Retrofitting the factory integrated brake controler

Greetings all,

I've searched and read a few other threads, but haven't found a consensus of opinion. I recently picked up a 2015 Denali. The truck has a towing package, but not the Max that includes the integrated brake controller.

I know there are some great aftermarket pieces, but I like the clean look of the IBC. Does anyone know for sure if the factory harness has the IBC plug behind the little blank slot in the dash? I don't want to hack into the harness, but if there's a pig-tail back there that I can plug an IBC into I'd prefer that. Even the dealership can't give me a sold answer so I'm hoping someone here has first hand experience.

Thanks in advance, Dana

• Like 1

No it cannot be added.

#PIT5241B: Adding Integrated Trailer Brake Controller RPO JL1 - (Mar 27, 2014)
Subject: Adding Integrated Trailer Brake Controller RPO JL1

Models: 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
2015 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2014 GMC Sierra 1500
2015 GMC Sierra, Yukon Models

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update Note section. Please discard PIT5241A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some customers may request the factory Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (RPO JL1) be installed on their Full-Size Pickup or SUV when the vehicle was not ordered with the option.

This is to advise you that - if the vehicle does not have the option (RPO JL1), it cannot be added to the vehicle.

So has anyone successfully installed one of the Prodigy units in the dash where the factory unit sits?

I have the IBC so im not sure about the Prodigy units. But I do know I have seen several members on the forum install aftermarket brake controllers. A couple have mountes them in the factory location and next to the steering column as well.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The factory controller 'for sure' can not be added, it's not possible. The entire wire harness is different, along with the brake system programming.

You can install an aftermarket brake controller anywhere you wish, as long as the direction of the controller is installed as the instructions state. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 in my 2010 Silverado and it seems to work just as well as the GM OEM controller in my 2008. The P3 actually gives more options and is customizable, you can choose different trailer settings. With my OEM controller, it doesn't offer any of that.

The factory controller 'for sure' can not be added, it's not possible. The entire wire harness is different, along with the brake system programming.

You can install an aftermarket brake controller anywhere you wish, as long as the direction of the controller is installed as the instructions state. I have a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 in my 2010 Silverado and it seems to work just as well as the GM OEM controller in my 2008. The P3 actually gives more options and is customizable, you can choose different trailer settings. With my OEM controller, it doesn't offer any of that.

+1

I have a P3 programmed to setting for 2 different trailers

• 2 weeks later...

I have the p3 i took out of my 2000 expedition I traded in on my 15 silverado with the factory brake control.

While the clean nature of the factory one is nice and it works fine, i feel the p3 is a better, stronger braking unit. Spend the money on a p3, you won't regret it. There was a post here awhile ago where a guy added the p3 to his truck that had the factory brake control bc he felt it was a better, stronger braking unit, again i agree with him.

Edited by GsBowtie

Thanks,

I'm kind of liking the removable feature of the Tenkonsha units. I think I'll go that way. I had a slide bar version on my old truck then up-graded to a digital and I liked that I could set a specific rating for the trailer empty and full, no guess work with the gain nob.

But I do want a clean installation, I've busted too many knees on bulky units and I'd like my new truck to stay looking nice, at least for a while.

Dana

• 2 weeks later...

I also have purchased a P3 and I intend top mount it in the dash in the same place as where the OE IBC would be (except my dash has the coin/storage pocket instead of the IBC). I'll do a write-up and pictures as I do the mod... I have a replacement dash piece on order ($20 is all!) for the switch panel (4x4 control, headlights, and coin/storage pocket). Surprisingly, the P3 will fit in the pocket if you trim out the left side of the pocket... it will go in as far as the manual lever pivot on the bottom at the same time that it bottoms in the pocket. I'll then use a urethane foam to make a custom fit foam insert and will likely use at least one of the screw holes in the side of the P3. This should be a very clean install when I'm done...

I too have no desire to mount it low on the dash where I'll either bang my leg on it, or won't be able to reach it easily to change programs, or use the manual lever.

• Like 1

I love my P3 controller and I have filled my cubby with switches where the factory break controller would live. Im still a curious person so when I removed the cubby to put the switches in it had a holder and a plug in the back of the cubby going nowhere..... was that the wires for the break controller???... if I had one

Switch for light bar and dual battery control switch

I love my P3 controller and I have filled my cubby with switches where the factory break controller would live. Im still a curious person so when I removed the cubby to put the switches in it had a holder and a plug in the back of the cubby going nowhere..... was that the wires for the break controller???... if I had one

NO..........It is not possible to add the OEM controller if your truck did not have it and the wiring for a brake controller is not wired into trucks that don't have that factory installed option.

NO..........It is not possible to add the OEM controller if your truck did not have it and the wiring for a brake controller is not wired into trucks that don't have that factory installed option.

Thats weird I wonder what that plug is for I will take a picture of it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...