Purchased 2016 Sierra 1500

I have been reading posts on this forum for the past several weeks and wanted to offer information, answers and feedback for members who want to know more about the 2016 GMC Sierra.

Truck is the SLT package Crew Cab, Short Box with the new 5.3L 8-speed transmission and 3.42 gear axle ratio. Will post a picture soon but wanted to start a thread for those looking for answers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK Apologies for the short post to start this topic. Here is more information and detail regarding my previous truck and the new model. Lot's of info here so forgive the long read.

I purchased a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 pick up in April of this year when my 2007 Ford F150 starting having issues and i made the decision to not spend any more money on it. It was also an SLT with 5.3L 6 Speed tranny, 4X4 with Z71 package. I had issues with the "clunk", "downshift" and overall lackluster performance almost since the very beginning. Took the truck in twice (before they released the recall) and again reading this forum and had them perform the recall as well as reset the shift points, balance the tires and perform multiple "checks" on the truck. After some convincing the dealership worked with me and we started down the road to a replacement vehicle. I drove the 2500 model (both 6.0 gas and 6.6 duramax) and a couple of 6.2L models which I decided would be the best option for me at this time. The problem/challenge was finding one that had the packages in a color I wanted (Iridium) that would deal a trade with my dealership. After weeks of searching and discussing I was ready to "settle" on 2015 6.2L in a color i did not want with options I was not really looking for and started working the deal. Dealership gave me what i needed on a "trade" and found me some rebates but I still felt like i was settling and was not at full peace with the situation.

Then once November hit they got a few 2016 models and they had one that happened to be and SLT in the color i wanted but with the 5.3L new 8 speed transmission. It drove close enough to the 2015 6.2L models and I was ready to be done so worked a deal that we both could live with and made the switch.

Details/upgrades and differences on the 2016 model -

- New LED headlights are a big improvement over the 2015 models and include an automatic hi/low option

- 20 inch chrome clad wheels (new option i had never seen before) were a disappointing change from the aluminum wheels i had but have grown on me

- Apple car play adds some interesting features

- 8 Speed transmission is something i am still getting used to but driving experience is very close to the 6.2L models i tested. It is still "learning" but I can tell you that the lower gears have much more pep than my 2015 that would often get "lost" between 1st and 3rd especially when operating at lower speeds.

- 2016's no longer have the recording device in the radio that lets you pause or rewind

- New wireless phone charging station on the center console works with android phones only however i have been told there is something i can purchase to make it work with my iPhone

- Cooled front seats have been improved and no longer just "suck" the air out and blow it out of the back of the seat. It has not been hot enough yet to really test them out yet but the big bulky mechanism on the back of the seat is not present anymore.

- Lane departure safety system is something i did not have before and takes some getting used to

Something I did to try and help the system "learn" my driving habits is drive it in manual mode shifting when i wanted it to vs. the early and low RPM shift points that seemed to plague my 2015 truck. Not sure if this will help but figured it was worth a shot. I also drove all of the gas out of the first tank the dealership gave me and filled up with 93 octane last night to see if that makes any difference. Will post more info after this next tank.

Other truck details -

SLT with Z71 4X4 in Iridium with Cocoa/Dune interior, 20 inch chrome clad wheels (6 spoke), bed protection package and 6 inch running boards. Also have a roll-n-lock bed cover (transplanted from my 2015)

Promise to post pictures as soon as it stops raining down here in Texas....

OK Apologies for the short post to start this topic. Here is more information and detail regarding my previous truck and the new model. Lot's of info here so forgive the long read.

I purchased a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 pick up in April of this year when my 2007 Ford F150 starting having issues and i made the decision to not spend any more money on it. It was also an SLT with 5.3L 6 Speed tranny, 4X4 with Z71 package. I had issues with the "clunk", "downshift" and overall lackluster performance almost since the very beginning. Took the truck in twice (before they released the recall) and again reading this forum and had them perform the recall as well as reset the shift points, balance the tires and perform multiple "checks" on the truck. After some convincing the dealership worked with me and we started down the road to a replacement vehicle. I drove the 2500 model (both 6.0 gas and 6.6 duramax) and a couple of 6.2L models which I decided would be the best option for me at this time. The problem/challenge was finding one that had the packages in a color I wanted (Iridium) that would deal a trade with my dealership. After weeks of searching and discussing I was ready to "settle" on 2015 6.2L in a color i did not want with options I was not really looking for and started working the deal. Dealership gave me what i needed on a "trade" and found me some rebates but I still felt like i was settling and was not at full peace with the situation.

Then once November hit they got a few 2016 models and they had one that happened to be and SLT in the color i wanted but with the 5.3L new 8 speed transmission. It drove close enough to the 2015 6.2L models and I was ready to be done so worked a deal that we both could live with and made the switch.

Details/upgrades and differences on the 2016 model -

- New LED headlights are a big improvement over the 2015 models and include an automatic hi/low option

- 20 inch chrome clad wheels (new option i had never seen before) were a disappointing change from the aluminum wheels i had but have grown on me

- Apple car play adds some interesting features

- 8 Speed transmission is something i am still getting used to but driving experience is very close to the 6.2L models i tested. It is still "learning" but I can tell you that the lower gears have much more pep than my 2015 that would often get "lost" between 1st and 3rd especially when operating at lower speeds.

- 2016's no longer have the recording device in the radio that lets you pause or rewind

- New wireless phone charging station on the center console works with android phones only however i have been told there is something i can purchase to make it work with my iPhone

- Cooled front seats have been improved and no longer just "suck" the air out and blow it out of the back of the seat. It has not been hot enough yet to really test them out yet but the big bulky mechanism on the back of the seat is not present anymore.

- Lane departure safety system is something i did not have before and takes some getting used to

Something I did to try and help the system "learn" my driving habits is drive it in manual mode shifting when i wanted it to vs. the early and low RPM shift points that seemed to plague my 2015 truck. Not sure if this will help but figured it was worth a shot. I also drove all of the gas out of the first tank the dealership gave me and filled up with 93 octane last night to see if that makes any difference. Will post more info after this next tank.

Other truck details -

SLT with Z71 4X4 in Iridium with Cocoa/Dune interior, 20 inch chrome clad wheels (6 spoke), bed protection package and 6 inch running boards. Also have a roll-n-lock bed cover (transplanted from my 2015)

Promise to post pictures as soon as it stops raining down here in Texas....

Sweet....can't wait to see the pics

So with all the improvements, they got rid of the ability to pause and rewind live radio? Strange.

Stop!!

I always thought it was gimmicky anyway, now I actually use it once in a while lmao, But don't you dare try and figure anything there doing out LMAO now back to the beauty of a truck..

Tinman, congrats on the new truck. Did GM offer you a "buyback" or did you work a trade with your dealer? Sounds like a nice truck. Hope they have all of the 2015 problems worked out.

I am not completely familiar with a "buyback" so not sure if how accurate my answer will be but here are the deal details.

Dealer gave me around $3,600 off MSRP plus an additional $2,500 in "rebates" from GMC because of the issues with my 2015.

Also got $41K trade value for my 2015 with 6,500 miles

So with all the improvements, they got rid of the ability to pause and rewind live radio? Strange.

The dealership claimed that the recording device caused the radio interface to have software delays and did not feel like enough people used the pause or rewind functions to justify the slow response to inputs.

Archived