Suggestions

So I am currently in the market for a new pickup to me. I am getting a 2014 or 15 Sierra Denali.

In the past I have had an 08 denali with 6.2 that I loved. The more I research, the more I love both trucks. I have been looking at diff website and see that i can get a 2500hd denali with diesel for not much more (used). There is no real reason to have this truck other than because I think it is a bad a** truck and mileage would be about the same and resale of Diesel truck is very good and easy to get more hp out of it. Has anyone ever been in this predicament? Suggestion.

While I liked my '14 HD there is no way I would go back to the old interior after being in the '15.

I find the price of half tons so expensive that for little or no more money you can get the same truck but with a bullet proof drive train under making it a no brained to buy a HD.

QUOTE - and resale of Diesel truck is very good (why bother / your not in that business)

cars & trucks are a very BAD invesment overall - just buy what you love and can afford - buying your 2nd choice or used may will cost more heart ache than money ...

my 2015 HD is the best thing I've ever owned , and I really liked my 2011 HD

Gas vs Duramax - both are top notch

the newer the better (IMHO)

the more you pay (newer) the more it's worth later ... when you sell

The one thing that is holding me back is I am a school teacher and dont tow anything that a half ton cant handle. Im I crazy for considering a 2500hd. Also, does anyone know if the length and height of 2500 hd? If it doesn't fit in my garage than I"ll get 1500 denali with short bed.

My 15 25 HD is about 78 innches tall ...

2500 HD:

Height, Overall (2WD) 77.80 in. 78.11 in. Height, Overall (4WD) 77.76 in. 78.11 in. Ground Clearance (2WD) 8.78 in. 9.57 in. Ground Clearance (4WD) 8.78 in.

9.53 in.

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-2500hd-heavy-duty-trucks/specs/trims.html#

1500:

Height, Overall (2WD) 73.97 in. 73.50 in. Height, Overall (4WD) 74.13 in. 73.77 in. Ground Clearance (2WD) 8.23 in. 8.33 in. Ground Clearance (4WD) 8.60 in. 8.77 in.

about 4 inches taller than the 1500 .

http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado-1500-pickup-truck/specs/trims.html

Crew Cab Std Box Denali 25HD = 239.5 inches

1500 Crew Cab Short Bed = 230.03 inchhes

it's listed in the links above - just tough to find at first ... (under dimensions & select model- far right column)

The one thing that is holding me back is I am a school teacher and dont tow anything that a half ton cant handle. Im I crazy for considering a 2500hd. Also, does anyone know if the length and height of 2500 hd? If it doesn't fit in my garage than I"ll get 1500 denali with short bed.

I'm in the same boat regarding towing weight. I could probably get away just fine with a 1500, especially given the frequency I tow at. But I prefer the 2500, especially when the price was about the same for a comparable 1500. Some people just like trucks; you may catch grief for it on a forum by having all that truck and very little work to do, but if you enjoy it, so what? People seem overly judgmental of folks who aren't pushing trucks to 100% of their capability 24/7, but if a sports car driver is speeding, we all lose our minds. It's a strange double standard.

One interesting thing to consider, though, is payload. My last tow was about 8000 pounds, but with all of the gear and people in the cab and bed, I would have easily gone over the max payload for the 1500. Considering this was one trip, I probably would have been ok skating by with the 1500 despite surpassing payload. But it was nice having a solid tow vehicle that could safely match highway traffic speeds while towing through the mountains, rain or shine.

Regarding your garage, just measure the garage and factor in some safety margins. You may fit the truck in, but can you close the garage door or open a passenger door? I parked the 2500 next to the 1500 I test drove and, even though the 1500 had the diminutive short box, it was almost dimensionally the same truck. The 2500 gains some height; if you get a 1500 with the standard bed, they're about the same length. Width is the same and the tow mirrors fold. I routinely take my 2500 into parking garages, but have yet to see a house garage that could take it due to length. I would be in the same situation with a 1500 standard bed.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, though; the new 6.2 is a great motor.

Archived