Question about functionality of cargo lights in reverse on tow mirrors

New member here...

I have a question For those of you who have added the tow mirror kit from gm p/n 23372181. I am planning on having the mirror kit and all three respective harnesses needed on my 2014 Sierra 1500 installed. I wanted to make sure that the dealer bcm programing will update my 2014 model to allow the cargo lights to come on in reverse for not just park and neutral. This is a big thing for me I am really hoping I can turn them on in reverse for the extra light.

Edited by lawnboy-5247

Should work. On a 2016 NHT truck they come on in reverse, as long as the cargo light button has been turned on.

(With the cargo light 'off', they do not come on in reverse.)

Edited by redwngr

I bought the kit and the harnesses, my dealer could not get them to function in reverse. Not a big deal for me, our shop driveway is always well lit, so I did not press the issue. Everything else works great though. They had the truck for two days attempting to get them to work. If you do the upgrade make sure they resync your tire pressure sensors after working with the BCM.

My truck is an early 2015 2500.

Ok thanks, I hope mine work though If they don't the dealer will get an earful.

I have an SLT truck with max tow package which includes the big tow mirrors.

My lights come on in reverse, park, or neutral. They will not come on in drive. I find them extremely useful for backing into spots in pitch black darkness. Those little lights are BRIGHT!

I should note, as another poster stated, I do have to activate the cargo lamp switch first. I can hit the switch when I am driving, and the info screen will pop up telling me the cargo lamps are enabled. The next time I put the vehicle in neutral, park or reverse, they come on. It will stay that way until you either disable the cargo lamps via the switch, or you shut the vehicle off.

Edited by LaserBlueZ71

Tow mirrors are a huge improvement. especially if trying to see behind a trailer.

The small lower glass can also be set to greatly reduce the amount of 'blind spot'.

Having driven trucks with tow mirrors for about 10 years prior to this truck I really miss them. Enought that I have been looking at adding mirrors or updating to an NHT.

Your favorite dealer parts department should be able to pull up the bulletin of the part numbers and programming requirements to convert from whatever mirror you have to whatever mirror you want. If you get the information as a quote, you will have the part numbers, and know what programming is required.

It's a pricey conversion.

Edited by redwngr

I have attached a pdf with all the part numbers based on your body style. As was previously stated it is expensive, I am looking at around 1300 installed with a gm discount on the parts and at a discounted labor rate negotiated with the dealer.

Even at that price I think it will be worth it for better visibility than the terrible (and featureless) DL8 mirrors my truck came with.

P.S. please consult your dealer before ordering anything, as I think there may be an updated sheet with different harness part numbers.

Accessory Camper Mirror Overview-19JUN2015.pdf

Edited by lawnboy-5247

New member here...

I have a question For those of you who have added the tow mirror kit from gm p/n 23372181. I am planning on having the mirror kit and all three respective harnesses needed on my 2014 Sierra 1500 installed. I wanted to make sure that the dealer bcm programing will update my 2014 model to allow the cargo lights to come on in reverse for not just park and neutral. This is a big thing for me I am really hoping I can turn them on in reverse for the extra light.

I got these mirrors as soon as they were released and I could not find a dealer that knew anything about programming them or they said they could not be programmed on a 14 so I installed myself and wired the reverse. I have the reverse and cargo tied together so I really like the mirror reverse lights when backing trailers in the dark but also the extra illumination when approaching the vehicle at night and using the remote unlock.

Tow mirrors are a huge improvement. especially if trying to see behind a trailer.

The small lower glass can also be set to greatly reduce the amount of 'blind spot'.

Having driven trucks with tow mirrors for about 10 years prior to this truck I really miss them. Enought that I have been looking at adding mirrors or updating to an NHT.

Preach on brother! I wanted them for decent towing, but LOVE the better view on a daily basis. Shoot - they even help with my 5x8 utility trailer!

• 1 month later...

I had mine added to my '15 LT 1500, everything I've read in this thread is correct. The ONLY thing that I've read that I see a discrepancy with is that when I have my cargo light switched ON; the backup light stays ON even after I've shut the vehicle car off and pulled out the key from the ignition. Using that example I would have to hit my cargo switch back off to turn them off.

FYI: I paid $435 for the lights (black edition, no chrome) and $250 for the harnesses. Also I was billed for 4 hrs of work at $100/hr. GM states that the work should take 2hrs however I couldn't find a dealer that would agree to this timeframe.

I got these mirrors as soon as they were released and I could not find a dealer that knew anything about programming them or they said they could not be programmed on a 14 so I installed myself and wired the reverse. I have the reverse and cargo tied together so I really like the mirror reverse lights when backing trailers in the dark but also the extra illumination when approaching the vehicle at night and using the remote unlock.

"...when approaching the vehicle at night and using the remote lock."

So your saying you have them connected sort of like "puddle lights"? Don't you have to hit the cargo switch to enable them? How do you turn them on with your remote?

"...when approaching the vehicle at night and using the remote lock."

So your saying you have them connected sort of like "puddle lights"? Don't you have to hit the cargo switch to enable them? How do you turn them on with your remote?

I connected them to the reverse fuse so anytime the truck is unlocked at night or exited the mirror led's come on.