Are the Headlights Dim In Your '14 or '15 Sierra? Read On

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-20540600-1447077907.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
11/09/2015

Do you find that the headlights in your 2014 or 2015 GMC Sierra are too dim at night? Two others owners found they were and have sued GM. CarCompliants.com reports that it has received complaints about the issue from other owners as well. The two owners that sued laid out a pretty interesting case. They say the GMC 9012 halogen single filament bulb design is not bright enough for safety. Prior to that new design the truck used a total of three bulbs; A H11LL bulb for the low beams, a 9005LL bulb for the high beams and a 5202 bulb for the fog lights To see all the details, check out the story at CarComplaints here.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as they knew there was an issue (hence the bulb upgrades) the lighting was designed to the FMVSS lighting standards, so "technically" there would be no rules broken however, I can sense a special policy fix coming out for this. As for the lawsuit, what the heck does the guy want? A bazillion dollars? I can see maybe his $$$ back for the light assembly he bought, and a bit more.

The plaintiffs say General Motors used a moving shield to alternatively project a low- or high-beam from the 9012 bulb that can leave drivers blind trying to drive at night.

Uh...lots of lights use "shields"...they are called projector lamps (in this case a single bulb projector). Not all projectors (Silverado LTZ and all HD) are single bulb, but a split setup,

The fact they (Silverado and Sierra) went HID on 1500 tells you they knew that lighting may have been up to safety standards but at poor performance.

There's a bulletin on dim lights....

2014 GMC Truck Sierra 1500 - 4WD | Cheyenne, Sierra, Silverado 1500 Service Manual 5565479 | Document ID: 4214702
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIT5374B: Headlight Performance (BCM Calibration and Bulbs) - (Jun 15, 2015)
Subject: Headlight Performance (BCM Calibration and Bulbs)

Models: 2015 GMC Sierra
2014 GMC Sierra 1500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to add a note and diagnostic tips. Please discard PIT5374A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment of poor headlight performance when driving in very dark rural areas. While the headlights meet all FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) requirements and CMVSS (Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard) requirements, customers may request better headlight performance for these very dark rural areas.

Recommendation/Instructions
When addressing headlight performance issues, normal diagnostics should be performed first. Verify that all headlights operate, headlight adjustment is correct, and that there is no headlight mounting damage or any issues with the lens itself being damaged/hazy/cloudy/etc. Repair any headlight issues first, and then, if an owner still has a complaint, perform the following repairs:

 1. For vehicles built before 12/23/14 at Flint Assembly (11th Vin Digit "F"), 1/13/15 at Silao Assembly (11th Vin Digit "G") or 1/16/15 at Ft. Wayne Assembly (11th Vin Digit "Z"), reprogram the BCM with the latest calibration available in TIS2WEB starting on 1/12/2015. The new BCM calibration will increase the voltage to the headlight bulbs in both the low beam and high beam selections. All vehicle build after the above dates already have the new BCM calibrations and the BCM reprogramming does NOT need to be done.
 2. Replace both headlight bulbs with updated bulb part number 23342527. IMPORTANT: Verify the correct bulb is being installed by confirming the following markings on the bulb:
Object ID: 4092123Click here for detailed picture of the image.

1. 28432

2. HIR2+30

Important: When installing the new headlight bulbs, do not touch the glass and pay close attention that the bulbs are fully seated into the headlight housing. If the bulb is not properly installed it can lead to an incorrect light pattern. A beam pattern photo with a properly installed bulb is shown below. This photo is of a GMC Sierra Low beam pattern (1 Lamp with opposite lamp blocked) on wall/aiming screen at 25 ft (7.62 m). Each block division is approximately 10.5" (26.67cm)

Object ID: 4092519Click here for detailed picture of the image.

 3. After bulb replacement, perform Headlamp Aiming procedure (see below)
Important: The replacement of the bulb along with the calibration change should ONLY be performed at the same time. Doing them as separate service visits may not show the overall desired effect to the customer. Performing these repairs at the same time will show a dramatic improvement.

-Headlamp Aiming Procedure
Headlamp aiming is done with the low beam lamps. The high beam lamps will be correctly aimed if the low beam lamps are aimed properly.

Screen Method for Headlamp Aiming (Visual Aim)

The screen method requires an area set up specifically for headlamp aim

The area should consist of a level surface large enough to allow for a vehicle and an additional 7.62 m (25 ft) as measured from the face of the headlamps to the aiming screen.

The screen should be a wall or other flat surface at least 1.52 m (5 ft) high by 3.66 m (12 ft) wide with a matte white surface well shaded from extraneous light, and 90 degrees to the floor. The screen should have one adjustable horizontal tape.

After the aiming screen has been set up and located:

 1. Position the vehicle directly in front of the screen or wall at a distance of 25 feet.
 2. Remove any snow, ice or mud from the vehicle.
 3. The vehicle should be fully assembled and all other work stopped while the headlamp aiming is being done.
 4. The vehicle should contain cargo or be loaded to represent normal vehicle use.
 5. Tires should be properly inflated.
 6. Rock the vehicle to stabilize the suspension.

 7. Measure from the floor to either headlamp reference mark
Note: If the reference mark (small circle) cannot be seen on the headlamp len, measure from the floor up to the center of the headlight projector eye ball.

 8. At the screen, measure from the floor and place the horizontal tape at the measured height. This establishes the Horizontal Aiming Line.
Object ID: 4092121Click here for detailed picture of the image.

Note: Floor must be level

1. 25 ft (7.62 m)

2. Height of Horizontal Aiming Line on screen

3. Aiming Screen or Wall

4. Reference mark (small circle) on headlamp lens

 9. Turn the headlamps ON.
10. Block the light from projecting onto the screen from the passenger side headlamp. This will allow the cutoff (“top” of the beam pattern) in the beam pattern from the driver’s side to be more pronounced for easier aim verification.
Important: DO NOT cover the headlamp, this may cause excessive heat buildup

11. On this vehicle you will be verifying the vertical aim of the cutoff (top of the beam pattern) on the right side of the “step” in the beam pattern.
12. If the vertical location of the cutoff projected onto the screen or wall differs from the figure below, then an adjustment to the beam pattern location is necessary.
Object ID: 4092365Click here for detailed picture of the image.

Note: GMC Sierra Low beam pattern (1 Lamp) on wall/aiming screen at 25 ft (7.62 m)

1. Horizontal Aiming Line

2. Reference line only, Not needed for proper aiming

3. Step in beam pattern

4. Top of beam pattern (cutoff line) positioned at the horizontal aiming line +0 / -0.75" (-19mm)

13. Adjust the vertical headlamp aim adjustment screw until the cutoff (top of the beam pattern) on the right side of the beam pattern step is set between the Horizontal Aim Line and 0.75 (19mm)inches below.
14. Repeat the aiming procedure for the passenger’s side headlamp while blocking the light from projecting onto the screen from the driver’s side headlamp.
Diagnostic Tips for outside ambient temperature showing either dashes "--" or inaccurate, if BCM program was needed:
– If the outside temperature will not update and is displaying an inaccurate temperature, example 32° F (0° C), Please reference to the latest version of PIT5232 - Subject: Diagnostic Tip - Outside Temperature Will Not Update.
– If the outside temperature is displaying dashes "--" and the truck is an early built 2015i (RPO AVF = 2015i mid year change) equipped with 6.6L diesel engine (RPO LML) built before 12/14/14, Please reference the latest version of PIT5365 - Diagnostic Tips Ambient Temperature Display / Information (Topology). The IPC will also need to be programmed with the latest calibrations available in TIS2WEB, due to a change in the outside temperature topology after the BCM is updated with the latest calibrations in TIS2WEB.
Parts Information
Part Number
Description
Qty

Headlight Bulb

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

2080428*
Replace Both Headlamp Bulbs And Aim Headlamps
0.8 hr

Add
Reprogram the BCM (Only needed on vehicles built prior to date codes listed in the PI)
0.5 hr

* This is an unique labor operation for bulletin use only. This will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2015 General Motors. All rights reserved.

From the linked story......

"Ruelas eventually traded the 2014 Sierra for a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 thinking GM must have fixed the headlight problems in the 2015 model. However, the plaintiff says the 2015 Sierra 1500 headlights are no better than the headlights in the 2014 Sierra 1500."

So he bought a MY2015 without test driving it at night to see if it had brighter output compared to his MY2014?

ZERO sympathy for the guy.

I'm scheduled for friday to see. I found out my truck was built after the date and should already have the BCM updated but the dealers going to check the bulbs and see if they're the updated ones or older ones.

The upgrade helps a bit... but for the money we paid for these trucks we shouldnt be having these isues. Would love to go with hids or somthing but with the sle headlights they would be on all day and people would be flashing me non stop.

I have '14 sle sierra with HID's and they are dimmer than my '99 BMW with HID's. Then I had my windshield tinted to 40% that made things tricky. I have to run my fog lights all the time at night to help. I may change the bulbs or or the whole unit at some point, but I'm leaving them stock for a while longer.

I got the new bulbs too, and believe they are better. But low beam is so focused, i feel like I can't see as well as previous gen's too. There's a distinct line of light on low beam and no disbursement of light that it makes you feel like you can't see as well. My wife has a 2010 Equinox and her lights are not as focused nor are they as bright, but on low beam, I feel like I can see better with hers than mine.

This is also on the '14 Silverado's. I talked to the dealer about this a few times and as of now, they know nothing about it. I even replaced the bulbs with the sylvania's X and no difference. My high beams are as bright as my low beams were on my '10 1500 and the low beams are about as bright as the fog lights.

This isn't just a Sierria issue, it's also an issue with the silverado's

Archived