Z71 vs standard shocks

The only difference with the Z71 suspension vs a regular 4x4 is rancho shocks. If you look up the front suspension parts they are all the same except the shocks.

They don't even use the same parts in the stock suspensions....some have aluminum control arms and some have steel.....and there is a lot more to the suspension than front end parts....Eaton locker, rear end ratio, different tires/wheel specs.......different number rear leaf springs used in many '16s.........essentially everything between one's a$$ and the pavement is a part of the suspension and the shocks are only one piece in the whole of the puzzle......and how about where there are no parts for direct comparison, i.e. software controlling the electric steering assist, alignment specs.

Doesn't much matter because the whole matter is subjective - personally I preferred and chose the Z71 over the standard ride which is a bit rougher but provides more of a road feel; it's just fine as-is with the current combination of parts....... the Silverado doesn't need Bilsteins or anything else for a stiffer ride. I had Bilsteins as stock on my Z71 Avalanches where you did need them to counter the soft riding coil spring/welded bed setup and wouldn't want the Ranchos on the Avalanches any more than the Bilsteins on the Silverado.

Will the Ranchos wear out sooner?.... won't matter, I'll be in a '19 by then.

Edited by Thomcat

I

They don't even use the same parts in the stock suspensions....some havel.. aluminum control arms and some have steel...and there is a lot more to the suspension than front end parts....Eaton locker, rear end ratio, different tires/wheel specs.......different number rear leaf springs used in many '16s.........essentially everything between one's a$$ and the pavement is a part of the suspension and the shocks are only one piece in the whole of the puzzle......and how about where there are no parts for direct comparison, i.e. software controlling the electric steering assist, alignment specs.

Doesn't much matter because the whole matter is subjective - personally I preferred and chose the Z71 over the standard ride which is a bit rougher but provides more of a road feel; it's just fine as-is with the current combination of parts....... the Silverado doesn't need Bilsteins or anything else for a stiffer ride. I had Bilsteins as stock on my Z71 Avalanches where you did need them to counter the soft riding coil spring/welded bed setup and wouldn't want the Ranchos on the Avalanches any more than the Bilsteins on the Silverado.

Will the Ranchos wear out sooner?.... won't matter, I'll be in a '19 by then.

I know some have aluminum control arms, knuckles and some have steel. I was referring to the front suspension parts that control the ride (coil springs) and they are the same other than shocks. All your getting in the Z71 package is rancho shocks, a transfer case shield,hill descent control, high capacity air cleaner and a Z71 badge that was a $430.00 option on my truck. This is the first GM truck I have owned since a 1995 silverado I purchased new and will be the last. I will be moving back to a F150 or Tundra soon.

Edited by southern_sierra
  • Like 1

Does swapping out the shocks void your warranty or risk the chance of coverage if something happens?

Just swapping shocks for the same size that is on it will not void your warranty but going to a leveling type of shock would cause some warranty issues.

• Like 1

I

I know some have aluminum control arms, knuckles and some have steel. I was referring to the front suspension parts that control the ride (coil springs) and they are the same other than shocks. All your getting in the Z71 package is rancho shocks, a transfer case shield,hill descent control, high capacity air cleaner and a Z71 badge that was a $430.00 option on my truck. This is the first GM truck I have owned since a 1995 silverado I purchased new and will be the last. I will be moving back to a F150 or Tundra soon.

My .02 - Maybe that's because what is contained in your Z71 package and maybe that is all that was offered on older Z71 trucks. There is no Z71 "package" on the '16s, i.e a Z71 option package added to base models. The 2016s do not offer a Z71 package on base models but rather additional features incorporated within two separate model variants available only in LT and LTZ trims and not available in 2WD , LS or WT models. And these variants do not have $430 in upgrades but an additional $1,910 in the LT-Z71 and $1,165 on the LTZ-Z71 (because the stock LTZ contains some of the LT-Z71 upgrades).

As indicated on the Chevy website, the standard '16 Z71s contain different shocks, Z71 off road suspension, different leaf springs, Eaton locker rear end w/different gear ratio, 2 spd. transfer case, larger wheels, aggressive A/T tires, tow hooks, LED fogs, under belly protection, branding crap, and appearance items (and likely software calibrations to modify the ride and steering assist) for the extra $1,500 over the older Z71 add on "package". Simply check out the window stickers on the Z71 variants lists two separate line item features under standard mechanical equipment heading "Z71 Off Road Suspension" and "Monotube Rancho Brand shocks". All it takes is a test ride in a base LT or LTZ vs the Z71 variants to convince one that the ride and handling is definitely different......I test rode plenty until I found the pick of the litter...and the difference between the ride and handling in the Z vs. non-Z models ain't just in the shocks.

My .02 - Maybe that's because what is contained in your Z71 package and maybe that is all that was offered on older Z71 trucks. There is no Z71 "package" on the '16s, i.e a Z71 option package added to base models. The 2016s do not offer a Z71 package on base models but rather additional features incorporated within two separate model variants available only in LT and LTZ trims and not available in 2WD , LS or WT models. And these variants do not have $430 in upgrades but an additional $1,910 in the LT-Z71 and $1,165 on the LTZ-Z71 (because the stock LTZ contains some of the LT-Z71 upgrades).

As indicated on the Chevy website, the standard '16 Z71s contain different shocks, Z71 off road suspension, different leaf springs, Eaton locker rear end w/different gear ratio, 2 spd. transfer case, larger wheels, aggressive A/T tires, tow hooks, LED fogs, under belly protection, branding crap, and appearance items (and likely software calibrations to modify the ride and steering assist) for the extra $1,500 over the older Z71 add on "package". Simply check out the window stickers on the Z71 variants lists two separate line item features under standard mechanical equipment heading "Z71 Off Road Suspension" and "Monotube Rancho Brand shocks". All it takes is a test ride in a base LT or LTZ vs the Z71 variants to convince one that the ride and handling is definitely different......I test rode plenty until I found the pick of the litter...and the difference between the ride and handling in the Z vs. non-Z models ain't just in the shocks.

so is the 16 z71 package different from the 15 z71?

I have already had a rear Rancho replaced under warranty, it leaked all over my driveway, truck is 6 months old with less then 10,000km's on it, they are junk.

• Like 1

I don't know what kind of shocks were on my 06z71. but they were still on it when I sold it. 9 years old with 108,000 miles. And believe it or not it still rode good. They were red and black.

I'm curious to know who here has actually cut open a Rancho and stock shock to compare. I'm guessing nobody. I've never had any issues with any rancho product. Probably had 15 years experience with them as well. Nobody here even has proof that there not a standard Rancho shock but lots of people think there a cheaper version of there base model which I do not believe. Some people love to just spread rumors. A basic Rancho is not expensive I'm sure GM gets a great deal on them and I doubt Rancho is making a whole separate version for GM. But who knows. Either way my Z71 rides great.

Edited by 2004lebanshee