I need some help finding the right front receiver!

Any help would be great. I'm trying to find a front hitch that does not drop below the front air dam. My truck is low to start with and all the receivers I can find look like they drop below the dam. At some point I would like a front bumper for my winch but for now I like being able to move it between my trucks, van, and trailers. My other option is to build one but I feel a bolt on option would save a lot of time if one is out there. Also I'm just fine cutting into my bumper for one that will be higher.

• Like 2

Ok so i am thinking about using a Reese Towpower 37042 multi fit hitch. I like the idea that I can adjust it to sit behind the tag. It has the same specs as a normal front hitch. Any thoughts??? My one question at this point is what the rounded things are on the frame below the tow rings?

37042_Z1.jpg

• Like 1

Well the hitch gets here on Sat! I figure my other two front hitches have the same 500/5000lb spec but they also have a specific 9000lb line pull rating too. I would think this hitch with the same tow specs should have the same line pull strength as the curt front hitches I have. I have a hard time believing that Reese would put anything on the market that didn't have some safety factor built in. My only concern is it says not to modify the hitch but.... if its rated at 500/5000lb when its at its widest mounting position if i end up shorting it a little it will only be stronger. From what i can see the steel at the ends of the main hitch bar is not doubled or anything to make it stronger. I will make sure to post all of my findings and pictures of the project. Maybe someone else has the same issue I have. Of course Im sure after I do this someone smart will tell me about a receiver that is made for just the thing I want.

Just to recap on why Im doing this over putting the "concealed" curt hitch on or a new bumper is......

-The truck sits way to low to start so adding a receiver in the "concealed" position is still sitting under the bumper your just trimming the air dam a little

-Once you put a winch that sticks out a foot to the front the approach angle on the truck is about the same as a Corvette

-As far as a bumper goes the lightest one I have seen is the aluminum still at over 200 pounds and around $1700 my hitch if it works was $109 ( dont get me wrong if I ever get a HD I will swap bumpers right away )

-I tow a lot with my truck and when Im fully loaded with my camper, 3 people, 2 dogs, and a 300lb in the bed Im still 200lb under my total GVWR of 7200lb so adding a 60lb hitch should not be a issue

-I want this hitch to sit right with my tow rings

• Like 1

OK so I figured i would get a jump on this weekends list by taking the air dam off tonight. It looks so much better at least to me. Here are some before and after pictures. Also I have added some pictures of the rounded metal I have questions about. If anyone knows what it is please let me know.

With Lower Air Dam

With Lower air Dam

No Lower Air Dam

No Lower Air Dam

File 002

File 001

Edited by JasonAVGuy

Ok so I have installed a hidden front receiver and I`m very happy with it! if you read my post above you will see why I decided to do it this way vs buying one for the truck. I ended up not using the Reese receiver and went with a Curt 13900 Class 3 Multi-Fit Trailer Hitch. A link will be below and im sure glad this is the one I used it worked great! It even extends to the right width using the pre drilled holes but you will have to flip it upside down and switch the side brackets. It is rated for the same 500/5000lb as my other Curt front receivers it just does not have the 9000lb line pull rating because it is a rear hitch by design. Anyone please correct me if im wrong but I see no reason it wont withstand the same line pull force. The only thing is it does sit a little farther back then perfect. Just make sure your Winch, bike rack, ect has a longer 2in tube and you will be fine. Here is what I did.... also I have a second set of hands. THANKS JONATHAN!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/13900-Class-Multi-Fit-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B00WQNSSZS

In addition to the normal tools I used the following items

-Drill with 1/2 in metal bit

-Bar Steel ( For large washers )

-Angle Grinder with 80grit wheel and cut off wheel

-Bed Liner Spray

​-White Lithium Grease for cooling the bit

Here are my steps if you have any questions just ask

1. Youtube how to remove your grill and bumper!!! Then Do that and remember what goes where!!!

Front of Truck no Grill

Bumper Removed

2. Remove the Bumper mounting plates 3 Bolts ( so you can get your hand and tools into frame )

Tow Rings/ Inside Frame

3. There is a larger hole that I used Bar Steel drilled to 1/2in and the provided washer to make it stronger. It is right behind the tow ring and this is used for the front hole when mounting a front hitch to the truck ( thats following the instruction that Curt provides for the front hitch they designed for the truck )

Bar Steel for Hitch

Bar Steel For Hitch Painted

Inside frame for Front Hitch using Bar Steel as a flat washer

4. Use the bar steel, washer and bolt
5.Place the bolt from inside the frame down through the hole
6. With a friend place one of the hitch frame mounts up to the bolt using the front hole on the hitch and place a lock washer on the bolt then loosely place the nut on the bolt
7. Make sure its upside down then slide the center hitch bar onto the frame mount you just put on
8. Slide the other frame mount into the center bar and lift it up to the Bolt and loosely tighten the nut
9. What you have should look like this ( Below )

Rough Install of Hitch

Side View of front hitch

Front View of Front Hitch

Front Hitch

10. Place the bolts inside the center bar following the instructions but dont tighten!!! ( only use a bolt, lock washer, and nut they want you to tighten it so it crushes the steel and secures the hitch )
11. Take care to center the side frame rails and the center hitch bar also pull the hitch all the way to the front of the truck
12. Tighten the two bolts to secure the hitch in its final position TRIPLE CHECK TO MAKE SURE ITS RIGHT!!!!!!
13. With a 1/2 bit drill a hole into the frame using the rear froward hole as a guide see picture ( thats following the instruction that Curt provides for the front hitch they designed for the truck )

Side View of front hitch

14. With the provided fish wire put a washer on the bolt and screw it into the fish and pull it down through the hole from inside the frame

Inside Frame with both bolts for hitch in

15. Add lock washer and nut then tighten
16. Repeat 13,14, and 15 for the other side
17. Tighten all bolts to recommended torque
18. I covered everything with spray on bed-liner but thats up to you
19. Remove you license plate bracket ( mine was on with double sided tape )
20. With a friend lift the bumper to the mounting point and mark you cut points in the steel ( cut the square hole so there is still steel all the way around the hitch )
21. With a cut tool ..... cut it out
22. Cut the first layer of plastic out but dont go through the area you see yet
23. Re mount the bumper and adjust to the same place it was ( I used the washer marks as reference )
24. Drill a small hole into the plastic from the front of the bumper then continue to trim till your happy with the hole
25. I taped a small area off and sanded it down then covered the area with the spray on bed-liner
26. Put your truck back together and enjoy! ( this job took my friend and I about 6 hr )
Here are some more Pictures

Top View of Front Hitch

Top View of Front Hitch

Bumper and grill back on after installing front hitch

Front Hitch

Front Hitch with Winch

Edited by JasonAVGuy
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Nice write up and pics. Thank you for sharing. I would love to add a front hitch to my truck. I also would rather it didn't hang low like Curt's other offerings. Additionally, I do NOT want to drill my truck at all. Because of the no drilling for me. I will probably go with the Draw Tite one tha tis no drill. It has all the same specs as well. I really did like your very thorough write up though. When it comes time for me to get mine. If I am over the no drilling part I will most likely do what you did.

Thank you again

• 4 months later...

Any help would be great. I'm trying to find a front hitch that does not drop below the front air dam. My truck is low to start with and all the receivers I can find look like they drop below the dam. At some point I would like a front bumper for my winch but for now I like being able to move it between my trucks, van, and trailers. My other option is to build one but I feel a bolt on option would save a lot of time if one is out there. Also I'm just fine cutting into my bumper for one that will be higher.

I would love to do the same thing to my truck. Glad you posted this.

Nice write up and pics. Thank you for sharing. I would love to add a front hitch to my truck. I also would rather it didn't hang low like Curt's other offerings. Additionally, I do NOT want to drill my truck at all. Because of the no drilling for me. I will probably go with the Draw Tite one tha tis no drill. It has all the same specs as well. I really did like your very thorough write up though. When it comes time for me to get mine. If I am over the no drilling part I will most likely do what you did.

Thank you again

I'm with Wulf, would rather not have to drill, but since I was wanting one that can be "hidden," I knew I was going to have to at least cut it.

Damn thats pretty ****in clean looking. Pardon my french. Nice write up.

Other than the winch, what kind of stuff could you put in the front receiver? Just curious.

Outside of towing (pushing your trailer(s) back) and the winch, you can also install a snowplow on the receiver. I don't know of much else that can be done with it.

For those that live in "Two Tag States," like CA, there are prefabed license plate holder hitch covers out there. The only ones, that I have seen, are on etrailer.com and Amazon, all are between $45-$50.

• Like 1

If the front end is too low why not put a leveling kit or shocks on?

Sent from the future via a wifi time portal.

Not that it sits too low, it's that the front receiver lowers your ground clearance. So everyone is looking for a front receiver that sits up higher. Some/Most of us already have added suspension and leveling kits installed, doesn't give us the ground clearance that we are looking for, in most cases.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn thats pretty ****in clean looking. Pardon my french. Nice write up.

Other than the winch, what kind of stuff could you put in the front receiver? Just curious.

Sorry its taken awhile for a response but as another user mentioned about two tag states I put a push bar/ plate holder with led on it when im not using the winch. Other things I have used it for are bikes, cargo, and moving my camper around with ease.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Do you think it could be modified so it comes out at the top of the air dam (with trimming)? I really don't want to lose the front plate.

See my post/comment from 14 April.