Do You Wait For The Oil Change Reminder In Your GM?

Gorehamj

I have decided that on any new vehicles from here forward that i will change the original factory oil at between 500 and 1000 miles. All manufacturing processes including engine assembly will have some foreign particles be it gasket sealer / thread anti seize / metal shavings etc. That would seem to be the most critical thing to do. I agree that the new oils have much different properties from the 60's and should theoretically last for 12000 miles dependent upon driving conditions.. I will probably go by the Oil Life Monitor on mine from the first oil change forward unless I see a black looking oil on the dipstick or find some data that tells me that the GM Engineers are plotting to make us destroy our engines so we have to buy a new truck very few years. I guess that could be considered a form of Job Security....

Wouldn't the oil filter catch any foreign particles?

My 2015 2500 gets oil changed at about 5000 miles. First change at just over 1000 miles. My 2006 Caddy, it gets oil change at 3000 miles but it has issues. Never have gone by OLM. GM even screwed up the OLM settings on some vehicles, my 2006 Caddy included. They had to come out later with new program parameters because they had gotten the time too long on oil change interval. I get my oil in bulk thru my business lubricant supplier, so it is cost effective for me to change oils earlier than OLM or what others might do.

• 3 months later...

I have my new vehicle serviced at 500 miles just in case there is assembly crud floating around. Then I run Mobile one every three thousand miles, always have, always will. I am quite aware the oil will go much longer than 3000 but having grown up with a 55 Chevy ( anyone remember the accessory oil filter can on top of the intake on a 265?) and poor filtering through that can my engines lasted much longer than my dad's cars...he thought you changed oil by adding a quart when it was low.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My new trucks get there first at 1000-1500 whenever I have time to bring it in. Then 3000-3500 whenever I have free time. These 8qt oil changes hurt the pocket book a little but I would rather be safe personally..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Oh I get it. I read that line differently the first time, like to get on the gas while driving. Which does not make sense given the rest of what was being said. Sometimes I think, without thinking.

With that said, I have a friend with a '13 or '14 Ford 150 where he gets on the gas hard once a month to clear of the injectors or something like that. He read it was a fix for getting things un-fouled.

I know we're not running Ford motors, but any ideas that getting on the gas hard with our trucks could have positive results for our motor injection system. You know, with the exception of it feeling good to us driving.

• 1 month later...

Mine is going in for its first change this weekend. It will have just over 2000 miles on it. Every 3000 - 4000 miles thereafter synthetic or not. Don't care what OLM says. That is how I have always done it.

• 3 months later...

ok, so does the OLM actually analyze oil or does it just run off of odometer?

On the one truck i have that has it, I have been going by it. Try and do it before it reaches 5% if have the weekend off. Other trucks i ran to 5000 max but between 3-5000 was average time. 88 K2500 i hated doing because oil filter laid on side and couldn't fill up all the way so every time i started after filter change was just watching pressure gauge....

07 I switched to valvoline durablend partial synthetic, seem to be getting better gas mileage with it over conventional.

other vehicles I've owned with questionable service i would change oil and filter quite frequently until it would stay clear for about 2000 plus miles. Have had vehicles where changed oil and in less than 500 was black.

The OLM uses all sorts of data to calculate the percentage used, such as trip length, temps, etc. It does not analyze the oil in the crankcase.

I changed the original factory fill oil/filter right at 1000 miles.

I then change the oil/filter at 5k mile intervals.

I run Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 0W20 and non-E Core PF63 Delco filters.