fuel guage goes way beyond full at start up

cashflow50

Question

2003 GMC Yukon V8 SLE

When I start my yuke, the fuel guage jumps way past and beyond the full mark to about where the gas pump picture is at on the dash cluster (see attached photo). Sometimes during my commute from house to store, to another store, then back home, guage goes back to a normal reading. What is causing this intemittent reading on my fuel guage? Please help. Thanks.

post-15864-0-22349600-1446756831.jpg

15 answers to this question

I hope this not a stupid question but, Is the fuel level sensor and sending unit the same thing? And where are they located in the means of in the tank or on the tank? Be nice guys. noob here and dont want to bring yuke to the stealership. Thanks again.

It's not bad info - it's a fact. Working on cars today SUCKS. You still a mechanic, Mike? Not many stay in it for life like they did back in the day.

Doable? Sure - any problem on any car is fixable. Fun? F*** no!

In case your reading comprehension sucks just as bad, MY problem is a short due to rodents - not his.

No. I only worked in the shop for a little over two years. And working on cars today is FAR better than it was in times past. I'd rather chase electrical faults any day over a pinhole vacuum leak in the miles of vacuum tubing older cars had. Never mind that cars today are far more reliable than cars in the past.

Sensor, sending unit - same thing. Out west they called an adjustable wrench a crescent wrench - out here, we call it an adjustable. Petrol in England ... gasoline in the USA. Different strokes for different folks.

Genuine GM is mostly made in china these days, so an aftermarket sender will be a better, cheaper alternative.

Who leaves the vacuum lines? That was the first thing we ripped out of those cars. All that stuff got tossed in the trash where it belongs.

Since you think these vehicles are so great, I'll sell you my truck for $18k.

Nothing is easy on a modern auto. Even spark plugs are a pain in the ass these days ... :nonod:

My '89 S10 Blazer started doing this after it sat out back for a couple months. I suspect a short caused by rodents.

Almost certainly a bad sending unit. You will have to drop the tank, but that's the same as pretty much every full frame SUV ever made so don't let the bad info about working on on new vehicles above dissuade you.

Tom, anything is better than paying $110/hour PLUS at a GM dealer ...

It's not bad info - it's a fact. Working on cars today SUCKS. You still a mechanic, Mike? Not many stay in it for life like they did back in the day.

Doable? Sure - any problem on any car is fixable. Fun? F*** no!

In case your reading comprehension sucks just as bad, MY problem is a short due to rodents - not his.

Archived