Still Not Sold On A Catch Can? Check Here...

I'm saying that one does not necessarily equal the other, even though it might feel like it does.

OK, so you remove some oil at one point. All you've proved is that a catch can condenses oil/moisture from the fraction that passed through that can. You still don't know how much oil is still in the air that passed thru the can and did not condense. And you still don't know if the air that hits the back of the valves is really cleaner than if you did nothing.

Folks that sell catch cans will spin this like this oil that plates out on the valves will ruin your engine. Sure, it looks bad, but if it it comes off and enters your cylinder, it will make btus and maybe pass thru to your exhaust. It isn't some rock hard substance that will pass your rings and score up your cylinder walls. horsesh1t. It will combust and what doesn't will be exhausted. It might clog up at your catalytic converter. It might not. You don't know. And that snake oil salesman telling you otherwise don't know either. But it sure sounds like a reasonable scenario to get you to peel those duckets out of your wallet!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

If those cans were needed why would GM not add them? Also if they were allowing oil back into the environment why would the EPA not require them. Looks like a good way for GM to void a warranty.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

There are several manufacturers trying to figure out a way to clean valves because they have motors that are so coked up they will not run, they are even recommending walnut blasting now, Ecoboost motors with 80,000 miles on them having to have the heads taken off and cleaned because they are coked up.

This is a real problem and something the manufacture's seemed to have forgot when making DI motors. Yes they have a lot more power as they can run a lot more compression but what is the point when engine longtivity suffers? Give me less power and longer life!

Pulling the oil out of the intake sure as hell isn't going to hurt but you can't tell me dirty oil/water is going to help!

Edited by SMiller
  • Like 2

If those cans were needed why would GM not add them? Also if they were allowing oil back into the environment why would the EPA not require them. Looks like a good way for GM to void a warranty.

Not included as 90% of the public would consider the added maintenance a nuisance or cash grab by dealers. The EPA comment means you don't understand the PCV system. It adds nothing back into the environment. Stock setup circulates the pressure from the crankcase(containing oil mist) back into intake to be burnt in combustion cycle. This is CLEAN for the environment and the reason it's done that way now. Used to be a line ran to ground and a breather cap. Nothing positive of having that dumped into the intake except emission laws and the EPA regulations.

There are several manufacturers trying to figure out a way to clean valves because they have motors that are so coked up they will not run, they are even recommending walnut blasting now, Ecoboost motors with 80,000 miles on them having to have the heads taken off and cleaned because they are coked up.

This is a real problem and something the manufacture's seemed to have forgot when making DI motors. Yes they have a lot more power as they can run a lot more compression but what is the point when engine longtivity suffers? Give me less power and longer life!

Pulling the oil out of the intake sure as hell isn't going to hurt but you can't tell me dirty oil/water is going to help!

Absolutely not forgotten, deemed low priority since it'll be 100k miles before most owners have any issues yes. Majority of owners wouldn't notice anyway as long as it kept moving. People run cars out of oil and brake pads off car before taking them in, most don't notice a little off idle or a few second longer start or down on power.

I have an elite can on mine and have caught a few ounces in 2 tanks of gas. Will it make a difference who knows, but I know there is no positive effect of that oil mist and blowby gases dumping into the intake.

Edited by jrob56
  • Like 2

No I do not understand these engines not have I proclaimed to, but what I do understand is when a company can sell a service or product, especially one that will prolong their primary product line, they will. I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories

• Like 2

No I do not understand these engines not have I proclaimed to, but what I do understand is when a company can sell a service or product, especially one that will prolong their primary product line, they will. I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories

Not a conspiracy by any means, it's really only a problem if your keeping your truck long term. My father in law trades trucks at 50-80k miles. He'll never give anything like this a second thought and why he prefers new vehicles. I'd like to drive this for 10 years and little things like this, changing oil more often than necessary etc prolongs it's life a little it's absolutely worth it. Will that oil mist cause issues maybe not but I know it has no practical purpose being there. Only sent there to satisfy environmental demands and was a great idea on port injection just happens to have some side effects on direct injection.

Honestly hope you have no issues though and my can is not needed.

Edited by jrob56

Which catch can do you have?

A Rev Extreme can. They are no longer on the market. I would suggest an Elite Engineering E2-X can if you're looking to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Why is everyone saying Elite Engineering, There are other catch cans on the market.

Why Elite Engineering one?

They are active on the forums, have a quality product made int he US. And have done extensive testing to show the benefit of their can's vs. competitors. Seems like a no brainer to me.

A Rev Extreme can. They are no longer on the market. I would suggest an Elite Engineering E2-X can if you're looking to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A newer version of the RevExtreme can is still available but under a new name...RX Speedworks. Tracy, the boss, is the guy I spoke to when I was trying to decide if I needed on or not, and he's now the owner of this company. I'd recommend this can because of the customer support. I had a few questions after I got mine so I called and got speak directly with Tracy who was super helpful. I think these are probably one of the best ones on the market after comparing the others side by side. Ultimately it's up to you...this is just my take on it. Good Luck!

Edited by LTZTom

A newer version of the RevExtreme can is still available but under a new name...RX Speedworks. Tracy, the boss, is the guy I spoke to when I was trying to decide if I needed on or not, and he's now the owner of this company. I'd recommend this can because of the customer support. I had a few questions after I got mine so I called and got speak directly with Tracy who was super helpful. I think these are probably one of the best ones on the market after comparing other side by side. Ultimately it's up to you...this is just my take on it. Good Luck!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is incorrect. RX speedworks, is using a knock off can, press fit, made in china. And is selling it under the RX name and brand.

The original RX can (made by RevExtreme performance), is still around, but they have taken down their website and are not selling direct anymore until the debacle with RX speedworks is resolved.

From what I understand, RX speedworks is owned by two ex-employees of RevExtreme whoe were disgruntled over some issues. And decided to start their own company. The original RX company is based out of Palmetto, FL. Where the RX speedworks is operating out of Sarasota, FL.

I have been in contact with Tracy via email. I think you may be getting some of your facts mixed up. He is on the forums under user name 'GDI Tech'. He has been active over in the Catch Can thread. I would suggest you read through the last 10 or so pages of that thread and see the issues first hand with the RX speedworks can. Its basically just glued together. It is not anywhere near the same construction as my original RevExtreme can which is all one solid unit (as seen in my videos on youtube).

Read post #1221 on page 82, by GDI Tech.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/154204-oil-catch-can/page-82

Edited by fondupot
  • Like 2

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is incorrect. RX speedworks, is using a knock off can, press fit, made in china. And is selling it under the RX name and brand.

The original RX can (made by RevExtreme performance), is still around, but they have taken down their website and are not selling direct anymore until the debacle with RX speedworks is resolved.

From what I understand, RX speedworks is owned by two ex-employees of RevExtreme whoe were disgruntled over some issues. And decided to start their own company. The original RX company is based out of Palmetto, FL. Where the RX speedworks is operating out of Sarasota, FL.

I have been in contact with Tracy via email. I think you may be getting some of your facts mixed up. He is on the forums under user name 'GDI Tech'. He has been active over in the Catch Can thread. I would suggest you read through the last 10 or so pages of that thread and see the issues first hand with the RX speedworks can. Its basically just glued together. It is not anywhere near the same construction as my original RevExtreme can which is all one solid unit (as seen in my videos on youtube).

Read post #1221 on page 82, by GDI Tech.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/154204-oil-catch-can/page-82

Thanks!! I just found it by doing an internet search and saw the video of Tracy and did a whole lot of assuming!! I'm glad you cleared that up before I recommended them to a friend. Glad I have the original!!!!

• Like 1

Thanks!! I just found it by doing an internet search and saw the video of Tracy and did a whole lot of assuming!! I'm glad you cleared that up before I recommended them to a friend. Glad I have the original!!!!

No problem. I was so confused the first time I found the RX speedworks website, and the first thing I did was email Tracy direct and ask him what was going on.