power brakes booster fails on a traditional set up, you still have steering and brakes, you just need more force to control them.

I totally agree with you on FEMA. Other day I had a dead battery and after calling roadside assistance I got a jumpstart, engine started but no steering control or throttle control, Totally dead. I have BMW 740li 2006 they're know to have notorious electronic problems but never did I lose control to the bmw steering or throttle. Agreed bmw has hydraulic steering but no loss or no danger to lives no matter what the electric problem it gets. Imagine that happening on highway steering flips like that.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

That is ridiculous and needs to be addressed.

• Like 1

That is ridiculous and needs to be addressed.

MY 14 Sierra did that multiple times to me, while in drive and in reverse...almost broke my wrist one night. It was an electrical nightmare, flashing all kinds of DIC errors. Stayed in the shop for over three weeks with no help from GM or the dealer. Eventually they said it was a bad positive battery wire but even after replacing it the problem continued. Traded it in, let someone else crash it. I started a couple of threads on it and there are some others on here as well about it. Good luck OP

• 4 weeks later...

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 AWD Denali

Truck displays Traction control off, Stabilitrac off, Service Traction control, Service Stabilitrac at every ignition after truck is put in gear and begins moving. Occasionaly when making sharp right hand turns at low speeds, (out of the driveway, ect.) the truck seems to lock up the driver side wheel which makes it hop as if the truck was locked in 4 lo. The Traction Control will then kick in and give resistance on the pedal. after 5 - 10 seconds of continuous "hop" the wheel will be straitened and then the truck will drive fine.

• Like 2

2009 GMC Sierra 1500 AWD Denali

Truck displays Traction control off, Stabilitrac off, Service Traction control, Service Stabilitrac at every ignition after truck is put in gear and begins moving. Occasionaly when making sharp right hand turns at low speeds, (out of the driveway, ect.) the truck seems to lock up the driver side wheel which makes it hop as if the truck was locked in 4 lo. The Traction Control will then kick in and give resistance on the pedal. after 5 - 10 seconds of continuous "hop" the wheel will be straitened and then the truck will drive fine.

The steering gear in your truck is different than the 2014+ trucks. They have electric assisted steering in the newer ones now.

• 2 months later...

What ever came of this? Didnthe issue get fixed? I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado with 108,000 miles on and this has happened several times to me recently. Slowing down, almost to a stop or at a dead stop, turn left and then steering wheel jams up, stabilitrak notice comes on and truck dies. Takes about 4-5 attempts at turning the key for it to start up again.

• 1 month later...