Terrible road noise / cabin noise in my new 2016 2500 HD

• 4 months later...

Welcome to the club, mine is an SLT and loud as all hell. They have thrown everything from hub assemblies to rotation and balance. My just happened overnight and I'm ready to flip. My 06 was a ton quieter. It resonates from the front left wheel well area.

The quote above describes my experience exactly...every word.

I know this is an old thread, but I just picked up my brand new 2016 Silverado LTZ/Z71/Custom Sport Edition 2500HD Crew Cab. Mine is a 4x4 Duramax. I have had the truck for 5 days, and suddenly today I became aware of a dull roar coming from the left forward side of the vehicle. Seems to be completely independent of engine rpm, but not road speed. When the truck stops rolling, so does the roar. At first I thought it might be wind noise, but it seems more substantial than that. My 2000 Suburban, 2002 Tahoe, and 2004 Sierra 1500 Extended Cab are all wonderfully quiet, with literally a whisper of air just forward of the windshield, and almost nonexistent road noise. Otherwise, the new rig has excellent manners; smooth as glass on the open road, no vibration or buffeting. It appears the sound comes from the left front wheel area, and yet isn't tire noise. Road surface doesn't seem to affect the sound.

Somehow, I fear this is not going away with a single trip to a dealer.

Edited by KIILew

Hey guys, im new to the forum and just purchased a 2016 2500hd 4x4 crew cab 6'6" bed with carpet and cloth interior. My previous truck was a 2004 1500 silverado lt 2wd crew cab leather. The new truck is definitely much quieter inside and I have those Firestone tires also.

I recently buy a 2016 2500HD 6.0 LT Midnight edition and I has the same issue, a loud sound from left front end. I listen it at peak between 25-40mph

Dealer check it, nothing,

I tested to putting spare tire in front left, no difference,

I tested on 2wd, 4wd always the same sound,

I tested on manual mode transmission with high engine rpm, or low engine rpm, same sound,

I tested a transmission on neutral, same sound,

When i play with steering when i drive (left-right-left-right), i notice a very little difference in sound.

I suspect : wheel bearing assy, or differential adjustement, or bad bearing on differential.... or i dont know.

My dealer says that GM know the issue and they work on it.

I will follow this threat closely.

• 3 weeks later...

My 2015.5 Denali Duramax does same thing. I'm glad I'm not nuts. Was about to go to dealer and demand hubs. Went it before and they said it was tires. I swapped 20" GY SRAs to BFGs and same noise.

Any updates from folks?

I appreciate your help!

Bob

My tires no not Firestone, they are Goodyear. Tire brand or size does not make a difference, it's internal to the front CV Joint assembly or outer differential bearing assembly. Until there is a legitimate TSB, I think we are all stuck with it. I have had numerous people drive it and experience the same noise, hum that I do. You cannot hear it from the driver's side. The funny thing is, the only people on the planet Earth that cannot hear it by driving are GM Techs. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the road noise as well (2015 2500HD SLT) and the first thing the dealer said was to go drive another, and , all the ones I drove have the same condition. I have the Michelin tires, and, as the road surface changes, so does the noise. Service mgr says they are aware of it and he will let me know of any notifications from GM.

The vehicle is quiet...except there is a humming that sounds like there is nothing between you and your left front tire. It's like the wheel well is almost open to the interior.

It's not good, and it seems wide spread as well.

• 1 month later...

Mine still does this and I have done:

(I have a 15.5 Denali Duramax)

- Multiple trips to dealer. They think I'm a nut.

- Replaced stock 20" GY SRAs with BFG KO2. Load Range D (softer). Roadforce balanced. Nope still there, but less tire hum (SRAs suck)

- Replaced shocks with adjustable Rancho 9000s to soften if needed. Still there.

- Purchased new Denali 18" wheels/Michelins and roadforced. Still there.

- Replaced left CV. Still there. (my $$$)

- Replaced left hub. Still there. (my $$$)

- Back to dealer for rotors wearing unevenly. Wouldn't replace under warranty, (again my $$$).

Only thing left I can think of is the axle bearing into diff. However, noise changes with road surface mostly, so I am leaning away from that one.

Any thoughts?

I have to think that this is a sound insulation problem spot.

If everything under the sun has been changed without fixing the problem, then we need to look elsewhere.

IMO, it has always sounded like an insulation coverage spot somewhere in the firewall.