The perfect truck tire... noise vs tire life vs fuel milage vs appeara

I checked the forum but didn't find much on this topic. I'm looking at getting different wheels and tires for my 2015 Z71 1500. I already have the RC 2.5 lift installed (both front and rear parts installed), and so I'm looking at 33" dia tires. I've zero'ed in on the wheels that I want... so this topic is mainly about getting some advice on the perfect tire. I live in MN, and do about 20,000 miles per year, with 95% on-road and 5% off-road. I'd be using these new tires mainly in the Spring/Summer/Fall months. Here is the problem... I love the aggressive look of tires like the Toyo Open Country M/T, and Goodyear DuraTrac, and Nitto Trail Grappler, but I'm worried about too much road noise, and quick tire wear given my highway miles, and decreasing gas mileage. I'm currently running 285/65/R20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's and would say that the road noise on these tires is no big deal. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being low, I'd say they are about a 3-4. I can hear them grinding and humming at highway speeds, but it is barely above other default road noises at that speed (i.e. wind noise, etc), and barely above the standard OEM tires that came on the truck new. I've heard that the Nitto Trail Grappler, which is the next more aggressive tire in the Nitto line-up, are really, really loud. Other comments are that the wear of these tires have been ok, but I have dropped approx 3 mpg since I put these on. I'd like to hear from owners of tires like the Toyo Open Country MT or other similar tires on their noise vs tire life vs fuel mileage vs appearance experiences.

I've had great luck at speed on pavement and tow loads with GY Duratracs, FS Dest ATs, Hankook Dynapro ATM's. I'm 75% pavement pounding half of which is towing, and 25% heavy snow and OR. I'd say the FS Dest AT's were most quiet at a 1 or 2, and the others at a 3 - all good in my book especially with good noise insulation in the new gen trucks.

I checked the forum but didn't find much on this topic. I'm looking at getting different wheels and tires for my 2015 Z71 1500. I already have the RC 2.5 lift installed (both front and rear parts installed), and so I'm looking at 33" dia tires. I've zero'ed in on the wheels that I want... so this topic is mainly about getting some advice on the perfect tire. I live in MN, and do about 20,000 miles per year, with 95% on-road and 5% off-road. I'd be using these new tires mainly in the Spring/Summer/Fall months. Here is the problem... I love the aggressive look of tires like the Toyo Open Country M/T, and Goodyear DuraTrac, and Nitto Trail Grappler, but I'm worried about too much road noise, and quick tire wear given my highway miles, and decreasing gas mileage. I'm currently running 285/65/R20 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's and would say that the road noise on these tires is no big deal. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being low, I'd say they are about a 3-4. I can hear them grinding and humming at highway speeds, but it is barely above other default road noises at that speed (i.e. wind noise, etc), and barely above the standard OEM tires that came on the truck new. I've heard that the Nitto Trail Grappler, which is the next more aggressive tire in the Nitto line-up, are really, really loud. Other comments are that the wear of these tires have been ok, but I have dropped approx 3 mpg since I put these on. I'd like to hear from owners of tires like the Toyo Open Country MT or other similar tires on their noise vs tire life vs fuel mileage vs appearance experiences.

Like you, ive got 33" g2 terras. My buddy has the trails, and yes those are pretty noisy imo. My boss has toyo open country R/Ts which are designed to be an in-between ATs vs MTs and the tread pattern looks killer and really aggressive vs my terras, but the sound isnt nearly as loud as the trail graps. I love my nittos, but am pretty jealous of his Toyos.

Also, the Hankook ATM is another good contender. Price point on those are excellent and they are not quite as heavy as the terras or toyos, so y wouldnt take as much of a hit on mpgs. Although anything thats an AT, RT, or MT is gonna make your mpgs suffer, as they have alot more rolling resistance than a street tire

Heres a pic of the bosses open country RTs-

post-148296-0-07641000-1451673146_thumb.jpg

Edited by dbcooper

Thanks moosehead1 and dbcooper for the comments. I guess I missed those Toyo Open Country R/Ts during my last tire search. They look to be an in-between between the Open Country A/Ts and the M/Ts. I've been told that the Goodyear DuraTracs are loud and wear-out fairly fast... so I'm staying away from them, but they sure look good. In a quick review of the R/T... they do look to be what I'm after. I've heard great things about Toyo as well. If my memory serves me correctly... I think Nitto is a Brand of Toyo.

I also drive mostly paved roads. From my experience Firestone AT have been good for me. Light all terrain tire with very low road noise. Also heard and have friends with cooper at3, they are a little more aggressive with little road noise. Just a little bit louder than Firestone but still low noise.

I had two sets of Firestone Destination A/T's on my old 2004 Silverado and they were perfect for me. Not loud, great wear and mileage, used the truck for towing enclosed trailer to race track and able to drive around in snow in Athens, OH while in school with no issues.

I drive a lot of highway miles too and I like the Hankook Dynapro ATMs I put on my truck. The ride smooth, are quiet, and I've had them in the snow once and they handled great! I also liked how the Toyo open country AT looked but discount tire doesn't carry them.

Thanks moosehead1 and dbcooper for the comments. I guess I missed those Toyo Open Country R/Ts during my last tire search. They look to be an in-between between the Open Country A/Ts and the M/Ts. I've been told that the Goodyear DuraTracs are loud and wear-out fairly fast... so I'm staying away from them, but they sure look good. In a quick review of the R/T... they do look to be what I'm after. I've heard great things about Toyo as well. If my memory serves me correctly... I think Nitto is a Brand of Toyo.

Yea i belive nitto and toyo are sister companies. And man the RTs look awesome and ride smooth. I ride or drive in the bosses truck daily. The only thing wrong with them, is that they are mounted to a ram lol

Edited by dbcooper
  • Like 1

Best tires I've ever had are BFG a/t ko's and the new ko2's are supposed to be even better. They're a great compromise between on/ off road performance, quiet, wear very evenly, and offer very respectable off road capabilities. As soon as my truck is leveled a new set of 285/70/17 BFG ko2's will be going on it. I ran the old ko's in that size on my '05 Sierra and didn't lose much, if any, on my mileage. Then was duped into some cheap m/t and lost about 3 mpg from what I was getting on the a/t's.

Edited by quail hound

I have michelin ltx m/s tires on every vehicle I own (my family of 5 also only uses these tires). They are quiet, have great traction, and last forever. They also make a more off road looking version (ltx at), but I haven't tried them. Also, they are pricey, but you get what you pay for.

I installed 275/60/20 BFG KO2s on my Silverado with a 2.25 inch level and only lost about 1 mpg highway with both of those. I can feel a lot more traction in them over those crappy Wranglers and they look great. Plus the noise difference is so little that it isn't noticible, especially if you use your radio at all. Definitely get my recommendation

Edited by StayInYourLayne

I have had several sets of BFGs(only one set of the new KO2s), and they are indeed quiet. They, however get much louder later in the life if the tire, as nearly all tires do(the KOs). Not mud tire loud, but the dogs bark. They are light tires that ride great.

I have had several sets of the GY Duratracs and they are quiet for such an aggressive tire, but they get alot louder around half life and beyond. These hot my mileage about 1 mpg(but on a Duramax in a 285/60R20), but they are pretty light.

I am running my first set of Terra Grappler G2s now, and I have to say they are probably the quietest set of ATs I have ever ran. They aren't as aggressive as the BFG or the GY, but they do look good.

My 2 brothers are each running Toyos, one running the RTs and the other running the AT2s. They both look good and are very quiet. The AT2 looks very similar to the G2s. The RT looks good, but the specs say it is incredibly heavy(most Toyos are heavy).

I had a set of the Michelin LTX on my old 2009 Silverado and they lasted 70,000 miles and still had tread left, despite being poorly rotated and balanced and being damaged by this, they were still quiet. They are not what I would consider a AT looking tire, but they handled most conditions as expected. They had virtually no effect on mileage vs stock tires.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Edited by AgDoctor
  • Like 1

I have had several sets of BFGs(only one set of the new KO2s), and they are indeed quiet. They, however get much louder later in the life if the tire, as nearly all tires do.

I have had several sets of the GY Duratracs and they are quiet for such an aggressive tire, but they get alot louder around half life and beyond.

I am running my first set of Terra Grappler G2s now, and I have to say they are probably the quietest set of ATs I have ever ran. They aren't as aggressive as the BFG or the GY, but they do look good.

My 2 brothers are each running Toyos, one running the RTs and the other running the AT2s. They both look good and are very quiet. The AT2 looks very similar to the G2s. The RT looks good, but the specs say it is incredibly heavy(most Toyos are heavy).

I had a set of the Michelin LTX on my old 2009 Silverado and they lasted 70,000 miles and still had tread left, despite being poorly rotated and balanced and being damaged by this, they were still quiet. They are not what I would consider a AT looking tire, but they handled most conditions as expected. They had virtually no effect on mileage vs stock tires.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I don't know this for sure, but according to my brother-in-law, if your tires are rotated properly they should stay quiet. Just gotta make sure they wear evenly. I could be wrong but seems to make sense

Edited by StayInYourLayne