Duramax Colorado & Canyon- On Sale Or Not?

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-02158100-1450387788_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
12/17/2015

Has any reader of this post actually taken delivery of a Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon with a Duramax 2.8-liter diesel engine? The reason we ask is that according to one of our respected peers on the internet there are no diesels for sale yet. Meaning a truck a customer can take home. This is not what GM led us to believe. Rather than ask the company for a third time when the trucks will reside in buyers' driveways we thought we'd check in with you, the biggest fans of all.

post-139450-0-54897800-1450387761_thumb.jpg

If you actually have one - not on order but in your driveway - please comment below. If you do have an order in tell us when the dealer has promised delivery. Thanks in advance.

I am 99% sure not a single diesel has been invoiced. See this thread on coloradofans.com

http://coloradofans.com/forums/153-2nd-gen-colorado-canyon-purchasing-ordering/262289-diesel-tpw-117.html

I am a member there and have been following the thread intently as I was hoping to pick up a used diesel colorado next spring once some earlier adopters get theirs and then decide it's good but on to the next best thing. At the rate it's going the guys over there will be lucky to have a new one by then. They have brought alot of attention to the web/media/blog with the thread over the last couple days.

I know of someone who claims to have ordered one (dealer stock order) and it built but its being held for quality control for an unknown time frame.

Here is one I found in Texas, in transit

1GCPTDE17G1181021

http://www.classicchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/new-2016-Chevrolet-Colorado-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_Z71-Grapevine-TX/2663523103

My guess is that they are holding the first batches for extra QC work, just like they did when the new Camaros were brought back. If that's the case, they are making sure everything is good on them, so the first customers don't get screwed around.

Or maybe it's something else altogether......

I was under the understanding that there lots of these trucks built but that the US EPA had ordered GM not to release them for public sale yet. Doing emissions testing or something. It stemmed from the Volkswagen scandal were they lied about the emissions their diesels were putting out so the EPA was testing these GM trucks to make sure it didn't happen again!

I may be wrong ! hahahha I think I read this on the GM Media website!

Another CF member here as well, and living the diesel dream since August. :(

As far as I'm aware there is only one truck "In the wild." It was sent to the dealer but held due to GM not releasing an invoice. I have yet to hear a single delivery of a diesel.

There have been around 400 built and held at the factory. Watching dealer websites you'll notice they're listed as 'in transit' as soon as they hit intermediate delivery status. That TX truck is likely in that same situation at the moment.

I've heard a lot of speculation and rumor that the EPA is involved, however the evidence to the contrary is mounting. EPA certification came along early in November. At the time GM was yelling from the rooftops that the additional EPA scrutiny wouldn't cause any delays.

I was at my dealer last week and asked about the diesel, there answer was they won't be released in till next summer because of the VW emissions scandal, they said the same people who designed the VW fuel system are the same who designed the 2.8L and because of that there is a hold up, don't know if this is true but that's what I was told at my dealer after I enquirerd to purchase a 2.8L duramax...

A Duramax midsize is stupid GM needs to build a Duramax 1500 before they even think about building a stupid midsize tonka toy truck with a Duramax. Them little trucks suck to haul anything and some are worse on fuel then a full-size that can handle way more designing this quarter ton was waste if time for GM they sould be more focused on other stuff like 4.5 Duramax for the 1500 series.

• 2 weeks later...

This tells me the EPA ruined it. It's going to end up a slow and useless engine once the EPA works their "magic" on it. That's my take, anyway ...

Archived