2013 5.3 engine problem

A few months ago I finally found the truck with everything I wanted. Black 2013 with 20 in factory Crome wheels and the full tow package. And to top it off I turned the key to find it only had 7,000 miles put on it in 2 years. I bought it knowing I would be doing the same, as I only use the truck to tow a small camper.

To my disappointment, I've noticed a knocking noise between idle and around 1000 rpm after the engine is warm. No, it's not ticking or pecking, it's knocking.

Taking it in tomorrow for diagnosis. Dealer Engine tech checked it a few days ago and I thought for sure they would blow it off and say it's normal but to my surprise he actually said its not normal at all. Also said 5.3 s have been an issue for years. He said they would start at the top and work their way down until they find the fail point then call GM. I makes me cringe to think of someone tarring into a new engine and possibly not torquing everything back correctly, but it's under warranty so.... O well.

I'm starting to think I should have gone for the 5.0 F 150. Lol

Has anyone else had this issue? Thx

The head bolts are torque to yield, so new ones will have to be ordered.

The pre afm LS engines are gooid for 350,000 miles. I had 217,000 on my 04 5.3 when I traded it.

Fords break too, dont second guess yourself.

Good luck.

Glad to hear that they are going to take care of it rather then write it off as "normal". My truck has over 375k miles and from the best I can tell, it's the original engine. It just has the infamous piston slap upon initial start up. Keep us updated on the progress.

Ford 5.slows knock a lot too so it really wouldn't be an upgrade there. A lot of the blocks suffered core shift and ill fitting pistons and have been swapped under warranty. Honestly I would be wary of any afm engine but almost especially towards extremely low mileage ones. It's like it was never driven and had nothing but problems lol.

Sent from a potato

Archived