2014 Silverado z71 creaking and clanking from rear end???

I have noticed a creaking sound at low speeds coming from the rear passenger side suspension. Seems as if cold and wet weather make the noise more prevalent. Also, when going over bumps, rear end seems loose and clunks loud. Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have the problems fixed?

Do a search on this topic. There are quite a few threads on suspension squeaks and clunks. Apparently many of these noises are normal sounds reflecting the quality built into your truck, and no repairs should be attempted. I believe that in some cases replacing the shock absorbers, tightening the spring shackle bolts, etc. helped some.

Welcome to my world. I had my truck in once and they told me it was the aftermarket air bags I had installed. Took them off and the noise was still there so I took it back. They called and said they couldn't replicate so I went to test drive with them. Within a few minutes we were back at the dealership and they guessed it was the rear axle shafts. Replaced both axle shafts, seals, clips and it seemed to solve the noise. That was Monday of last week and the noise returned within a day so I'm going back for the 3rd time on this issue.

Dealership has been good to deal with so I can't complain. Just wish they could figure this out b/c its very annoying. Its loud enough that people in my parking lot at work turn around to see what the noise was.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed a few squeaks/clanks at slow speeds off road on gravel/dirt roads going over big dips and holes. I've got bilstein shocks in all 4 corners, so I'd say that's one thing you can mark off to not causing it on yours, if it's a similar sound to mine. Doesn't happen all the time and doesn't seem to be as severe as what you describe man. Keep us posted. There are so many squeaks and random clanks lol. May try some leaf spring clamps, that has helped get rid of a major clunk for me and many others.

-Skeet

• 2 weeks later...

The leafs have delrin pads at each end that usually self-lubricate and live a quiet life. When dirt gets trapped between the pads and adjacent leafs, they begin to make noise. You can try to lubricate them but it will only make the noise worse i. The long run if you chose the wrong lubricant. Grease will trap dirt and eeventually make the noise even worse.

The pads are replaceable, Dorman sells exactly replacements.

Other sources of noise are lose u-bolts, lose spare tire, lose leaf spring mounts/shackle bolts, bad shocks, lose bed mounts, etc.

I sprayed the leafs springs with hoy water and applied super lube teflon spray. I also torqued my u-bolts (they were loose) and leaf spring shackle bolts (also loose). 99% noise free now.

Archived