Problem with front suspension after leveling kit? (Bump stops)

I put 2.25" leveling keys in a 2015 GMC 2500 Denali Duramax and now the customer is complaining of noise in the front end suspension. My service manage thinks it's the bump stops since they are no longer touching.... has anyone had this issue?

It is the upper control arms hitting the frame stops, you need to install aftermarket upper control arms.

You must have installed the shock spacers otherwise the shocks would be bottoming out and not letting the control arms hit the frame stops.

I recommend Cognito upper control arms but others recommend other brands, the most important part is installing quality ball joints and not the trash that they come with, most recommend Spicer ball joints.

It is the upper control arms hitting the frame stops, you need to install aftermarket upper control arms.

You must have installed the shock spacers otherwise the shocks would be bottoming out and not letting the control arms hit the frame stops.

I recommend Cognito upper control arms but others recommend other brands, the most important part is installing quality ball joints and not the trash that they come with, most recommend Spicer ball joints.

Thank you for your input! I looked at it again today and I can see where the upper control arms could be upgraded but in this case our issue is something different. While driving around 5 MPH over a dirt parking lot, it sounds almost like a loose tie rod end?? I thought maybe the shocks were stretched too far but the leveling kit came with shock spacers and we did install them. We've installed many of these leveling kits and this is the first time seeing this issue..... I'm still baffled??? :dunno:

There really isn't a whole lot up there to make noise. Like SMiller said, if you added the shock extenders without the control arms the UCA's are going to be riding on the Frame Stops. They are the ones under the upper control arms. They are not the rubber bumpers that used to contact the lower control arms. If it isn't that making the noise it is in the shocks. You could lower it back down with the torsion bolts and make a quick run around the parking lot, if the noise is still there it is in the shocks. Could be as easy as one shock not being tightened correctly also letting it move around a bit.

There really isn't a whole lot up there to make noise. Like SMiller said, if you added the shock extenders without the control arms the UCA's are going to be riding on the Frame Stops. They are the ones under the upper control arms. They are not the rubber bumpers that used to contact the lower control arms. If it isn't that making the noise it is in the shocks. You could lower it back down with the torsion bolts and make a quick run around the parking lot, if the noise is still there it is in the shocks. Could be as easy as one shock not being tightened correctly also letting it move around a bit.

There are witness marks on the frame stops so the UCAs have touched but this noise is at low speeds with little movement in the suspension. What kit did you install and have you noticed any noises coming from yours? (We use the ReadyLift 2.25" kit and have done quite a few without any issues.) I will take a look at it again today, take a closer look at the shocks and hopefully I can find something. Thanks for the input!

There are witness marks on the frame stops so the UCAs have touched but this noise is at low speeds with little movement in the suspension. What kit did you install and have you noticed any noises coming from yours? (We use the ReadyLift 2.25" kit and have done quite a few without any issues.) I will take a look at it again today, take a closer look at the shocks and hopefully I can find something. Thanks for the input!

I just used the factory keys without the shock extenders and have no noise. Good luck tracking it down.

• 4 years later...