Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

What Goes "Whump...Whump...Whump" and Makes Trucks?

post-139450-0-95323700-1449760286_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
12/10/2015

A few years back doing a story on clean energy I was surprised to learn that Texas was the leader in North America in terms of wind power production. So I was not very surprised to learn that General Motors is planning to use wind-generated electricity to partly power its Arlington, TX plant. The Arlington plant, located in a suburb of Dallas, makes 'Burbans, Escalades, and Yukons.

post-139450-0-88952900-1449760405_thumb.jpg

GM isn't actually building any wind new turbines. Not to be skeptical, but that isn't how this clean energy thing works. Rather, GM signed a power supply deal with EDP Renewables North America who has 261 massive wind turbines operating in Texas. Fifteen of them will be sort of designated for GM and the power they create will "save" 1 million metric tons of CO2 form being produced during the production of 125K vehicles per year. GM can now claim that some of its full-sized SUVs are "Build using clean energy." Even better, GM says that its agreement will save the company $2.8 million in energy costs each year.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Justin Arkin
      Can anyone tell me where the vertical adjustment screws for the low beam projector on a 2016 suburban  with stock halogens are?  I recently retrofit the low beam bulbs (which are ridiculously dim) with Morimoto HIDs and need to lower the beams a bit.  The Left/Right adjustment is on the back of the assembly, clearly marked and easy to find, but I have not been able to find any adjustment on the headlamp assembly for vertical adjustment, even after removing the plastic air dam that covers the top of the headlamp assemblies.

Any suggestions/information much appreciated,

Justin

• By Josh_perry24
      Hey!  As the title states, I have a standard/regular cab 2014 Silverado.  I'm looking for a set of new or near new chrome door handles,  Key on one or both sides, I guess it doesn't really matter.  Would also consider buying a full set of 4 if the price was right, though I only need the two.  Thanks for any offers!
    • By Tyler Sywyk
      Hello, I own an 08 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel Crew Cab Long box pick up, it's throwing a display message, but not giving me any codes, the message is service trailer brake system, it used to show that message and then I had it brought into the shop the second of July and they replaced the trailer break relay in the rear, had to change out some eye connectors at the fuse box. They also replaced the fuse. Worked great again from then to about a three weeks ago and this was including an 11 000km trip towing the trailer, it brought the message up again. The truck had been sitting and driven every once and a while, a bit of idling this winter as well, but no towing. so I replaced the fuse because it looked blown. After replaced it work fine again no more message thought maybe wet weather caused it. Now unfortunately now again yesterday I went to use it again and the message comes up, it was just recently used a few days ago and no message, today we have some dense fog as well as some rain. I think it only happens when it rains heavy or fog.. I am not entirely sure on that though. I replaced the fuse in the fuse box for the (ITBC) The one I changed out before to get it to work, and this time it did not work and nothing changed on the dash message still up.  I can more than easily replace the Relay without any issues, but I don't want to do that if it is just going to create the exact same issue. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Also on a side note, whenever I start the truck it puts out grey smoke until it has warmed up passed about 79-85 degrees Celcius (174F-187F), which is normally after driving for about 5 mins 10 at most or letting it high idle until that temp, it also does smoke when driving until warmed up. it never puts out black or blue smoke. Its grey, just as it is on a cold day in a gas engine. today we've reached the highest temp lately about 8 degrees Celcius and it still smoked. It never did this in the summer or fall just after it got cold. So I am just wondering if this is normal or if something is causing this to happen when it shouldn't be. Could it be something  as simple as it needing an oil change? Or also does it need a long drive at highway speed to deal with burn cleaning the DPF? I am a new owner to this pickup, and it is my first year with it so I am new to diesel's and don't know what to expect from them.

Any help Is much appreciated!

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
      2-16-2018

The Chevrolet Suburban has earned a Good Housekeeping Best New Cars of 2018 award. Yes, the big boy took home top honors in its segment.  The group called the Suburban a “Larger than life workhorse” and points out that the Chevy has a “huge amount of storage.”

Good Housekeeping employs two engineers and a product analyst and they, along with a little help from the staff at Car and Driver, made this year’s selections. The expert panelists offered this sage advice for those considering a Suburban: "Always make sure your mirrors are aligned to boost visibility." 

The Bolt EV also made the list. Chevrolet tied for first place with the most segment wins. 
    • By LD Dirty Shame
      My Yukon has developed a temperature control problem with the heating and cooling settings.   First issue is when A/C is not needed.  Since it's winter, I can start my drive, typically it's 30 or 40 degrees outside, wait for the engine temp to start to rise and ask for 74 or 72 degrees from the previous days drive.  As soon as you hit or turn on the FAN control knob, A/C selection comes on.....but I don't need it.  It's 30 degrees outside!  Took it to my GMC dealer, and he can't find any "error codes", nor can he duplicate.  So I provide him with 3 or 4 videos from my iPhone.  It clearly shows the engine temp starting to rise and able to give "warmer" air than the outside air, and outside temp on the touchscreen at say 34 degrees.  A/C selector clearly comes on when pushing the fan ON and either vents or floor selected for my air.  Been to him twice.  Then, it has progressed to really HOT air coming from the vents or floor, when set to 72 degrees.  I set a little temp gauge in the vent and when asking for 72, its pumping out over 100 degrees.   Sent him a video of that.  Drove down to the dealer on a half hour drive with it set this way, and showed him...."yah, that's sure hot" is his reply.  Now, on longer trips of 3 hours last weekend, we are either too hot or too cold.  One point we had 69 dialed in on both passengers, feet were cold at 69 but dash vents with my thermometer was near 120.  Settings never seem to track.  You can set  it for any temp and it starts out comfortable, but slowly starts to get hot, then you crank it back lower and then we are cold. He has had it again for two days and can't duplicate on their test drives.  Says he can't do any "warranty work" without error codes being generated.  Oh, and the other really strange thing.....three months ago, my rear window completely blew out.  Exploded like it had been shot out!  And we were driving down a road at 15 mph.  Course, it has a REAR DEFROST button on my dash, where all this problem is occurring NOW.    Wonder how I can help my dealer find a solution?  Yukon has only 18k miles and purchased new from this dealer.