Green Mechanic-Brake Rotor Problem

I haven't done much repair work since I was a kid, so I've been doing some things on my own lately, trying to become a little more self-reliant with my truck. Last night I replaced my front hub bearing assembly but in the reassembly process I made a mistake with the brakes. I'm not sure exactly what I did. . On my test drive around the block the brakes started dragging. I pulled the wheel off and found that the inside brake pad was cocked and the ear had made contact with the rotor. It left a rough ring about 3/8" wide around the rotor. I can't discern any depth to the ring. To my touch it just feels rough.

I may not have fully reset the caliper pistons. I might have twisted the brake pad when I put it on. I really don't know.

I have a few questions:

1) What did I do wrong?

2) Have I ruined the rotor? And if so, do I need to get it resurfaced or replaced?

post-149435-0-48564800-1445191120_thumb.jpg

Is it possible that you mounted the caliper bracket on the OUTSIDE of the hub carrier and not the INSIDE (closer to brake rotor) where it belongs? That's all I can think of. Take both wheels off and compare the two sides to figure out what went wrong.

Personally, I'd say yes, replace the rotor, otherwise you run the risk of that groove being transferred to the brake pad. If it looks like the pad is already gouged, you may be replacing that as well. Sorry. We all green mechanics as one time or another, we've all made mistakes.

I wouldn't waste money replacing any of those parts - yet..

The rough spot on the rotor will quickly be smoothed out by the pad. It may put a momentary light groove in the pad, but it won't be able to go very deep, as the rest of the rotor won't allow it. The pads and rotors are high wear items, may as well get your use out of them. Use em up, til they're wore out, THEN throw them out.

It's just brakes; as long as they have proper contact and pressure and are assembled properly, they'll work fine. If it was a groove on a bearing, or cylinder wall, etc. it would be a different story...

Worst case, take a grinder with a rough grit sanding disk and lightly rough up both side of the rotors to help the pads seat properly.

Honestly, when it's your first time, you should have somebody who knows what they're doing help you on jobs like this, Or, watch a few youtube vids of brake jobs on these trucks. That way you'll prevent these types of mistakes.

I wouldn't waste money replacing any of those parts - yet.. (snip)

It's just brakes;

(End snip)

Honestly, when it's your first time, you should have somebody who knows what they're doing help you on jobs like this, Or, watch a few youtube vids of brake jobs on these trucks. That way you'll prevent these types of mistakes.

Really? Yeah. Just brakes... aside from tires, the single most important safety feature of the vehicle. It's all good. No worries.

This is really bad advice.

I can't tell how badly scored that rotor is but for the money (not to mention the safety) why not replace it or have a professional turn it to remove the scoring if it is light enough to do so.

That side's brake pad will not be making full contact with the rotor's surface, scored like that. Decreasing the braking efficiency of that side. Longer braking distance and uneven braking performance will result. Buy hey, properly working effective brakes aren't a big deal really?

Really? Yeah. Just brakes... aside from tires, the single most important safety feature of the vehicle. It's all good. No worries.

This is really bad advice.

I can't tell how badly scored that rotor is but for the money (not to mention the safety) why not replace it or have a professional turn it to remove the scoring if it is light enough to do so.

That side's brake pad will not be making full contact with the rotor's surface, scored like that. Decreasing the braking efficiency of that side. Longer braking distance and uneven braking performance will result. Buy hey, properly working effective brakes aren't a big deal really?

I was waiting for someone to jump on this.

There's nothing wrong with my advice, if followed properly. Many folks might panic, but that really speaks to their lack of understanding, not mine.

I was waiting for someone to jump on this.

There's nothing wrong with my advice, if followed properly. Many folks might panic, but that really speaks to their lack of understanding, not mine.

Yep. You win.

Half a$$ed brake jobs rock.

Yep. You win.

Half a$$ed brake jobs rock.

You do understand that the only time you get truly100% braking capacity is when all the parts are brand new and installed properly.....?After a few hard stops, winter weather with salt spray, bad road conditions, etc., etc., etc., braking ability quickly degrades on all cars, even if the parts still have lots of life in them. It's one of the laws of the universe.

In the process of using high friction to turn kinetic energy into heat, all kinds of funny things happen as the pads and rotors wear out, including; uneven wear, grooves, sticking calipers, uneven clamping, etc. etc. this is exacerbated by inconsistent metal in the rotors and material in the pads. That little groove is no different to what happens with brakes under normal circumstances.

Putting those parts back on isn't going to cause any issues, as long as they're installed properly. The OP might as well get his money out of them. After a couple hard stops, everything will be as normal as it would otherwise....

That rotor is not new to start with, plus damaged. Reusing it will shorten the life of any pads you put on it. Extreme example: Friend brought a vehicle by that had new brakes put on two weeks previously and mechanic replaced the pads only. Rotors were in bad shape. Granted it was run on a paper route which is extremely hard on brakes. But in two weeks time everything had to be replaced. How lucky do you feel? I'd do it right, both sides.

You do understand that the only time you get truly100% braking capacity is when all the parts are brand new and installed properly.....?After a few hard stops, winter weather with salt spray, bad road conditions, etc., etc., etc., braking ability quickly degrades on all cars, even if the parts still have lots of life in them. It's one of the laws of the universe.

In the process of using high friction to turn kinetic energy into heat, all kinds of funny things happen as the pads and rotors wear out, including; uneven wear, grooves, sticking calipers, uneven clamping, etc. etc. this is exacerbated by inconsistent metal in the rotors and material in the pads. That little groove is no different to what happens with brakes under normal circumstances.

Putting those parts back on isn't going to cause any issues, as long as they're installed properly. The OP might as well get his money out of them. After a couple hard stops, everything will be as normal as it would otherwise....

Why argue? I have already conceded that scored rotors produce superior braking. Not to mention extremely long wear and quiet, dust free operation. Probably for life!

It's only brakes after all. (/sarcasm off).

Archived