2017 Gas 2500 Changes

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 4:10 can only HELP city mileage.

It's not the rear end, it's the engine which isn't designed for mileage.

Personally, we have the 6.2 8 speed in our Denali, and it would make a nice engine for the trucks.

Question is if GM would put an aluminum block engine in a HD.

Do away with the cylinder cut off, and I think it would be perfect.

What changes will we see for the 17 gas 2500? My wish list in order would be as follows:

3.73 rear end

8 speed transmission

I'd love to see this truck (4x4) average around 17+ mpg. Any thoughts or predictions on this?

My guess is your going to see these changes ... offered at an added price over the the Base 6.0 / 6 speed.

Maybe the cost will be about 1/2 the price of the Duramax option

That's a long shot lol but it would be nice. Needs a bigger motor to compare to the 6.4 Hemi which, IMO, is the best HD gasser on the market (besides the transmission)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do know the 6.0 wasted the 6.4 in the Fastlane Truck shootout right?

The 6.0 is gutless as is, why in the world would you want to bog it more, let it rev so it isn't under so much load, 3.73 gears suck!

You do know the 6.0 wasted the 6.4 in the Fastlane Truck shootout right?

The 6.0 is gutless as is, why in the world would you want to bog it more, let it rev so it isn't under so much load, 3.73 gears suck!

Idk what that is, but I'm sure the 6.4 tows a bit better, obviously depending on trans shift points and when and where it gets its power.

Don't get me wrong, we have two box trucks at work with 6.0 motors with the 6L90E and for what they are they are pretty quick

Cowpie, what kind of mpg are you getting? I'd be happy with the 6.0, but feel like a different rear end would help with the mileage. Thanks for your input!

Well, the colder weather, little more wind than normal, and winter blend fuel has take a toll on mpg, but I am averaging for all miles around 13-14 mpg. During warm weather, I usually average 14-15 for all miles. I have regularly gotten 17-18 mpg on road trips from spring to fall. 4.10 diffs. Don't really tow much, I mostly got the 2500 for what it can haul, which is considerably more than a 1500, and does it much better. That is why I couldn't justify a diesel. The 6.0L does a fantastic job for hauling. I would never get a good return on investment by shelling out a lot more dollars for the Dmax. It might be a break even result at best over the life of the vehicle. Any towing I do is within a close range of the house, 50 miles or less, and light.

On the 6.2L in the 2500, sure it would offer more power, and it would have to be a non AFM variety. But until it has somewhere near the same track record as the L96 6.0L in commercial and agriculture use, which is a very good track record, I have no interest in being GM's guinea pig. The L96 is darn near bullet proof. The 6.2L Ecotec is just too new of a motor with no proven track record under severe conditions. And given that 3/4 of all 2500/3500 buyers are commercial users, it would be stupid of GM to jump the gun in moving the 6.2L over to the 2500. If it turned out to be a junker under severe operating conditions, it would take GM a lot of years to get out from under the negative view the commercial users would have for the pickup with that motor. The vast majority of 1500 6.2L owners are not stressing it to its limits in a typical commercial environment, which is much harsher than a daily driver type of thing. I live rural and have to haul frequently and go off road often. I need dependability.

I think 2017 gas HD will be the same 6.0, 6 speed they have now. It's a tough combo. Speaking of tough.... GM still puts a 4.8 with the HD 6 speed in the cargo vans, that combo is bulletproof.

I think 2017 gas HD will be the same 6.0, 6 speed they have now. It's a tough combo. Speaking of tough.... GM still puts a 4.8 with the HD 6 speed in the cargo vans, that combo is bulletproof.

Unfortunately I disagree as I know there is a new Duramax/Allison coming so I assume there will be a new direct injection DOD gas motor coming as well.

Unfortunately I disagree as I know there is a new Duramax/Allison coming so I assume there will be a new direct injection DOD gas motor coming as well.

Hopefully the Dmax can hang with the Cummins and Powerstroke numbers, they've been lagging behind for a few years. The new Cummins is 900 ft pounds (2016 MY) and the Powerstroke is currently 860

I've been happy with the 2 6.0s I've had 2001 and 2006, we've had I think 5 now total since 1999(98?). They had enough power to keep me out of trouble and our family didn't have problems towing with them either. Always paired ours 6s with the 4.10 rear ends. Having said that, now that I have a dmax, I don't miss the 6.0 much except the exhaust. I'm with cowpie though I'd much rather have the 6.0 than the "fancy" 6.2. I drive a truck no for speed, but for safety and it's ability to do what I tell it to do. If I wanted fast or was worried about mpg I'd get a half ton or a sports car.

Thank you all for your insight! Cowpie like you I do not tow a lot, but like driving a heavier truck. After driving a dmax for the past 13+ years I purchased a 14 1500 z71. I never have liked it and am back driving my 03 dmax with 230 k miles.

Archived