Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

What Goes "Whump...Whump...Whump" and Makes Trucks?

post-139450-0-95323700-1449760286_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
12/10/2015

A few years back doing a story on clean energy I was surprised to learn that Texas was the leader in North America in terms of wind power production. So I was not very surprised to learn that General Motors is planning to use wind-generated electricity to partly power its Arlington, TX plant. The Arlington plant, located in a suburb of Dallas, makes 'Burbans, Escalades, and Yukons.

post-139450-0-88952900-1449760405_thumb.jpg

GM isn't actually building any wind new turbines. Not to be skeptical, but that isn't how this clean energy thing works. Rather, GM signed a power supply deal with EDP Renewables North America who has 261 massive wind turbines operating in Texas. Fifteen of them will be sort of designated for GM and the power they create will "save" 1 million metric tons of CO2 form being produced during the production of 125K vehicles per year. GM can now claim that some of its full-sized SUVs are "Build using clean energy." Even better, GM says that its agreement will save the company $2.8 million in energy costs each year.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

ADSENSE FOOTER
  • Similar Content

• By awc
      So, I'm lost. My truck will want to turn right all the time, you have to hold it on the road. Highway, low speed, doesn't matter. I've replaced the upper ball joints, upper control arm bushings, Pitman arm, idler arm, steering box, calipers, pads, rotors, steering stabilizer and front shocks. Checked the lower ball joints and wheel bearings but they are free and have no play. Had it aligned twice by Merchants. The guy was cool, he brought me in and showed me the machine and worked with me. He let me drive it after everything was done and we tried again but he was even lost and apologized. On the machine it was perfect. On the road not so much. I bought new Cooper Discover A/T's and some Dick Cepeks recently but nothing changed after the upgrade. Went with a bigger tire but the issue persisted after the change. 

So the only things I haven't changed are the lower ball joints, inner / outer tie rods, wheel bearings, and ????. I even went as far as to park my truck on flat ground and measured the height of the front fenders and re-adjusted the torsion bars to match everything up hoping for some improvement. 

Its very squirrelly at highway speed. The larger tires seemed to have amplified the issue. Wanders fairly badly now.

any help will be much appreciated

• By sierra1412
      2017 sierra A/T crew cab I have the most annoying tick noise over bumps, coming from the b pillar behind my left ear and it is driving me brick house, I've pulled at the trim off put my hands on everything made sure everything is tight, stuff rags in between contact points, I've run out of ideas, anyone have an guidance for me, I'm a ex gm technician of 5 years , I know what I'm doing but of course my own truck baffles me..per usual any new bulletins or tsbs?
    • By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      9-27-2017
      Why would workers at one of General Motors' most productive North American plants running three shifts straight out building the company's most popular crossover worry about job security? "Mexico" is the answer according to a detailed story published by the Detroit News.

Workers and union representatives at the Canadian CAMI plant which builds the new Equinox worry that work will shift from the higher-wage plant to a plant in Mexico. The concern is not unfounded. The CAMI plant has already lost 400 jobs and the GMC Terrain to Mexico. The Detroit News used the example of four-year CAMI plant worker Todd Sleeper. Sleeper took the job at CAMI after Caterpillar offered workers at his old job a choice; Accept a pay cut of 50% or the company would move the work to Mexico. The work moved, and he was out of a job. Sleeper sums up what the strike is about, saying, “We need to start protecting jobs here in Canada.” It should be noted that most of the Equinox vehicles built in GM's CAMI's plant are exported to the United States.

The CAMI plant employs 2,450 hourly workers as well as about 300 salaried workers. The plant is located in Ingersoll, Ontario Canada about 80 miles North-East of Detroit and Dearborn, Michigan.

Ten days ago, GM issued this statement on the CAMI plant strike: While General Motors of Canada and our Unifor partners have made very positive progress on several issues over the past weeks, the Company is disappointed that we were not able to complete a new agreement. We encourage Unifor to resume negotiations and to continue working together to secure a competitive agreement.

• By ezoand
      I have a 2003 GMC Yukon the driver door module doesn't work. I took it to the mechanic shop and they said that it needs to be changed, we bought a new one and installed it and it still doesnt work. Does anyone have any clue what i need to do????
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Millie Gregory
    Newest Member
    Millie Gregory
  • Who's Online   56 Members, 1 Anonymous, 353 Guests (See full list)