2016 2500HD Pricing

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was fortunate enough to buy a 2015 2500 HD. Just for kicks, I decided to do a "build" of my exact same truck on the 2016 version.

The MSRP on my 2015 SLT with the Duramax, Driver Alert, power sunroof, 6 inch assist steps, heated and cooled buckets seats, camper mirrors, tilt steering column, wiring provision, and radiator cover (dealers always throw that in for the added profit) came to $61,769.00 with the destination charge and $1,500 "discount". The exact same 2016 truck now has an MSRP of $66,060.00 with destination charge and the same $1,500 "discount - almost 7 percent more. Insane if you ask me and boy am I glad I bought my truck last year.

I guess GM figured that since Ford raised all the prices of their new aluminum trucks GM could do the same, even though they are basically the exact same truck as last year's GMC versus Ford's all new truck.

At the current rate of increase, new HD's will be listing at almost $90K in 5 years!

They've priced themselves out of my market.

When I can afford to buy a used truck, build a garage, and stock it with tools for any repairs needed, cheaper than the new truck, we are definitely not in Kansas anymore Toto.

With that said, if the line of idiots willing to walk through the doors of the dealerships with their pants down just begging for it, then nothing will change.

WANT and NEED, once people figure out that the latter should always dictate, then you will see prices fall in line with reality. Until then they will continue to climb.

My neighbor and his 2 adult sons living living with him, all have brand new trucks that cost in the area of $50k+ each, and all 3 of them combined make less than I do.

Just because they will finance you, doesn't me it's ok to buy something.

Look at what that got us with the housing market.

I drive a car that I paid less than $15k for new, which I owe less than $1k on now, and I have a 95 pickup thats been paid for since 98.

I guess it's the world we live in, but then again, if you look around, we reap what we sew.

That is the beauty of pitting dealers against one another. I have done that several times over the years. And I NEVER complete a deal on the same day. I always tell them I will sleep on it. Amazing how they will try to sweeten the deal. I still wait till next day to complete any deal. One dealer, when I came back, said they didn't expect me to show up again. I told them I would if the deal was good. For showing back up, they even sweetened the deal a little more. One has to never act like they need something, only considering. I have probably averaged close to 20% off of MSRP at a minimum for my last several vehicles, including the 2015 2500 I have now. Stickered for $49 and change, got it for $39 and change, along with a free Line-X bedliiner job.

Sales are down because the consumer has been shakin down by the auto industry.

Record profits are not good when it leads to a bankrupted consumer followed by record losses.

New vehicles, trucks especially, are completely overpriced and if it weren't for 6,7,8,10 year payment plans, and subprime lending, the sales wouldn't of been made to begin with.

The real question is, in what fairy tale world does GM see this not leading to a catastrophic ending?

What happens when these vehicles fail and the owners still owe several thousands of dollars on them?

Obviously noone at any of the automakers is planning for sustainability in the US market.

In case GM hasn't been paying attention, wages are down, debt is up, and the majority of the country cannot come up with $1,000 in 30 days.

Maybe it's just me, but I will not spend as much on a new vehicle as it would cost to build a garage, stock it with tools, and buy a used vehicle for.

You people are nuts, and that's why this country is going to hell in a hand basket, going from one financial crisis to the next.

The GM workers will feast today, but rest assured, with its eternally flawed business model, will suffer famine tomorrow.

$40-$70K for a pickup truck, not a dump truck or a bucket truck, a pickup truck.

GM cut wages and benefits and raised prices, for record profits?

Exactly why did they need to be bailed out to begin with???

Oh yeah, something called a credit bubble.

Surely noone would be stupid enough to promote something like that again.

Wow, you're a fun one Frugal.

Not sure where you're getting your info, but truck sales are up year over year. A direct quote from today's Wall Street Journal "General Motors Co. ’s fourth-quarter profit surged amid growth in China and booming U.S. sales of pickup trucks and sport-utility vehicles, capping a record year for the nation’s largest auto maker."

I'm with frugal1. That said this is just like talking oil, tires, lifts, politics, etc. A personal choice.

First - I never enjoyed working enough to spend money needlessly.

Second - I wanted to retire as soon as possible.

Third - I wanted money in my pocket and not GM's when it came to vehicles.

So I have always bought used, have not financed a vehicle since 1996, drive them for extended periods.

Drive it long enough and pay cash for the next one.

I retired at 58. So keep spending and working. :D

I was fortunate enough to buy a 2015 2500 HD. Just for kicks, I decided to do a "build" of my exact same truck on the 2016 version.

The MSRP on my 2015 SLT with the Duramax......came to $61,769.00....The exact same 2016 truck now has an MSRP of $66,060.00

Don't know about that but a 16 Denali Diesel with your opts and more is listed at 67,600 here at my dealer. And I was told that they went down to 61000 for a sale. Not too bad for a loaded Denali.

Pretty wild, considering I bought a Freightliner semi truck with 70" sleeper with Webasto built in diesel fired heater for it when truck is shut off in winter, built in refrigerator and more cabinets than I really need, Xantress inverter/battery charger for 120v power outlets in sleeper and charging batteries when hooked up to shore power or generator, air ride suspension, 18 speed trans, 12.7L 500hp 1750 torque engine, Meritor dual drive axles with full lockers, polished durabrite aluminum wheels all the way around, premium noise abatement and arctic insulation packages, air ride seats, Dupont Viper Blue Pearl Elite paint job and a deer guard up front with 4" stainless steel tubes. All for $112K ready to go to work.

So I would agree... the price for pickups is totally unjustified.

Well said.

I agree 100 percent.

Most new trucks that are sold, never haul anything, and never go off road, and are short bed models that aren't capable of hauling a sheet of plywood.

The majority of four wheel drive trucks on the road are very seldom actually used in 4 wheel drive mode.

They are being bought as status symbols by individuals that have no use for, or intent to use a truck for what it was built for.

The rest of us who actually buy trucks to haul, pull, and work with, are suffering from prices driven by yahoos that are just burning excessive amounts of fuel hauling around loads of hot air.

Wow, you're a fun one Frugal.

Not sure where you're getting your info, but truck sales are up year over year. A direct quote from today's Wall Street Journal "General Motors Co. s fourth-quarter profit surged amid growth in China and booming U.S. sales of pickup trucks and sport-utility vehicles, capping a record year for the nations largest auto maker."

Just wait.

The layoffs are coming like a tidal wave.

If trucking and rails aren't hauling it, it's not being built, sold, or shipped, and all freight volumes are down, 9-17% for last 6 months, and yes, that is excluding coal, and shale oil.

Just wait.

The layoffs are coming like a tidal wave.

If trucking and rails aren't hauling it, it's not being built, sold, or shipped, and all freight volumes are down, 9-17% for last 6 months, and yes, that is excluding coal, and shale oil.

Not that I want to turn this thread into a political/economical thread, but where are you getting this info from?

While the economy has some week spots, there are a number of positive things going on.

Archived