New Truck Rear-Ended - Looking for help/advice

mr. tim

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And why three estimates? The cost doesn't matter to you as you won't be paying. Just go with the best shop that you can find that does the best work. Don't worry about what it costs. They will likely deal directly with the insurance company and you won't see any of the money.

Update #2

3 different quotes, 3 very different prices. The cheapest to fix everything and only replace the tailgate, the mid quote which is a combination of fixing and a new bed side and tailgate and then the most expensive as outlined in my first post. This is why I went with multiple quotes because of the varying ways to fix it. The good news looks like none of the rear suspension or mounting points of the suspension to the frame are damaged. The frame damage all looks to be behind the rear most mounting points of the suspension to the frame. This makes me feel that straightening the frame is the better option rather than replacing the entire frame. The truck will never be the same if everything gets moved to a new frame.

I only declined at this time to not let my insurance handle it. That doesn't mean I wont ultimately not let them handle it. I want to make sure I know all aspects of what I am dealing with - between both insurance companies. They are not out for my best interest. They are out to settle for the cheapest, safest fix.

Even though there are no diminished value regulations for PA, I am going to get the dealership I purchased from to give me pre-accident/current/post-fix values for the vehicle. If I can prove diminished value and threaten with legal action, I might be able to get them to adjust to a higher amount.

Im not going to take the route of injury. Its already been reported that there were no injuries on either side. The whole purpose is not to make out anywhere. I just want my truck back.

Thank you to all for your suggestions. Keep them coming. I am sure Ive not thought of every angle. Im just looking to be prepared, and not to be taken advantage of.

I would really consider trading that truck off the second the paint dries. Once the car fax hits, you won't be able to get rid of that truck except at the dirty car fax auction. Too bad you were not injured or the insurance company would jump through hoops to get this closed out at the price of replacing your truck.

I would really consider trading that truck off the second the paint dries. Once the car fax hits, you won't be able to get rid of that truck except at the dirty car fax auction. Too bad you were not injured or the insurance company would jump through hoops to get this closed out at the price of replacing your truck.

I agree with the first point here. Trade it FAST! Carfax will eff you badly once it shows up.

However, i am just glad you didnt get injured...

I had about 4k in body damage done to a VW jetta of mine and in the end the body shop just dealt with the insurance company. The Company sent out a appraiser who lowballed a cash amount but the body shop just told them how much it'd be and they paid for it. At which point you just go with the most expensive and certified work done on it. That was my experience anyway, only one I've had to deal with insurance.

The others say to trade it in once the carfax hits and they're probably right about that.

I had about 4k in body damage done to a VW jetta of mine and in the end the body shop just dealt with the insurance company. The Company sent out a appraiser who lowballed a cash amount but the body shop just told them how much it'd be and they paid for it. At which point you just go with the most expensive and certified work done on it. That was my experience anyway, only one I've had to deal with insurance.

The others say to trade it in once the carfax hits and they're probably right about that.

Yea trade her fast before it shows up! We got stuck with our acura TL because of minor door collision (previous owner), because all dealerships hit us at 40-50% less than trade in book value. And that impact was purely cosmetic damage correctly fixed at the acura dealer. It even showed up on the carfax as "cosmetic with no structural damage reported"! We wanted to trade it in my silvy, but had to trade my accord coupe instead

Sorry this is going on for you. Makes me afraid my wife got tapped low speed on her rear bumper and a few scratches on the hatch of her 2013 Mazda Cx5 sport crossover. Its a bumper cover, maybe a plastic support, and hatch repaint ($1800 damage) Now thinking we can lose alot of value over nothing. Though in our case we plan to drive it 200k miles or more

A few years ago I had a truck get heavily damaged in an accident and was just short of being totaled. The other driver was uninsured of course so my own insurance company had to pay for the damage. They wouldn't budge on totaling it so I wanted diminished value, even fighting my own insurance company to try to get diminished value I had zero luck! It is hard to get without an attorney which I didn't do. My situation was different since it was my company so you can get more aggressive with the other drivers insurance carrier.

I know there are folks that get it successfully but I didn't have any luck.

I get daily emails from a company that sells damaged late model salvage title vehicles, I see them on a daily basis on that list for sale so there are people out there that get the insurance companies to total vehicles like this but I don't know how the hell they do it!

Yea trade her fast before it shows up! We got stuck with our acura TL because of minor door collision (previous owner), because all dealerships hit us at 40-50% less than trade in book value. And that impact was purely cosmetic damage correctly fixed at the acura dealer. It even showed up on the carfax as "cosmetic with no structural damage reported"! We wanted to trade it in my silvy, but had to trade my accord coupe instead

Ah well, too late for me. Besides the jetta is past 150k miles and is a car for life. Can't argue with the 30 mpg average.

A few points of clarification. There still is a lot of misinformation out there i hope i can cover it all.

-a frame replacement is not a big deal and all will be as it was before if your dealing with a competent, qualified shop. Period.

- if diminution in value is not allowed in your state, you can argue all you want or lawyer up, it'll make no difference. It's not covered.

-tims truck is not going to be a salvage vehicle unless there's a lot more damage than what he showed in the photos. Tim what were the 3 quotes you obtained?

- tim, i can't give you legal advise but again, as i said initially you should report this to your own carrier so they are on notice. You can still decide to go through the adverse if you want in the end.

Please read your policy conditions in your policy. Prompt noitce of loss and affording the carrier the opportunity to inspect the damages are REQUIREMENTS if you want them to handle your claim or they can deny it. I recommended this to you upfront for a reason. If you want to gamble going through the adverse carrier, your taking a big risk. But it's your call, just don't get upset with your carrier later when your truck is fixed through the adverse carrier and your unhappy because at that point they will be unable to assist you.

- in this day and age, there is no lowballing in physical damage claims due to insurance regs, if you're dealing with a reputable carrier. The damages are what they are, but that does not mean the carrier is obligated to pay the highest quote to fix your truck and you shouldn't expect them to either.

The insurance company will repair the damage in the most cost effective way it can legitimately fix it. The same as you would if you had no insurance. Insurance is a for profit business, thankfully as if it wasn't, we'd all be paying much higher premiums. Competition is good but sometimes you get what you pay for. Think progressive and their stupid pricing tool commercials. It's cheaper for a reason. I work for a great carrier where, if you have purchased the right endorsement, we use all oem parts and don't take betterment on the repairs (betterment is not an issue for tim bc his truck is new, or it shouldn't be anyway)

I'm sure there are fly by night carriers out there who are not honest with their insureds, but that's ultimately on you for who you place your business with (not just the op, but all of us)

Take the time to read your policy and understand the coverages BEFORE you have a loss and don't rely on your insurance agent for that information as I've found most of them don't really understand the coverages and that's where misunderstandings start.

Again, good luck, tim, I'd put a frame under that truck and call it a day. If you don't like how it runs afterwards, trade it and move on.

That truck should be junked, frame is bent. I wouldn't accept a repair on it, only a replacement truck. That truck will eat tires, go down the road sideways, it will never be what it was. Sorry to say it. At least if they write it off, you will not lose as much equity, as owning a collision repaired truck.

Archived