Fuel Mileage on your lifted truck

I had a 2009 2500 4x4 Chevy with 6.0 engine. On a good day on 265 AT Cooper tires it might get avg of 12 mpg. If I hypermiled it down the highway/interstate I once got 15 mpg. When I upgraded to 285 it went to 10 mpg avg. That engine and 4.10 gears drink gas. If anyone tells you they did much better than this they are either lying or driving on 245s and always going downhill and downwind. Awesome engine but fuel economy is not comparable with a half ton. Honestly some of the fuel economy pics some folks post up on this site I laugh at. I get a new pickup every 2 years and have done so for about the last 10 years, for me and the wife. All have been Silvys and Tahoes, and you typically struggle to get economy stated on sticker with bone stock tires and easy throttle. Anyone who actually got 20mpg on 35s on a gas engine should let GM or any other auto maker know, because they have a gold mine with some damn cold fusion alien tech engine. Not happening.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

And you lose 1-2 mpg on average from summer blended gas compared to winter blended gas. More butane in the gasoline blend during winter to maximize fuel vaporization in cold weather. That results in most folks experiencing lower mpg from October thru April. That is why it is best to do any mods (early summer or late fall) and compare mpg at that early part of the fuel cycle so you can compare mpg on the same fuel over time.

Archived