TYRICH88's 2015 Z71 BUILD

tyrich88

Well... I bit the bullet and bought a tuner for the truck just a few minutes ago.

Got the DiabloSport intune I2

I got a really good deal from AutoAnything that I couldn't pass up.

So we will see how things go with the tune! Hoping for some pretty good results!

Well... Here is my latest pic.

Love this truck.

ce65d8e4-5378-479c-b8c3-c5b6329491ee.jpg

Have some upgrades in mind, but not sure which one I want to do first...

Thinking about a custom tune from DiabLew.

Eventually going to get some new wheels for it, probably Methods.

Vinyl wrap the bumpers to black?

More lift?

Idk... Suggestions anyone?

Personally I like the way it sits and looks, especially glad to hear the tire size you chose works well- that's the size I might consider for running a ST/Maxx for hunting/winter use. Personally I like the polished Method standards and I think they would look baddass on your rig. I'm considering that as a wheel option for an off road tire as well. I prefer a 17" for more rubber- but I travel a lot of offroad here in Montana.

I'm a fan of modest lifts on these trucks. Just personal preference. 2-2.5" looks good, doesn't hamper the usefulness of a truck, etc. More than likely I'll run a Bilstein 6112 for about 2" lift, run a 285/70 17 tire and Method standards. My truck is the Ocean blue and chrome.

Personally I like the way it sits and looks, especially glad to hear the tire size you chose works well- that's the size I might consider for running a ST/Maxx for hunting/winter use. Personally I like the polished Method standards and I think they would look baddass on your rig. I'm considering that as a wheel option for an off road tire as well. I prefer a 17" for more rubber- but I travel a lot of offroad here in Montana.

I'm a fan of modest lifts on these trucks. Just personal preference. 2-2.5" looks good, doesn't hamper the usefulness of a truck, etc. More than likely I'll run a Bilstein 6112 for about 2" lift, run a 285/70 17 tire and Method standards. My truck is the Ocean blue and chrome.

Thanks! Thats one of the wheel options I have been eye balling! Thinking about either 285/70/17 or 295/70/17 for a little more height (which would be the same as these 275/70/18's I have now)

I like the height it is at now, I think more than anything I just want better/more effective suspension for when i'm off-road. I would really like some fox or Icon's. I've also thought about the Bilsteins, but don't really know as much about them or how they are compared to the Rancho's I have. I figure they're better, but just dont know as much about them.

The tuner should be waiting on my doorstep when I get off work today too. Looking forward to seeing how that does.

I had a 2016 Tacoma for about 6 months and 14,000 miles. I put the 6112's and 5160's in the rear. It was a great set up. There were 5 setting on the 6112's for the Taco- I had them set at '3'. I put 5,000 miles on them truly 'off pavement' during hunting season. Lot's of rutted dirt roads, fields, up on Ntl Forest and BLM lands. Very controlled, not harsh. The ST/Maxx's were a great tire for what I use a truck for.

652782D6-16DB-4D00-894B-38E59F1EE567_zps

57F0F000-02E7-4CB7-9DD2-0E562F137B22_zps
6E8443A4-DCF8-43A3-910E-5F0351C09BE8_zps

Edited by Threerun

Honestly I think anyone looking to truly upgrade suspension for 'use' should really ask themselves if they are really going to benefit from Kings, Icons or Fox. That gets really spendy really quickly. I could comfortably drive my rig 50mph on some shitty roads and have complete control with the Bilsteins. Are they better than Icons? No. But are Icons that cost $2,000 more for a comparable set up be worth the difference? To me- no.

Honestly I think anyone looking to truly upgrade suspension for 'use' should really ask themselves if they are really going to benefit from Kings, Icons or Fox. That gets really spendy really quickly. I could comfortably drive my rig 50mph on some shitty roads and have complete control with the Bilsteins. Are they better than Icons? No. But are Icons that cost $2,000 more for a comparable set up be worth the difference? To me- no.

Thanks a bunch man!!!

That's really helpful!

Sounds like you do a lot of the same offroad driving that I do, just a little more frequent than me.

Do you know the difference in the 6100 series and 5100 series bilsteins?

Idk that I do offroading that would warrant the icons or anything else that expensive... didn't know bilsteins were that good though to be honest.

Pretty big difference. I had an off road model Tacoma, so they had factory Bilsteins that for all intent and purposes are similar to a 5100 shock. The 6112's, in my opinion, were TRD-OR Plus. Actually the 6112 is basically the shock that Gen 2 Tacoma Pro used- so they are that good.

Very controlled, planted and extremely fast rebound over rough and varied terrain. I really pushed the crap out of them. I took my wife for a wild ride on a road that was littered with mud holes and potholes that were deep as hell, whoops, ruts- you name it. 30mph on some shit that by all rights someone should be creeping through at 10mph or less. Her feet came off the floorboards multiple times, lol.

They were absolutely meant for the Tacoma, IMO. Out in eastern Montana where I bird hunt I can be on a rutted, washboard road and drive 55mph with complete control. No shock fade and they were getting a workout.

The Tacoma 6112 vs 5100 is:

60mm Piston vs 46mm Piston

2.65" Body vs 1.95"

18mm shaft vs 14mm shaft

Edited by Threerun

Pretty big difference. I had an off road model Tacoma, so they had factory Bilsteins that for all intent and purposes are similar to a 5100 shock. The 6112's, in my opinion, were TRD-OR Plus. Actually the 6112 is basically the shock that Gen 2 Tacoma Pro used- so they are that good.

Very controlled, planted and extremely fast rebound over rough and varied terrain. I really pushed the crap out of them. I took my wife for a wild ride on a road that was littered with mud holes and potholes that were deep as hell, whoops, ruts- you name it. 30mph on some shit that by all rights someone should be creeping through at 10mph or less. Her feet came off the floorboards multiple times, lol.

They were absolutely meant for the Tacoma, IMO. Out in eastern Montana where I bird hunt I can be on a rutted, washboard road and drive 55mph with complete control. No shock fade and they were getting a workout.

The Tacoma 6112 vs 5100 is:

1. 60mm Piston vs 46mm Piston

2.65" Body vs 1.95"

18mm shaft vs 14mm shaft

Awesome! Well... I tried to do a little looking to see how much the 6112's were and can't find them for a silverado anywhere.

I don't offroad a ton, but when I am offroad in the mountains i'm usually on washboard/grated roads, which are one of the big reasons behind upgrading suspension.

Would you think the 5100's would be sufficient?

6112's aren't out yet for our trucks. Possibly in the spring. I found a used set of 5100's and I'm running them now with the fronts on the third notch. They're fine. A little less plush than stock, but nice. Less roll and nose dive.

When the 6112's get released I'm swapping out.

6112's aren't out yet for our trucks. Possibly in the spring. I found a used set of 5100's and I'm running them now with the fronts on the third notch. They're fine. A little less plush than stock, but nice. Less roll and nose dive.

When the 6112's get released I'm swapping out.

I already have a leveling spacer installed so I would run them on the stock height probably.

How do they handle offroad?

Mostly curious about fast choppy stuff and washboard. That's where the stockers tend to kind of rattle your brains out because they dont rebound very well at all.

I already have a leveling spacer installed so I would run them on the stock height probably.

How do they handle offroad?

Mostly curious about fast choppy stuff and washboard. That's where the stockers tend to kind of rattle your brains out because they dont rebound very well at all.

That I couldn't tell you. I have not had the opportunity to take my Chevy offroad a lot. I live about 2 miles down a pretty beat up roadmix/mud/dirt road. They are okay, but i don't travel that at speed. Plus we've been snow/ice covered since I bought the Chevy in December. Just now beginning to thaw. The 5100's ride nice- but I have no idea how they handle the knarly stuff.

I don't think I'll flog this Silverado like I would a Tacoma. I might run these next hunting season on and then make up my mind.

That I couldn't tell you. I have not had the opportunity to take my Chevy offroad a lot. I live about 2 miles down a pretty beat up roadmix/mud/dirt road. They are okay, but i don't travel that at speed. Plus we've been snow/ice covered since I bought the Chevy in December. Just now beginning to thaw. The 5100's ride nice- but I have no idea how they handle the knarly stuff.

I don't think I'll flog this Silverado like I would a Tacoma. I might run these next hunting season on and then make up my mind.

I dont flog mine by any means and I dont hit very gnarly stuff very often. Just know that i lose traction a lot when moving at any kind of decent speed on chattery dirt roads.

Maybe I will install some 5100's here in a few months.

For now I am going to get a feel for my new tune. Just loaded that this morning. Haven't gotten to drive it much, just to work. But the shifting feels different for sure. I need to play with it a little more to get a feel for what it's done. Then get a custom tune from Lew.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my new headlight bulbs in a couple of days ago and got them put in. Not the best pictures, but I got some pictures nonetheless

Here is the before with the stock bulbs:

A90DF196-3964-4A30-A761-E27B5BAB4D37.jpg

Here is the after with the Osram Nightbreaker unlimited bulbs

694CADF2-14ED-4A0B-BE3B-75C86C41E1DB.jpg

It got darker so it shows a little more of a change than it actually is, but they are significantly brighter and have a whiter light as well. They seem to put out more light than my sylvania ultras i had on my last truck.

I also ordered my camper shell yesterday, so more updates when that comes in.

So to follow up with this post from a year ago... Over the last 3 weeks both of the headlight bulbs I ordered and posted about in the mentioned post have both gone out. They lasted me almost exactly a year and about 20k miles. Seemed a little short lived to me, but they were great while they lasted. I have gone back to the stock bulbs for now and will be looking into some LED headlights here pretty soon.

Diode Dynamics is supposed to be releasing some street legal LED headlight bulbs soon.

Open to other suggestions as well if anyone has them.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:
Since I installed the DiabloSport tune I have only been driving to work and back, no highway miles or anything to really test the capability other than some accelerations up to about 50mph.
WOT is much improved, acceleration is great and I am just using a canned tune so far.
With my 275/70/18 BFG's I found that 32.2" is almost dead on for the speedometer adjustment. It's about 1/4 mph slow at 70-75, which is fine with me.
I took a road trip with a good buddy of mine yesterday up to Amarillo to pick up a boat he bought and we took my truck so i could try it out on the highway.
On the trip up to amarillo i went 75-78 mph and averaged 20-22 MPG the entire trip up there, which is MUCH improved from the 17 MPG i got on average without the tune. There was little to no wind and the road is pretty flat so thats a pretty true test of what it can do.
On the way back we were going into a 35mph headwind and pulling a boat, so gas mileage on the way back sucked pretty bad lol.

Here is a pic i got yesterday.

66B7FC07-62CE-4C7E-A195-231243B41A69.jpg

• 1 month later...

Another update:

Got DiabLew to do a custom tune for me after putting some miles on the canned tune.
I was running the 87 octane tune with some adjustments made for tire size, throttle boost, removed the speed limiter, etc. The tune was good but I knew there had to be more so I contacted Lew.
I did my data log and have installed the first tune. I only have about 20 miles on the truck since then but it already feels good and it's just learning the tune/ fuel trims at this point!
I have been running an Airaid MIT for a while with a drop in K&N filter and have decided to go with a full on cold air intake as I want to try to get the most out of my truck and this tune.
I ordered an intake today and will be selling the Airaid MIT and K&N Filter as of tomorrow, when the new one gets put on.

I'm looking forward to the changes of this full CAI and then having a tune done to get the most out of its advantages.

Here's a pic I took the other day out near the mountain bike trails here in town.

34A43BB0-4CA1-4214-BC57-9B52D471C0FB.jpg

• Like 1