2014 gmc sierra cutting off while driving

Hey everyone almost 1 year ago I bought a 2014 gmc sierra rcsb z71 5.3l. For the first 3-5 months I loved it. Then I started having issues with the service engine light coming on and off, after taking it to a dealership they said nothing was detected. Shortly after that I started hearing clunking noise in the rear end and was told by a different dealership it's normal? Well last night I was driving home here in michigan and I hit a slick spot in the road from all the snow melting. I was doing about 50 mph and the rear tires broke loose and started spinning which caused the traction control to kick on. When the tires gripped back up the rear end made the same noise I have been hearing and violently shook the truck to the point the headlights turned off, 100% of the dash went out and the engine shut off. Right after everything including the engine turned right back on but the wipers and radio were going crazy. Worst thing is the electric power steering pretty much froze up and almost took me off the road and through a ditch! I am fed up with this truck their is simply way to many problems. Only problem is I've had it almost a year now and I'm not sure I can just say hey I don't want it anymore. Which I completely understand. The other thing is the 2 most trusted dealers in my area have not been able to help in any way. Is their anyone else having this issue or anyone who can assist me with this issue? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Man that is unreal. I am sorry to hear you are having that kind of problem. I would try to contact GM directly or the BBB and attempt to get a buy back. And for a dealership to tell you a clunking noise in the rear end is "normal" is just beyond ridiculous.

• Like 2

Yes it is rediculous. The service advisor I spoke with said he sees it all the time and its the pinion tolerances. Thanks for the advice I am going to get ahold of GM in downtown detroit to see if something can be done. I simply do not feel safe in this truck after that. Especially with all the problems GM had recently. Sucks because I am a die hard GM guy and this is my 4th GM truck. But it is what it is and this truck just has issues and is not safe. For the steering to lock up the way it did with the key in the ON position is just beyond me. I thank God nobody was with me and I was able to avoid a crash. Thanks again man and happy thanksgiving!

• Like 1

Well I have a response from gm. They tell me to take it to another dealership.

UPDATE- GM has contacted a dealership for me and it seems they are willing to over see the diagnosis/repairs. At this point I won't bash them anymore, or give out any info on the dealerships I had a problem with unless this situation does not get resolved.

If anyone has any input or possible info on my problem please let me know. Thanks.

Edited by 14rcsb
  • Like 1

I know this is not related to your issue, but how is the chrome holding up on your wheels? I know Michigan uses some harsh chemicals in the winter.

Not bad actually. Their is a few SMALL blemishes but I bought them used so I don't know the history on them and if the previous owner took care of them. I do keep a nice layer of wheel polish on them though to try and chemicals and grime off the chrome itself.

I'm curious to find out what they say about your truck at the second dealer. I actually came to the forum because I have had a similar issue and it happened 3 times in two days. The thing that scares me is that I was driving on dry, flat pavement and never lost traction that I am aware of. The only difference is that I don't hear any noise coming from the driveline.

All three times my truck suddenly had a message that said "stability control" on the cluster, it locked the front left wheel, I lost all steering, the radio and cluster went completely dead and then the engine stalled about 5 seconds later. Everything came back on twice and the third time I had to restart the truck.

I took it to the dealer. They have had it since last Tuesday when they opened. They told me they can't find anything wrong with it. When I got there, he began reading the report from the scan tool and said "lost communications to steering, lost communication to brakes, there are a bunch more. I won't read them all to you". They wanted to give it back to me. I told them to keep looking. I don't want to risk injuring or killing someone else or myself.

Keep me posted on what you find out. I don't know if it is the same or not, but it might be related.

I'm curious to find out what they say about your truck at the second dealer. I actually came to the forum because I have had a similar issue and it happened 3 times in two days. The thing that scares me is that I was driving on dry, flat pavement and never lost traction that I am aware of. The only difference is that I don't hear any noise coming from the driveline.

All three times my truck suddenly had a message that said "stability control" on the cluster, it locked the front left wheel, I lost all steering, the radio and cluster went completely dead and then the engine stalled about 5 seconds later. Everything came back on twice and the third time I had to restart the truck.

I took it to the dealer. They have had it since last Tuesday when they opened. They told me they can't find anything wrong with it. When I got there, he began reading the report from the scan tool and said "lost communications to steering, lost communication to brakes, there are a bunch more. I won't read them all to you". They wanted to give it back to me. I told them to keep looking. I don't want to risk injuring or killing someone else or myself.

Keep me posted on what you find out. I don't know if it is the same or not, but it might be related.

Wow sorry to hear your having issues as well. My rear end noise I have been hearing is the same clunking noise others are complaining about, I don't think it's the cause of my issue I think when the truck regained traction it was enough shock to make the rear end make that noise again. I havnt had time with work last week to take mine in but it's going in tomorrow morning to be dropped off. I'll update with the out come. I'm hoping it can be resolved as I love the truck. But at this point it's a risk driving and could car less how much I like it. Edited by 14rcsb

Well took my truck in and they claim they can't find what's wrong even though the computer readout is saying that their has been multiple power failures and power steering failures. They said that the best they can do is continue to search until tomorrow and if nothing was found that I would have to pay to have the mechanic continue!!!!!! Then the advisor continued on to say that my AFE intake may be a source of the problem! Really!?! A cold air intake can make a car shut down completley???? I can't believe this is real. How can a car company do this to people and not have any consequences? Unreal screw GM they just lost a customer who has owned more then 10 GM vehicles in the last 7 years.

• Like 1

You do realize that GM has absolutely no control over the dealership. If the dealership is being lazy that is on the dealer. That is the price we pay when the .gov people wont allow the manufacture to be the end point seller as well in the USA.

You do realize that GM has absolutely no control over the dealership. If the dealership is being lazy that is on the dealer. That is the price we pay when the .gov people wont allow the manufacture to be the end point seller as well in the USA.

Yes I do realize that. I have personally contacted gm headquarters downtown detroit and they are the ones who told me to take it to another dealership which I did. Now I have to pay to have their mechanic look at it? I could understand if it had super high miles, or something I did wrong. This isn't a minor issue my vehicle is cutting off at all speeds and is clearly coming up on their scanners I have the print outs.

FYI... There is now a service bulletin/repair procedure for diagnosing and resolving the Stabilitrak/Power failure issue. It is # PIT5405A. The dealer had my truck for almost two weeks and worked extensively with the GM Technical Assistance Center (TAC) to troubleshoot the issue. They were finally able to come up with a procedure to diagnose the issue. This also allows them to confirm when the issue has been resolved.

I spent about 30 minutes talking with the dealership after everything was fixed. This issue is caused by a voltage drop in the electrical system. They can re-create it by applying voltage to specific points in the system. Once everything was corrected on my truck, they could no longer create this voltage drop, so I feel "fairly confident" that the issue has actually been addressed.

The notes on my service ticket were very extensive and they gave me the GM TAC ticket number as well so that I would have it for my records. I also got a print out of all of the vehicle logs for my records. I don't think they would have been as open with all of the information if they weren't confident that they had resolved the issue.

Edited by ngiovas