GMC IntelliLink InfoTainment Playable Video Formats

Hello everyone. I had such a hard time finding this info that I though I would make an account and share with you all. This is true for my 2016 Yukon Denali, so I assume it's the same for similar models.

Here is the formats in order to use the Rear Seat Entertainment: Movie System Information

Caution for Using Movie Files

. Available resolution: Within 720 x 576 (W x H) pixels.

. Frame rate: Less than 30 fps.

. Playable movie file: .avi, .mpg, .mp4, .divx, .xvid, .wmv.

--The playable movie file may not be played according to the codec format.

. Playable codec format: divx, xvid, mpeg-1, mpeg-4 (mpg4, mp42, mp43), wmv9 (wmv3).

. Playable Audio format: MP3, AC3, AAC, WMA.

. Max video bitrate:

- mpeg-1: 8Mbps

- mpeg-4 (mpg4, mp42, mp43):4Mbps

- wmv9: 3 Mbps

- divx 3: 3 Mbps

- divx 4/5/6: 4.8 Mbps

- xvid: 4.5 Mbps

. Max audio bitrate:

- mp3: 320 Kbps

- wma: 320 Kbps

- ac-3: 640 Kbps

- aac: 449 Kbps

. Movie files to which Digital Right Management (DRM) is applied may not be played.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting Lee I really appreciate it. Have you noticed any difference in compatibility of the front Navigation USB ports versus the rear media USB ports?

I have a 16GB thumb drive that I connect to the front USB ports and it plays right away, but I can't have the video playing up front play on the rear. When I connect the same USB drive to the rear USB port next to the climate control it recognizes that the drive is connected, but it says no compatible media found. I am going to try a few other smaller drives and different filesystem format types to see if it makes any difference.

I was able to confirm that the rear media player and the dash media player are different. On the Dash I am able to play any movies from any thumb drive without an issue. In the rear media I cannot get it to read a 16GB lexar thumb drive I have but a sandisk 8GB and sony thumb drive 4GB work just fine.

Also when I play videos that are not 720 x 567 the front will play it full screen without borders. If I play it in the rear the picture is zoomed out.

USB connected to Front Dash USB ports

Front USB Video

USB connected to Rear Media USB ports

RearMedia USB Video

This wouldn't be an issue if you could play the video playing up front to the rear screens like you can with BluRay/DVD but unfortunately it will only play on the front screen.
Update: I also tried putting the files onto a DVD to see if the behavior would be different. I burned a file DVD not a video DVD. The DVD will play the videos but it plays using Rear Media and does not play the video full screen. It seems the only way to get the smaller resolution videos to play without the borders on the rear screens from USB is to just upscale/upconvert the videos to 720x567.
Edited by NickP

• 1 month later...

I was able to confirm that the rear media player and the dash media player are different. On the Dash I am able to play any movies from any thumb drive without an issue. In the rear media I cannot get it to read a 16GB lexar thumb drive I have but a sandisk 8GB and sony thumb drive 4GB work just fine.

Also when I play videos that are not 720 x 567 the front will play it full screen without borders. If I play it in the rear the picture is zoomed out.

USB connected to Front Dash USB ports

USB connected to Rear Media USB ports

This wouldn't be an issue if you could play the video playing up front to the rear screens like you can with BluRay/DVD but unfortunately it will only play on the front screen.
Update: I also tried putting the files onto a DVD to see if the behavior would be different. I burned a file DVD not a video DVD. The DVD will play the videos but it plays using Rear Media and does not play the video full screen. It seems the only way to get the smaller resolution videos to play without the borders on the rear screens from USB is to just upscale/upconvert the videos to 720x567.

Thanks for the contribution, Lee.

I have a 2014 GMC SLT AT and am able to play movies at the dash. No rear entertainment system here (unless the wife and I are back there).

Welcome to the GM club ......... no meds are going to cure the addiction you're about to experience.

So You can play video on the front screen? How? From my iPhone? YouTube?

You can not stream video from iDevices. That's a limitation of Apple, not GMC.

You can use SD cards, USB stick drives, and possible even low-power SSD USB drives.

You can not play video on the front screen while the vehicle is in motion. If you want to bypass this you can, but it's illegal in most jurisdictions. There are places that sell VIM adapters.

You can stream video from your iDevices. You can Miracast your device with the proper dongle. You can also do the following:

1. Buy an Apple digital AV adapter cable http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

2. Buy an HDMI to composite adapter. http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-ISHD01-MediaLinx-Composite-Adapter/dp/B00LUX1F5K

As for video in motion.. its best to avoid any plug in adapters as it may cause issues with the system (hand shakes). It should be done by software to unlock the HMI module for video in motion.

http://gm-navigation.com/gm/gmc-navs/2013-2015-gm-video-in-motion-and-navigation-unlock.html

• Like 1

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, I have been meaning to look further into it but never seem to find the time!

So if I plug my phone into one of the USB drives, what can I do....

watch my home videos? will it play netflix? will it play youtube? i feel like i am missing out on the full features because i am not aware of them! thanks!

oh and does anyone know if you can get a screen mirroring thing going on?

I have to make a correction to my previous post... My 2015i Denali has the rear overhead entertainment. It has the composite inputs (1980's technology! lol). So it's not limited on the USB port and the formats as Lee listed.

DMOGIRL if you have the OEM overhead rear entertainment screen then you will have composite inputs on the back of the center console.

If you don't then you are limited. But if you do then it will be easier to pickup a Roku 1 which has composite outputs.

You can use your phone or if equipped on your vehicle your wifi hotspot to connect the Roku to the net. You will have Netflix, youtube and others. Forgot to mention have the capability of casting/mirroring a compatible smartphone.

James

Edited by jl449

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, I have been meaning to look further into it but never seem to find the time!

So if I plug my phone into one of the USB drives, what can I do....

watch my home videos? will it play netflix? will it play youtube? i feel like i am missing out on the full features because i am not aware of them! thanks!

oh and does anyone know if you can get a screen mirroring thing going on?

I've been learning all this myself.

Apple Carplay is suppose to project the items from your phone onto your screen when the device it plugged in. However, that only works with a few 'compatible' apps. From what I'm learning (but I could be wrong) - is if you plug in your device, the compatible apps will show up on your carplay screen. Which....I see the Apple video player is in there. ?? Curious....something else to experiment with!

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Thanks! Yep I have the rear entertainment so I'm excited to see I can do more then dvds.

Carplay sounds awesome too!

You will be able to do more with the Roku 1 and it only cost $49. You can use the 120V in the center console to power it up.

By the way... you have a 2015 right? Your vehicle is not eligible for for Carplay not unless you go to a 3rd party for a software hack.

I have 2 8 year olds and they can navigate through the device pretty good but have to be careful on what they pick. They seem to like Youtube. So my next project is to get my front screen unlock so I will be able to watch movies on the go so I can monitor what they are watching. I don't know about these kids today... I struggle with the PS4 and my smart phone and my 2 boys can figure it out faster than I can.. UGH. Best method and most reliable way is to do it software/firmware modification and add android Auto/carplay to it since it is a 2015 SUV. LINK

Edited by jl449

My chat session with GMC Support Today:

LIVE CHAT
Lee Coursey:1:02:51 PM
GMC - Assistance with my Infotainment system
Connection established.
Welcome to GMC
Connecting.....A live chat agent is now entering the chat.
Tiffany:1:03:05 PM
Hello, Lee! Welcome to GMC Infotainment Customer Support! My name is Tiffany, how may I help you today?
Lee Coursey:1:03:29 PM
I have a GMC Dentali XL VIN xxxxxxxxxxx
Lee Coursey:1:03:55 PM
I want to know if you can tell me the USB and SD card rear slot requirements/limits for video on the rear entertainment system.
Lee Coursey:1:04:19 PM
I want to format some video for USB or SD and get rid of my DVD's in the truck ;-)
Lee Coursey:1:04:28 PM
Are there specs for that?
Tiffany:1:04:45 PM
Good afternoon, Lee! I would be more than happy to look into this for you today! If you will allow me a moment, I will certainly get started!
Lee Coursey:1:05:08 PM
Thank you. Take your time.
Tiffany:1:06:48 PM
By the way, congratulations on your new vehicle and thank you for choosing GMC!
Lee Coursey:1:06:58 PM
Thanks
Tiffany:1:08:30 PM
The supported video file formats for the SD and the USB are: MPEG-4, Xvid, H.264-AVC, WMV9-VC1, Sorersen Spark and H.263.
Tiffany:1:08:53 PM
Sorensen Spark* Sorry about that!
Tiffany:1:09:21 PM
And then you just want to make sure the drive is formatted in either FAT32 or NTFS!
Lee Coursey:1:09:57 PM
What about resolution? I noticed if I play from the front USB that the rear is "zoomed out"....
Lee Coursey:1:10:15 PM
And what size USB/SD can I use? 4gb? 32gb?
Tiffany:1:12:03 PM
I wouldn't go over the 32GB as that is what is recommended by GM. As far as the resolution, the max it's showing me is 2048X2048 with a max file of 3MB.
Lee Coursey:1:12:38 PM
3mb? or 3Gb? 3Mb is about 1 song
Lee Coursey:1:13:17 PM
Does it say anywhere what the resolution is for the rear display?
Tiffany:1:13:21 PM
The document is definitely listed it that way. However, you're right about that so let me take a closer look.
Lee Coursey:1:14:27 PM
The manual is kinda confusing - it says it plays the same formats as the front, but the "front" section doesn't list formats. It's all very confusing. If there's a resource accessible online anywhere for us as customers I'd love to know.
Tiffany:1:15:53 PM
I do apologize for the confusion, the file size that I provided is actually listed under another section for the images.
Tiffany:1:16:16 PM
Let me see if I can gather any additional information besides the formats that we have. One moment.
Lee Coursey:1:16:23 PM
Thanks.
Tiffany:1:20:43 PM
Thank you for your patience, Lee. Unfortunately, I am only able to find information that we have already discussed (different formatting). From what I gather, the front and the back work on the same specs. However, it doesn't list a resolution for any of the actual movies.
Lee Coursey:1:22:24 PM
What about the screen itself? It bills as being an "HD" screen in the literature, but does that mean it's 1920x1080 resolution?
Tiffany:1:25:03 PM
Unfortunately, it's not listing for me the resolution in my resources. However, the dealerships service department has a CTE (certified technical expert) that may have additional information on the resolution and possibly the resolution of the dvds that you put on the USB drive as well.
Tiffany:1:26:03 PM
They are actually put in place to have hands on for these particular concerns as well as other concerns related to the infotainment system.
Lee Coursey:1:26:11 PM
OK, thank you for your help. If possible, could you pass along a request to management to have some sort of guidance document made available to customers for this stuff? It doesn't do a lot of good to have all these ports and plugs if you don't have the specs on what can be done with them.
Lee Coursey:1:26:33 PM
OK. It's not always convenient to go to the dealer for these things. I appreciate the position though.
Tiffany:1:26:55 PM
Of course! If you want, I can submit a voice of the customer for you! I would just need you to provide me with a verbatim statement to submit.
Lee Coursey:1:27:08 PM
Sure. Should I do that now?
Tiffany:1:27:39 PM
We can go ahead and take care of this now if you like! I will go ahead and begin to create the file for you as you type!
Lee Coursey:1:27:56 PM
OK. One moment while I type it up.
Tiffany:1:28:00 PM
Great!
Lee Coursey:1:32:25 PM
Although I love my new truck and all the features it affords including Apple CarPlay, it is nearly impossible to find clear information about what we actually can do with all of the USB, SD Card, and other various ports in the front and rear entertainment modules. For example, there are dozens of formats, resolutions, framerates, and CODEC's that we could use to format video. In my home, we have all of this on a network, but when trying files copies straight to a USB drive and attempting to play them on the rear entertaiment display I have no way to know what's NOT working. Is it the size of the USB drive? Is it the format or resolution of the video file? Maybe it's the encoding! Clear, concise guidelines to allow us to take full advantage of these things is crucial. After all, what's the point of paying for these awesome things if we don't know how to use them after purchase? Many other users are having the same issues. Just search for "GMC Infotainment settings" and you'll see forums full of quest
Lee Coursey:1:32:55 PM
ons. Please make downloadable scripts available to us as customers through the GMC app, the website, or somewhere else.
Tiffany:1:33:58 PM
Thank you for allowing me to document this concern for you, Lee. To update my documentation on your file, I did go ahead and add your new vehicle. Would you mind providing me the mileage for warranty purposes?
Lee Coursey:1:34:31 PM
Tiffany:1:35:06 PM
Fantastic! Thank you! The file number for this particular voice of the customer is 8-1871384976! Is there anything else that I can assist you with at this time?
Lee Coursey:1:35:17 PM
No thank you.
Tiffany:1:35:37 PM
It was a pleasure chatting with you today, Lee! Enjoy your new vehicle and have a great upcoming weekend!
Tiffany:1:35:42 PM
Thanks for using GMC WebChat. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to come back and chat with us. We are here to chat from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time Monday - Friday and Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. You can also call us at 855-478-7767. Thank you for visiting us!
You have been disconnected from the chat session. If you require further assistance, please start another chat session.

Sounds good, I'm going to pick up the Roku thing today. Thanks for all of the info. Sucks about not being able to use Carplay but oh well..yes YouTube can get a little out there! My girls love to watch YouTube with these super annoying videos of people reviewing toys! Every so often they come across a video that I'm like whoa whoa whoa shut it off!

Edited by DMOGIRL