2015 Yukon SLT 3rd row does not fold completely flat

The power third row seats in my 2015 Yukon do not fold flat and level as advertised. Most things will roll right out of the back when the tailgate opens (I thought that is why they included the cargo net!). On another forum I read that some owners have had the problem corrected at their dealer - something about a bolt being in the wrong position. Has anyone else had this issue?

When my fold flat buttons are pressed, the front of the seat bottom moves up so when the back of the seat comes down it lays on an already angled bottom. The only way my seat will lay flat is if the seat bottom does not angle up, I don't think in my case a bolt is in the wrong position. I noticed this with all my seats on the 2nd and 3rd rows power bench.

I have the same problem with our 2015 Suburban LTZ. The dealership replaced the seat foam and seat cover. It did not help. All the issues we have with this vehicle has not been fixed. Don't look for GM to help you. I'm looking into a class action suite. To pay this much for a vehicle and NOT get the service you want is discusting. And the dealership could care less. They got there money. Good luck

• 2 years later...

How do you get the seat bottom to angle flat as noted in the post by the Zip? I just purchased a 2017 Yukon SLT. Just as everyone's posts say, when the 3rd row power seats are folded down as flat as the electric motor allows they are nowhere nearly as flat as GMC's nice little color brochure pictures portray. In reality, the right or passenger side third row seat back folds down much flatter than the drivers side but the passenger side is still by no means flat. And the drivers side seat back of the split bench is 6-8" less flat than passenger side. I've checked and made positively certain that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING  laying around blocking full travel of the seat backs. What is the problem and what if anything can I do to make this things lay flat?

2 minutes ago, don447 said:

How do you get the seat bottom to angle flat as noted in the post by the Zip? I just purchased a 2017 Yukon SLT. Just as everyone's posts say, when the 3rd row power seats are folded down as flat as the electric motor allows they are nowhere nearly as flat as GMC's nice little color brochure pictures portray. In reality, the right or passenger side third row seat back folds down much flatter than the drivers side but the passenger side is still by no means flat. And the drivers side seat back of the split bench is 6-8" less flat than passenger side. I've checked and made positively certain that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING  laying around blocking full travel of the seat backs. What is the problem and what if anything can I do to make this things lay flat?

Same issue on my 2017 Yukon Denali - most of the time the driver's side will not be as flat as the passenger side.  I too looked for obstruction, etc. - found nothing.  If I cycle the electric folding mechanism a couple of times the driver side will eventually lay flat.  If I can duplicate it I'll have dealer address at next visit.

On 1/27/2018 at 9:11 AM, don447 said:

How do you get the seat bottom to angle flat as noted in the post by the Zip?

What is the problem and what if anything can I do to make this things lay flat?

This is an old thread, but I believe you misread my post.  The seats didn't lay flat when I made the post and according to you, still don't lay flat today.  The mechanics of what it takes the seats to fold will not allow them to fold flat.  The passenger side lays flatter than the driver's side, maybe because of a smaller seat (60/40 split).

Nothing can be done to get these seats to lay flat.  When the fold flat buttons are pressed the front of the "seat bottom" lifts and slides to the back at an angle, and remains at that angle when mated with the "seat back".  This movement will never allow the seat to be flat.  

Edited by The Zip

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to get this issue resolved?  This 3rd row is advertised as lay flat can we make the fix or replace? I have to have this 3rd row lay flat! in the beginning I tought that because it was new it just needed to settle but it hasn't and the dealer is saying I'm stuck with it and if that's the case I just flushed $60,000 cash down the toilet and makes my 2017 Yukon XL useless because I can't put the dogs crates in it and I dog train 2 x a week when the dogs are in the crates they are at an angle and they slide all the way down to the gate. I believe this issue would qualify as a defect. GM needs to do something about it.

What found that helped with my 2017 Yukon was to FIRST fold and tumble the 2nd row seats out of the way. Then fold down the two 3rd row seats.  I did the left, then right. The I put the 2nd row seats back to normal. For Me the rear then laid much flatter

Did you try to get the dealer to fix it? My truck is at the dealership right now. I just feel that it should corrected and laying flatter is not acceptable for me they have to be flat for my dogs that’s why I bought the Yukon XL I needed seating and enough cargo space  for 2 crates that measure 42 x 21 x 30 

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old issue but it hasn’t been fixed yet. It annoys the crap out of me that these don’t lay flat on my 2018 Tahoe Premier. I traded my 2015 Tahoe LTZ for this 2018 one last year and could tell right away the seats looked odd, especially since my 2015 3rd row laid PERFECTLY FLAT. Why would they change that??? Things are supposed to get better, not worse. Right?

Anyway, just venting a little but also reaching out to see if anyone has come across a fix out there. Thanks for reading!

That’s such BS! How can some vehicles lay flat and some can’t, it doesn’t make any sense to me. The bottom line is that since there isn’t any money for them in it, they can’t justify spending their time. Plus, most of the techs can only handle (or are only comfortable handling) what’s in writing in their service manuals. Oh well, it’s me venting  again... I’ll let you know if I come across anything else.