From what I've read, LWRC & Adams are top 308 rifles

I'm not so sure about that statement. Do you have a link to a review done by a respected industry professional that says that?

Any link to reviews would be great to read and see who actually reviewed it and what they actually did with the rifle.

I ask because most gun magazines that do a "review" have these rifles for a very short time, fire maybe a couple hundred rounds and call it good, that's their MO.

Knights Armament, LMT, Noveske, LaRue Tactical & Daniel Defense would all be on my list of if I were in the market for another 7.62 NATO AR.

I would not even consider Adams Arms, they don't have the best track record for quality when it comes to a properly built AR.

I'm sure both brands you listed will serve you well but they're just not for me. Just because it's a brand you see in the gun magazines doesn't make it a top quality firearm.

Sent from my iPhone6

via TapaTalk

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On OP's original question; it depends....

The M14/1A rifle is a proven and reliable box magazine fed M1 Garand, (WWII) that most certainly is an old school platform but although heavy, it certainly works. Very reliable. But again, heavy...
Receiver and stock interface is it's weakness from a precision rifle standpoint, other than double lugged receivers and stock systems line SAGE, it's a more difficult system to maintain for accuracy than an AR10 style rifle. Costly, too.

The AR10 / 7.62 NATO AR platform has enjoyed great popularity of late because of ease of modularity, and recent development by the great companies listed above by BlackZ71Silverado..... (DD, Larue, Lewis Machine, etc)
Initially, Armalight's AR 10 was a troubled and underdeveloped device that may have just been QC issues, but they were prevalent.

I Have both and have trained and utilized each and they both have advantages and down falls.
Both are heavy and large rifles, and it's simply a matter of preference but the trend is most certainly shifting to the AR10 platform.

HTH, DH

• 3 months later...

Through my experience in the Marine Corps with all different platforms I would personally choose the .308 or 7.62mm AR platform. Also depending on the use and money you want to spend Mossberg makes a MVP Light Chassis and Ruger makes a Precision Rifle that are AWESOME WEAPONS. That may not be what your looking for though being that they are more of a long range gun. A more conventional choice would be an Anderson, Stag Arms or a Colt.

While I haven't given up on the idea of a 308, I've put this on the back burner. I'm in the middle of some handgun training with my wife, which is burning ammo and $$ for gear at a steep rate.

• 1 month later...

This thread may be a little old but I figured I'd throw this in the mix as well. Barnes Precision Machine is based out of North Carolina and they have been machining parts for pretty much all of the big name AR platform manufacturers for quite some time. They started making their own rifles a few years back and I literally haven't heard anyone say anything bad about them and if they did, they had there issue resolved by Barnes. I personally have one of their AR-15's and it is a tack driver. The owner of Barnes has verbally told me on a facility tour that he guarantees his rifles to shoot sub-MOA. I can personally attest to his claim. I haven't found anything that doesn't shoot sub-MOA in my rifle out to 300 yards, factory or hand loads. I don't personally have one of their AR-10's yet but I will be ordering one in the next month or so. I have heard nothing but good things about the AR-10's as well. There are a couple guys at the local gun shop who have them and they swear they shoot sub-MOA out to 500 yards consistently.

Just figured I'd offer another quality brand firearm to the gun enthusiasts. Check them out at:

http://www.usamade-ar15parts.com/

Whenever you do decide to pick it back up spurshot, 308 AR. Nothing wrong with the M1A it's just 10x easier to find parts for an AR10.

Building an Aero 308 myself. Looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...

How about both? I've got an M1A Socom, and it's an excellent rifle. I like its compactness coupled with the power of the 7.62x51 cartridge.

At the same time, I was at my LGS a couple days ago, and they had an LMT .308 on the rack. What a solid piece of work. It was heavy and beefy. I guess when you run out of ammo, it can be used a club. If I had $2900.00 burning a hole in my pocket, I might be tempted.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a done deal guys. I stumbled onto a couple Christensen CA-10 DMRs in a LGS. I researched as best as possible on the net. Not many people on forums discussing them out there, likely due to the stiff price. But the few reviews I found were positive. One particular review was very thorough with over 500 rounds fired and use in the desert. They were tickled with the accuracy but not so crazy about the timney trigger.

It's in impound for another week. I'll post pix when I get it. It's a damn light gun compared to equally accurate all steel barreled rifles like the LWRC REPR.

Stock picture of it. Now for an optic....

chriscr15_zpsbufh51sh.jpg

I got it out of the CA impound yesterday. Still need to decide on optics.

DSC_0674%20cropped_zpswaxovmme.jpg

That's a nice looking gun man!!

What kind of shooting do you plan on doing with it? If target shooting, hunting, or long range shooting I would suggest looking at Night Force and Vortex (I don't include Leupold only because it is not as rugged as the Night Force and Vortex in my opinion. Still it is a great quality scope just doesn't handle getting beat and banged as well as the other two), unless of course you want to splurge and go with something like Swarovski or Schmidt and Bender. I just mounted a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP scope on mine and I have to say I've looked through mid-level all the way to the top and really for the money there is not much difference that I can see until you get into the $2500 and up range.

I just re-read you other post about this gun where people were saying they were not crazy about the trigger. I know there are a lot of good triggers out there but I have only felt a few and by far the best one that I have felt is the one that came with my rifle. It is a single stage Hyperfine 24e trigger that has user adjustable springs to adjust the pull weights from 2-4 lbs. I have mine installed with the 2 lb springs and it is very smooth with a crisp break.

That's a nice looking gun man!!

What kind of shooting do you plan on doing with it? If target shooting, hunting, or long range shooting I would suggest looking at Night Force and Vortex (I don't include Leupold only because it is not as rugged as the Night Force and Vortex in my opinion. Still it is a great quality scope just doesn't handle getting beat and banged as well as the other two), unless of course you want to splurge and go with something like Swarovski or Schmidt and Bender. I just mounted a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm FFP scope on mine and I have to say I've looked through mid-level all the way to the top and really for the money there is not much difference that I can see until you get into the $2500 and up range.

I just re-read you other post about this gun where people were saying they were not crazy about the trigger. I know there are a lot of good triggers out there but I have only felt a few and by far the best one that I have felt is the one that came with my rifle. It is a single stage Hyperfine 24e trigger that has user adjustable springs to adjust the pull weights from 2-4 lbs. I have mine installed with the 2 lb springs and it is very smooth with a crisp break.

Thanks. I'm probably more likely to do some long range target stuff with it, maybe some varmint stuff. I was thinking about taking a class from either Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch or a Gunsite course. But I do want a scope with no more than 4x at the bottom.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived