Who loves their 5.3?

Personally I love my 5.3 and feel that it is a great engine, recently I have been seeing a lot of people commenting on the 6.2 and how great it is and how they feel the 5.3 is slow and lacking power. I just have been wondering how many 5.3 fans we have out there.

Coming from a 05 Chevy equinox with 185hp 3.4 V6 the 5.3 with 355hp feels pretty quick to me. I also have no problem with the throttle response, there is a very slight delay but nothing really noticeable especially when I put my foot in it. This weekend I was towing around 3000lbs which is nearly half of my towing capacity with 3.08 gears and I could feel it slightly but the truck handled it very nicely and I had no problem with acceleration especially with tow/haul turned on. As I said I feel the 5.3 is a great overall engine and does just fine in a half ton truck, I am more than satisfied with mine.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too love my 5.3. I am coming from a 2009 accord with 180hp, so its a huge upgrade for me. Is the 6.2 better? Im sure. Is a 6.2 worth $15k+ more (ltz package that i wouldve had to step up to for me to get a 6.2)than i paid for my 5.3? Not to me! No thank you

I too love my 5.3. I am coming from a 2009 accord with 180hp, so its a huge upgrade for me. Is the 6.2 better? Im sure. Is a 6.2 worth $15k+ more (ltz package that i wouldve had to step up to for me to get a 6.2)than i paid for my 5.3? Not to me! No thank you

I thought about the whole 5.3L vs. 6.2L thing for about a year before pulling the trigger on buying a 2015 Silverado. It boiled down to Wants, Needs, Practicality, and Cost.

Of course I wanted the bigger badder 6.2L engine, but I really didn't need it at this time, as I won't be towing any significant amount of weight for at least another 10+ years when I get a 20ft travel trailer. Until then I will only be towing and hauling engine-powered toys or a pop-up trailer at best. I also didn't want to have to feed my truck more expensive 91 octane fuel. So, for me, the 5.3L with 3:42 gears made the most sense. Having had it for almost 6 months now, I can confirm that I made the right decision. After adding an Airaid MIT and a Borla catback exhaust, the power and performance are good, so I'm happy. After the warranty expires, I will be adding a tune, which will wake the engine up even more.

To be real, I don't LOVE the power and performance, but I definitely really LIKE it.

My feelings are exactly the same was Tek74. I haven't done any engine mods yet but frankly I would only do so for a little more growl. I use my truck for the bed space (I am an avid mountain biker and keep a lot of tools and bike stuff in the truck) - I don't tow anything of significance. On long hauls I'm happy with the gas mileage - 5.3 fits me very well.

Archived