3.08 to 4.56 Gear swap?

I have a '14 Silverado Z71 with the factory 3.08 ratio. I'm wanting to get 4.56 gears. I am currently running 35s. I drive a good 800 mile trip every month because I work out of state. Thing is, I don't know what to order. I know I'll need a new carrier, but will I be able to keep my factory posi track? And what's a good brand that won't devour my wallet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a thread on here stating what you'll need to order. Do you have the 6.2 or 5.3?

I'd go with Yukon gears and carrier, best on the market IMO

I have the 5.3.

I just did this swap.... but wait

... in an 1986 Blazer lol. I don't even want to really regear my 2015 as its fine as it sits but I want a Detroit Locker for the rear. ... but of course this stupid 9.76" rear end still has no aftermarket.

Sent from a potato

Yukon gears are a favorite. I have never personally used them, but in any regear thread their name always comes up.

I'll most likely end up getting Yukon. That is if I don't have to buy a new limited slip posi trak assembly.

I'll most likely end up getting Yukon. That is if I don't have to buy a new limited slip posi trak assembly.

I think you should be able to reuse your G80. Call up the folks at Yukon, I bet they can clarify.

I just did this swap.... but wait

... in an 1986 Blazer lol. I don't even want to really regear my 2015 as its fine as it sits but I want a Detroit Locker for the rear. ... but of course this stupid 9.76" rear end still has no aftermarket.

Sent from a potato

I like how mine sits as well, but 35s with a 3.08 literally means my transmission doesn't know it has a 6th gear and I barely see 5th. Lol

From what i have read so far if you have the 3.08s you will need a new carrier for the front i think. Ill dig up where i saw that but i got a quote for $1800 front and rear for 4.10s from 3.08s i also have a 5.3 on 33s and may go to 35s later on

As of earlier this year, Yukon has NOT come out with gears for the new 14 bolt rear ends. With that being said, there is another option, but you won't be too happy.

You'll have to order the older 14 bolt 9.5" gearset and get a new locker/ posi unit. Not only that, you would have to get a new yoke attachment, and i wanna say new axles as well. Since the bearings have low miles on them they can pull those and reuse them but then you'll need a pinion seal that matches the new yoke.

I will add the stock G80 carrier is junk, this gives you an excuse to buy something a lot better, cause you have to lol

I like how mine sits as well, but 35s with a 3.08 literally means my transmission doesn't know it has a 6th gear and I barely see 5th. Lol

No you need gears lol.... my Blazer was the same thing but just has 33's on it. I added a Tru Trac to the front diff and Detroit Locker in the rear while doing the 4.56 swap. My 2015 sits on stock size rubber at stock height and pulls great with the 3.23s and the 8 speed. But it needs a better form of locker in the back because that archaic gov lock has been a pos since eaton started supplying gm with it in 1973.

The aftermarket needs to build carriers for these trucks already.

Sent from a potato

As of earlier this year, Yukon has NOT come out with gears for the new 14 bolt rear ends. With that being said, there is another option, but you won't be too happy.

You'll have to order the older 14 bolt 9.5" gearset and get a new locker/ posi unit. Not only that, you would have to get a new yoke attachment, and i wanna say new axles as well. Since the bearings have low miles on them they can pull those and reuse them but then you'll need a pinion seal that matches the new yoke.

I will add the stock G80 carrier is junk, this gives you an excuse to buy something a lot better, cause you have to lol

So how stitches will my bank account need after all that.. Lol

I got priced for 900 front and back but that's just labor. He said since there are so many brands out there that I could just order the stuff myself.

So how stitches will my bank account need after all that.. Lol

I got priced for 900 front and back but that's just labor. He said since there are so many brands out there that I could just order the stuff myself.

I was charged $350 an axle (labor only) on my 02 plus supplies and taxes. I think mine was $830 out the door. If you wait, I'm sure in the next year or so Yukon will have direct replacement gear sets. Im sure they're in product development by now. If you look at how many newer lifted trucks there are, most of them are part of the GM family. They know they're losing out on money right now, but from what I've seen no one else has gear sets out either

Archived