New 2016 GMC Yukon Rough Idle

I took my 2016 Yukon Denali with only 1500 miles on it into West Metro GMC due to rough idle concerns and even provided the TSB for the condition (PIP#5211) and was told that the bulletin didn’t apply to 2016’s and my vehicle already had the shims described in the bulletin already installed at the factory.

I find this answer highly suspect and think it’s more likely that the bulletin hasn’t been updated to include 2016 models.

The dealer also said that the rough idle is normal with direct injection engines and the vehicle is operating as designed. Ironically my previous Duramax was direct injection and so was the loaner car they gave me for the service appointment both of which ran smooth as glass. There’s no way a 81,000 vehicle should be running like this and if GM wants to be in the 81,000.00 SUV business they need step up their game.

I am willing to pay for this repair myself as GM won’t honor their warranty.

Does anybody see an issue with voiding my warranty by taking it into a non-gm shop to get the TSB performed?

Being its a 2016 I'd let them play with it. The PI (its not a TSB) is specific to 2014 and 2015 so assuming that 2016 is covered is a 50/50% chance right or wrong.

Nowhere is GM not honoring your warranty. Let them fix it.

Edited by 15HDriver

I took it the dealer and they say no trouble codes detected and the vehicle is operating normally. They will not do anything fix the issue leaving me with no other options to get this problem addressed under warranty.

Since the vehicle is exhibiting the exact same condition as the PI states there's probably higher than a 50% chance that it applies.

I guess it's a matter of prospective as to whether they are honoring their warranty or not since all they have to do its deny there is a problem and your screwed.

Edited by bjurkovski

I took my 2016 Yukon Denali with only 1500 miles on it into West Metro GMC due to rough idle concerns and even provided the TSB for the condition (PIP#5211) and was told that the bulletin didn’t apply to 2016’s and my vehicle already had the shims described in the bulletin already installed at the factory.

I find this answer highly suspect and think it’s more likely that the bulletin hasn’t been updated to include 2016 models.

The dealer also said that the rough idle is normal with direct injection engines and the vehicle is operating as designed. Ironically my previous Duramax was direct injection and so was the loaner car they gave me for the service appointment both of which ran smooth as glass. There’s no way a 81,000 vehicle should be running like this and if GM wants to be in the 81,000.00 SUV business they need step up their game.

I am willing to pay for this repair myself as GM won’t honor their warranty.

Does anybody see an issue with voiding my warranty by taking it into a non-gm shop to get the TSB performed?

12 years ago I decided to ONLY use Exxon Mobil gas in all my vehicles. I am glad I did. I have not experienced any fuel related issues. I do not "Mix" fuels as I do not shop price. All of my vehicles run smooth. Some of my service vehicles have high miles. Our service center owner swears by Exxon Mobil also. Clean air,oil and fuel is the key to long life and good service. Sounds like you have a fuel related issue.

I've been running Kwik Stop 91 Octane ethanol free Top Tier fuel exclusively from a high volume truck stop. All of their 91 octane fuel is ethanol free and the move a lot of it so there should be no stagnation issues.

I'm going on a 2400 mile road trip starting next week so I should get a chance to try a variety of fuel and see if it makes any difference.

Edited by bjurkovski

I've been running Kwik Stop 91 Octane ethanol free Top Tier fuel exclusively from a high volume truck stop. All of their 91 octane fuel is ethanol free and the move a lot of it so there should be no stagnation issues.

I'm going on a 2400 mile road trip starting next week so I should get a chance to try a variety of fuel and see if it makes any difference.

I do not buy any thing but Exxon Mobil. They do not shop price daily on truck loads of strange unknown fuel like truck stops do. Exxon does not play games with their quality. To shop for a penny here and a penny there with different fuels is ok for the old 6 cylinder chevy inlines but not the new engines we have today. Our marina manager where we live shops fuels to make profit and sells bad fuel to all the boats except me. Different "Bootleg" trucks deliver the fuel to him and all the boater have problems and problems. Our manager just does not "Get It" ?? Camp out at your truck stop and you will see different trucks with no names delivering fuel. It will take a lot of miles to be running 100 % clean good fuel as you will be diluting the bad fuel each fill up. Good luck and drive safe.

Been on the road trying different fuels and no difference in the rough idle condition. If anything it's gotten worse. Now have 3500 miles on the odomotor. I have a video that shows the vibration. How do I upload it?

Hi bjurkovski,

We apologize for the rough idle you've encountered in your 2016 Yukon Denali. We'd like the opportunity to follow up West Auto GMC on your behalf and consult with our internal resources regarding this concern. Please feel welcome to send us a PM if this is something of interest. You can also email us at [email protected] if you'd like to send us the video to review. Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

I have 2015 Chevy suburban which I bough new ,at 60000 mile check engine light came on code p0430 the code is gone but the car is idling rough .

Chevyguy,

We understand you may have a similar rough idle in your 2015 Suburban. Feel free to send us a PM as well if you'd like for us to look into this for you. We're happy to assist with getting this addressed if interested.

Kind Regards,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

Been on the road trying different fuels and no difference in the rough idle condition. If anything it's gotten worse. Now have 3500 miles on the odomotor. I have a video that shows the vibration. How do I upload it?

You have been trying different fuels every time you buy at your truck stop. And now you are buying different fuels on the road ? From now on try Exxon Mobil ONLY , when your engine performance improves then stick with Exxon Mobil. I only hope you have not fouled a spark plug or 2......? Merry Christmas to you and drive safe. A can of B-12 fuel additive every fill up till you get home will help.

Edited by Booty

• 1 month later...

I've had the same rough idle issue for a year. Every time I take to Van Chevrolet in Scottsdale for any service I complain about it and every time they say there are no error codes. I've printed out the TSB to show them tomorrow when they replace the warped windshield cowl. This is the first Suburban I've been disappointed in; I've had an '03, '07, now this '15. Too many issues that they say are within specs.

Anyone have problems with the heated seats not warming?

• 2 weeks later...

I took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the motor mounts but there's no change in the condition.

They measured the vibration with a picoscope and said the vibration is within specificaions.

I've test driven other Yukon's and they do not idle like this one. I Think I'm going to trade her but I'm not willing to take another chance on a GM product and going to go for a LX 570 since our Toyota's have been flawless. Really too bad for GM to loose me this way since I've been a longtime loyal customer having purchased 5 GM vehicles totaling almost 300k over the last 15 years.

• 1 year later...

Mine just started idling rough this summer.. I finally took the vehicle in last week and so far they say they cannot reproduce it.  At least the dealer I went to is trying.  I gave them the http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?p=5099 article and the service rep said they'll take a look at it.. hopefully they try it out.  

This is my first new Chevy and if stupid little things like this keep coming up I will be glad to get rid of it and go back to Japanese cars, hind sight says I should've gotten a Tundra.  BTW, my 2016 silverado LT only has 17k, it shouldn't be doing this rough idle/shaking intermittently at a red light.

But my family is growing so.. maybe it's time to get a full size SUV (not Chevy) next time.

Edited by cs2016lt

• 1 year later...

I have a 2018 with 9000 miles on it.  Same thing. Rough idle in drive at stop light. Dealer says normal. I tightened all clamps on intake hose at the filter box and intake. I also tightened the screws that hold the air flow sensor in place.  I also dropped in k&n filter.  It feels much better.  Not perfect but hardly noticeable. Mine idles at under 500 rpm