GM metallic paint. Deep ocean blue metallic

Has anyone tried matching any of the GM metallic paints? The dealer is offering to fix 2 chips in the paint by repainting and I'm worried about matching the paint. The blue has a lot of metallic in it that is very noticeable in the sun.. I'm worried about either too much metallic or too little.. It's the top of the rear door above the handle and will be very visible...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dropped mine off today for repair.. Dealer lent me a 2016 as a loaner. It doesn't have 4x4, z71, or trailer pkg. I think it drives better with out all these options. I was impressed .. It feels smoother (shifting, steering, etc) than my 2015.. Now I must have CarPlay in mine.

Honestly, that is why I avoided a metallic paint this time around.

My 2011 was a special edition paint, the Laser Blue Metallic. It is a total bear to match deep blue metallic paints. 98% of the time it means painting an entire panel. All fine and dandy if someone else is covering the bill, but one day that bill could be yours.

I opted for the Summit white this time around. It isn't that exciting but looks classy. It's super easy to fix, hide damage, and detail. Any paint touch ups are fast and easy, and summit white is a cheap paint color. I had a choice of Iridium metallic or the white when I picked out my 2015. That iridium is the closest paint to being black without it actually being black.

Why all these sheeps keep buying all these black trucks I will never know. Absolutely worst color for a vehicle in all aspects. It isn't even an exciting color, so I am not sure why so many people have a stiffy for black vehicles.

If I had my number 1 choice, it would be the victory red. I still miss that color.

I won't purchase a dark color truck again. My Rainforest Green Silverado is a bear to keep looking clean in West Texas and shows any rock chip. White is the easiest to maintain.

White or silver. I would buy a silver truck again, but I am done with dark colors as well.

This white truck is so damn easy to clean, I am saving a ton of time when I detail.

White color is definitely the most practical color here in Florida as it tends to reflect heat instead of absorbing it like dark colors do. The difference between a white and black vehicle in terms of getting hot on a hot summer day is incredible. White vehicle feels cool to the touch, while you can literally burn your hand on a black vehicle finish if you leave it on there for a few seconds.

White is my least favorite color. I like dark metallics. They just pop and get so many compliments. People just don't say "damn that Summit white is really pretty. I love when the sun hits it man it really glows! White may be cooler in temp and easy to match and can you could probably use a rattle can with good results but to me, it is a generic boring color. Summit white is the standard work truck color and looks too construction, cable company, Government, state, local, utility company and plumbing truck looking. To me there's nothing exciting about it. I've had Indigo blue, deep ruby and deep ocean and have always gotten endless compliments with the sun glow and metallic. JMO :D

I have to admit that the blue is growing on me.. I liked the ruby red color but it sold before I made up my mind. It's just a pain to keep clean.. My fathers silver hasn't been washed since he bought it and it looks cleaner than mine.

It isn't only about the color.

IMO, accessories or customized add ons make the truck, not just the color. Clean white with a nice polish to it and a few accessories here and there looks very classy. For the odd time a dark color looks good...no thanks, way too much maintenance involved.

It isn't only about the color.

IMO, accessories or customized add ons make the truck, not just the color. Clean white with a nice polish to it and a few accessories here and there looks very classy. For the odd time a dark color looks good...no thanks, way too much maintenance involved.

Ehhh... yea I disagree. It's about color as well. I don't think a Dept. Of Transportation orange, lime green or lemon yellow is pretty on a truck no matter what or how many accessories you have. Accessories can "enhance" the look of the truck depending on color. Maintenance? That's the thing. I like washing and polishing my truck and motorcycles as well and love the smooth, glazed look and love when the suns kisses the high metallic content that GM paint is known for. I like them clean and like getting compliments. I always have some ask "man what color blue is that"? That's beautiful! I don't think you'll hear someone tell a summit white owner " damn what color is that white"? That's a beautiful color! I don't think the foreman of the construction company gets compliments on his summit color white paint. I never heard anyone tell our State Police here who drive summit white Tahoes say that's a pretty color or tell the utility worker you're white truck color is awesome. So yes, it's about color as well. It is what it is.

Why add embellishments and accessories if you're worried about maintenance? I must say that a white truck with road/brown mud film doesn't look too pretty. Some like white, I don't. A pearl or diamond white isn't too bad. But plain old utility grade summit white? Not for me bud... Like I said, it's JMO.

Archived