Magnaflow 12587 for Catback exhaust, input please

If the dealer gets my vibration issue fixed I am looking at doing a catback exhaust.

I think the premade systems are great but $800-1200 seems like a rip. Maybe I am missing something?

Want something that is a notch louder than stock. I don't want American Thunder, Straight after cat or ATAK sounding exhaust. Just a nice tone and not super loud at interstate speeds. Don't want a headache after a 5 hour drive because the exhaust is too loud.

I have a 6.2 and this is not intended to be a performance gain. This is for sound and looks only. Also don't really care for the tips they put on the premade exhaust.

Looking at this muffler Magnaflow 12587. And then having a shop bend stainless pipes for the dual exhaust and I will provide my own tips. I figure I will be into this for less than $500

Any thoughts. Also what about the noise cancelation in the sound system. What effects will that system have on a catback exhaust.

I may end up sticking with stock. This is just thought process for now.

Thanks for your input.

If the dealer gets my vibration issue fixed I am looking at doing a catback exhaust.

I think the premade systems are great but $800-1200 seems like a rip. Maybe I am missing something?

Want something that is a notch louder than stock. I don't want American Thunder, Straight after cat or ATAK sounding exhaust. Just a nice tone and not super loud at interstate speeds. Don't want a headache after a 5 hour drive because the exhaust is too loud.

I have a 6.2 and this is not intended to be a performance gain. This is for sound and looks only. Also don't really care for the tips they put on the premade exhaust.

Looking at this muffler Magnaflow 12587. And then having a shop bend stainless pipes for the dual exhaust and I will provide my own tips. I figure I will be into this for less than $500

Any thoughts. Also what about the noise cancelation in the sound system. What effects will that system have on a catback exhaust.

I may end up sticking with stock. This is just thought process for now.

Thanks for your input.

I looked online and found a ton of videos of exhaust and I think the longer 22" muffler I posted above is going to be perfect. When I get it done I will post it up.

I have the 22" Magnaflow with single 4" tailpipe with no resonator and love the sound, no drone at all but still sounds like what a 6.2 equipped truck should sound like. My CAI is louder in the cab than the exhaust ever is. But I did it for performance more than anything, coupled with the intake and a custom HP tune on the dyno.

IMG_3920_zpsrytzbaof.jpg

IMG_4030_zpsrnhmc9pc.jpg

I have the 22" Magnaflow with single 4" tailpipe with no resonator and love the sound, no drone at all but still sounds like what a 6.2 equipped truck should sound like. My CAI is louder in the cab than the exhaust ever is. But I did it for performance more than anything, coupled with the intake and a custom HP tune on the dyno.

IMG_3920_zpsrytzbaof.jpg

IMG_4030_zpsrnhmc9pc.jpg

Thanks for the input. I will probably go with the magnaflow.

I ended up getting the Magnaflow 12587 with the single 3.5 in and dual 2.5 out and some stainless tips.

I am taking the truck to my hometown where I have a friend that owns an exhaust shop.

When it is done I will post up a video.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up getting the Magnaflow 12587. I bought stainless tubes and did duals out each side behind the rear wheels with stainless tips. It cost me $529 total.

The result, it is a little louder than I wanted. I pull a trailer a lot and the truck is a lot louder while doing that.

The engine brake suffers due to no enough back pressure. And it cackles while trying to use the engine brake.

Overall I wish I hadn't done this but it seemed like a fun adventure.

The good thing is that I had a vibration that was mostly fixed by the GM dealer. The exhaust covers up any trace of that issue because the exhaust creates its own vibration from the tone.

I seem to get worse gas mileage because I am constantly trying to ride the power band to hear the exhaust. It does sound good in the V-8 mode. The V-4 mode the sound is awful.

At 73mph plus the exhaust is a little to loud. My ears don't ring like my older truck did while driving on the interstate, it is a little unpleasant. Under 70mph it is ok.

I am going to run it for a while and if I still think it is too loud I will swap the stock exhaust back on.

It does sound great and I love the look of the duals.

I Never have liked Magnaflow but MBRP gets my vote. A full 3.5" stainless system less than $550 can't be beat.

RT

Where do you get that? Up here in CT, the only place that would do mufflers for 500 bucks does it without stainless steal and says i can get tops 5 years before the winter's rust it out.

Where do you get that? Up here in CT, the only place that would do mufflers for 500 bucks does it without stainless steal and says i can get tops 5 years before the winter's rust it out.

Look at Summit Racing, Jegs. Muffler shop exhausts suck with their crimped bends. Kits are the only way to go with mandrel bends.

RT

• 9 months later...

Look at Summit Racing, Jegs. Muffler shop exhausts suck with their crimped bends. Kits are the only way to go with mandrel bends.

RT

Mandrel bends sure look nice but very little performance is sacrificed because most run stock engines.

If you are talking 500hp plus and racing then mandrel bends all the way. For the street regular crimped bends are just fine.

Archived