I'm thinking of a semi-auto rifle. There's a mini 14 in my safe somewhere. Thinking about a .308.

What's your thoughts on the AR types vs the M1A types? Any discussion on brands and mods is appreciated.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both guns shoot well, they are reliable (depending on manufacturer), and can both be customized to your liking.

I like to keep my semi-auto rifles very similar in how they are setup and where the controls are for each.

Based on that, I would recommend the M1A over the AR in your case if you are already familiar with the operation of the mini14. With the AR, it's totally different control wise and you would have to learn brand new techniques because they are different between the two.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

My only issue with a M1A Socom or Scout is the forward scope position. I know there's a receiver side mount available, but wonder if there's any disadvantage for clearing malfunctions.

My only issue with a M1A Socom or Scout is the forward scope position. I know there's a receiver side mount available, but wonder if there's any disadvantage for clearing malfunctions.

The ones I've seen just have the rail extend to the rear similar to how it would on a bolt rifle. I don't think it'd be an issue, but I'd want to handle one first.

The Christensen CA-10 is an interesting gun. 7.8 lbs 1 MOA guarantee, Timney trigger, carbon wrapped barrel, carbon floated hand guard. Its a direct impingement gas system. I'd prefer a piston, but it's not a deal breaker.

• 1 month later...

Each person has their particular likes and dislikes with some history behind it. I am solidly in the M1A camp. I dearly liked the M-14 when I was in the Army and just despised the M-16 platform, so an AR-10 would not work for me either. Has to be a good reason that the government yanked the last remaining M-14's out of mothballs, modified them a little with new style flash suppressors and such, and handed them out to some folks in the M.E. wars we have been in. They just plain get the job done and are so darn reliable in the worst of conditions. Obviously, the M-16 platform and the variants over the years have a long track record and many like them. But it is those initial impressions that can really skew things for people's likes and dislikes. And my impressions of the M-16 when the pressure was on permanently set my mind against them. I know that cartridge powder was changed and some other little things that helped with reliability, but the damage was done in my mind. I just don't trust it and never will.

• 2 weeks later...

The Christensen CA-10 is an interesting gun. 7.8 lbs 1 MOA guarantee, Timney trigger, carbon wrapped barrel, carbon floated hand guard. Its a direct impingement gas system. I'd prefer a piston, but it's not a deal breaker.

For that price you can build exactly what you want with far better parts. Christensen has very mixed reviews and most are negative, but I have never owned one and the only carbon wrap barrel I trust is proof research.

You could look at Mega for the lower upper/lower receiver set. Lilja and Kreiger both finish their barrels to drop in and are phenomenal barrel makers. You could also have a smith spin you up a custom barrel from any of the top tier barrel makers. The last time I priced out a complete DPMS pattern rifle it was about 2500 with top quality parts.

I have an M1A and it's a fine rifle. Had to remove the stripper clip guide to add the scope mount and I don't think the scope mount is very secure in the way it's designed. I still have it though but I don't shoot it much.

I had 2 dpms .308 ar's and either one would shoot an inch at 100 yds. Sold or traded both though because:

I bought a scar 17 and I consider it the finest rifle I own. While it's not an inch at 100 yds rifle, I don't need that kind of accuracy.

308 is a good round ammo is easy to get anywhere we have Smith & Wesson M&P10 and a DPMS. Both we customized as other guys said the triggers are just awful from the factory. I put a Timeny in one and Wilson Combat in the other. Holy Moly groups tightened up. There is a ton of different rounds to choose from so you can shoot what ever you want.

I have a PA-10 from Palmetto State Armory. For the money (~$1000), it's nice gun. It never wants to lock back on an empty magazine, but other than that it's been reliable after I put an adjustable gas block on.

So far it seems like about 2.5 MOA on a good day with XM80 ammo. I bought it for hunting and it's good enough for that. I have a feeling with the right load it will be much better, but no time to work one up.

Archived